2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

2 minutes ago, Wanderingmind said:

Does anyone know the general timeline of admissions? I know every school is different, but I'm wondering when approximately interview invites go out, and then acceptances 

Interview invitations go out between early Jan and early Feb in my experience, offers are between late Feb and late March generally. 

7 minutes ago, emsmith said:

For the CCCV, I've only just realized there are two options - Funding and Generic - does it matter which one we upload? I've made a generic one but now I'm worried I have to re-do it ?

I am 99% sure you need to do the funding CCV- see the instructions for the CGS-M CCV here. It says to choose the funding option. Please read up and double check though I wouldn't want to mislead you!

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/CCV_CGSM-CVC_BESCM_eng.asp 

9 minutes ago, emsmith said:

For the CCCV, I've only just realized there are two options - Funding and Generic - does it matter which one we upload? I've made a generic one but now I'm worried I have to re-do it ?

You need to make a Funding CCV, not generic. I think the Funding CCV gets populated with what you wrote in the Generic, so you probably don't need to re-enter too much info. Do you know how to access the Funding CCV?

1 minute ago, broski said:

You need to make a Funding CCV, not generic. I think the Funding CCV gets populated with what you wrote in the Generic, so you probably don't need to re-enter too much info. Do you know how to access the Funding CCV?

3 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

I am 99% sure you need to do the funding CCV- see the instructions for the CGS-M CCV here. It says to choose the funding option. Please read up and double check though I wouldn't want to mislead you!

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/CCV_CGSM-CVC_BESCM_eng.asp 

Thank you, both! You're right! Luckily the funding one takes most of the info from the generic one ?  it would be real pain filling in all the categories from scratch! 

Hi! Is it bad to only indicate one POI on an application? I read somewhere that listing more than one (2-3) is good, but if I have one POI at a university that i'm very very interested in working with (and have a good fit with), would listing another one make it seem like my research interests are too broad? Or would tailoring my SOI to just one POI make it seem like my interests are too specific? 

On 11/25/2020 at 3:55 AM, prospectivegradstudent21 said:

if anybody's applied to u ottawa and completed the OGS application, when they ask for a recommendation or referee, do they mean someone from their faculty like a person of interest?

hi! if anybodys applying to uottawa can u help me on this or private message me please, the deadline is dec 1 and i cant complete it bc im confused about this. i contacted them but its the weekend now so i wont get a response 

3 hours ago, emsmith said:

Thank you, both! You're right! Luckily the funding one takes most of the info from the generic one ?  it would be real pain filling in all the categories from scratch! 

and vice versa--upon submitting the funding CV, it updates the generic CV!

2 hours ago, okayidk said:

Hi! Is it bad to only indicate one POI on an application? I read somewhere that listing more than one (2-3) is good, but if I have one POI at a university that i'm very very interested in working with (and have a good fit with), would listing another one make it seem like my research interests are too broad? Or would tailoring my SOI to just one POI make it seem like my interests are too specific? 

It's ok to just include one POI

Hello, I've just found this forum. I've just submitted my applications last week and decided to throw all of my eggs into one basket and apply at only one school as realistically, I'm not in a position to leave the city until a year from now at the earliest (kids and husband's employment). 

I'm not sure how my application will be received and the thought makes me very anxious. I listed a few faculty members that I would be interested in working with but I tailored my research proposal to be very very specifically working with one supervisor. I work with her currently and she is trying very hard to work with me also for the next year and has secured funding and provided evidence of it for my application, and my proposal really only works with her research and not the others I've listed. So I really do feel like I am crossing all of my fingers to make it work in this one very specific direction. 

At the end of the day, I know that applicants often take multiple application cycles to gain acceptance, but I admit I'll likely be crushed. When does everyone start hearing from programs typically? Deadline was December 1 and I find myself refreshing the portal several times a day already. 

On 11/25/2020 at 3:00 PM, Ozark said:

For anybody that applied to UCalgary, did you get or not get confirmation emails when your references submitted their letters? One of my referees told me that she submitted her letter, but I didn't get any confirmation email about. This is because last time I applied, I got confirmation emails when letters were submitted. 

Yes. I received confirmation emails for each one. I did not receive an email from the awards application referee confirmation, but I also selected the option to use my application reference letters. My reference letter writers both emailed as soon as they were done to tell me that they had submitted it, and this was minutes after my phone had dinged indicating the confirmation from UCalgary also. 

You should also be able to check into the portal and see if the reference letter is still in your "to do" list. 

1 hour ago, CateFace said:

Yes. I received confirmation emails for each one. I did not receive an email from the awards application referee confirmation, but I also selected the option to use my application reference letters. My reference letter writers both emailed as soon as they were done to tell me that they had submitted it, and this was minutes after my phone had dinged indicating the confirmation from UCalgary also. 

You should also be able to check into the portal and see if the reference letter is still in your "to do" list. 

Did you use your U of C proposal or CGS-M one for the U of C scholarship application?

27 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

Did you use your U of C proposal or CGS-M one for the U of C scholarship application?

I used the same proposal for the application for the scholarship applications, because if accepted, it would be this project I am working on. I say this with that certainty though as the PI responsible for supervising me has secured funding for that specific project, contingent on acceptance. She isn't one of the core clinical psych faculty so we've been attempting to get all of the paperwork in place that can make it happen but I still need to get through the screening committee. 

3 hours ago, CateFace said:

Hello, I've just found this forum. I've just submitted my applications last week and decided to throw all of my eggs into one basket and apply at only one school as realistically, I'm not in a position to leave the city until a year from now at the earliest (kids and husband's employment). 

I'm not sure how my application will be received and the thought makes me very anxious. I listed a few faculty members that I would be interested in working with but I tailored my research proposal to be very very specifically working with one supervisor. I work with her currently and she is trying very hard to work with me also for the next year and has secured funding and provided evidence of it for my application, and my proposal really only works with her research and not the others I've listed. So I really do feel like I am crossing all of my fingers to make it work in this one very specific direction. 

At the end of the day, I know that applicants often take multiple application cycles to gain acceptance, but I admit I'll likely be crushed. When does everyone start hearing from programs typically? Deadline was December 1 and I find myself refreshing the portal several times a day already. 

As someone said at the top of the page, you'll likely hear about interviews in January/Feb, and then offers in Feb-March. Really hoping we didn't apply to the same person at Calgary ? I am getting a bit nervous that I didnt apply to the school I did my undergrad at, and I dont have connections with any of the profs I am applying with

Just now, Wanderingmind said:

As someone said at the top of the page, you'll likely hear about interviews in January/Feb, and then offers in Feb-March. Really hoping we didn't apply to the same person at Calgary ? I am getting a bit nervous that I didnt apply to the school I did my undergrad at, and I dont have connections with any of the profs I am applying with

I get the impression that most people apply across the country to lots and lots of programs, I'm just over here throwing all my resources at only two pathways and hoping it pays off (and if not, I'll try again next year). My proposal was insanely specific that if the person I'm applying for doesn't get approval for it, I've ruined my odds with any other - and likely not the approach I'd recommend broadly! The person I applied to for clinical psych is adjunct and not from the core clinical faculty so I super doubt we applied to the same person! 

Just now, CateFace said:

I get the impression that most people apply across the country to lots and lots of programs, I'm just over here throwing all my resources at only two pathways and hoping it pays off (and if not, I'll try again next year). My proposal was insanely specific that if the person I'm applying for doesn't get approval for it, I've ruined my odds with any other - and likely not the approach I'd recommend broadly! The person I applied to for clinical psych is adjunct and not from the core clinical faculty so I super doubt we applied to the same person! 

I also applied for a person that is clinical psych adjunct, and definitely made my proposal with her research in mind. Good luck!

HELP! I'm currently trying to indicate my 3 Fields of Study in the "Activity Details" section of my CGS-M application. For some reason, when I click the drop down menu option nothing appears and it's also not letting me type anything in. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong??

On 11/26/2020 at 11:04 PM, broski said:

Unofficial transcripts are fine for McGill counselling app, not sure for clinical. I would contact the grad coordinator as I know lots of programs are more lenient about official transcripts this year due to covid and mail delays, as you said. 

I didn't apply to York but I would just say not complete if I were you. Lots of people apply to grad school while in the last year of their undergrad, schools know this and just want to see that you'll graduate in time (they can see on the transcript) 

HI, you are applying to York too? Me too. I just realized the SOP asks for 2 pages double-line spaced!! I have almost 3 in that case!! Did you have trouble with this?

7 minutes ago, Regina77 said:

HI, you are applying to York too? Me too. I just realized the SOP asks for 2 pages double-line spaced!! I have almost 3 in that case!! Did you have trouble with this?

oh nvm, I see now you say you did not

1 hour ago, xtrahotlatte said:

HELP! I'm currently trying to indicate my 3 Fields of Study in the "Activity Details" section of my CGS-M application. For some reason, when I click the drop down menu option nothing appears and it's also not letting me type anything in. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong??

YES! This happened to me too. I refreshed the page and things went back to normal-- finished with no other complications. Just make sure you save before you leave and come back and don't panic. It's normal (at least it was for me lol) :) 

On the CCCV, under "participation activities" there's a section called event participation - what kinds of things should go here? Should I include conferences I attended even if I didn't present anything, or training workshops (e.g. qualitative analysis workshop, research management workshops, etc)?