2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

hi guys! so i know that OGS is usually done through the schools youre applying to but for the CIHR, i watched this video from ryerson explaining the process (in case anybody was needing some more information!) and went through the exact same steps they went through. my question is, once i submit my application to the CIHR, have i basically applied to the CIHR completely as in, is that the end of the process? additionally, can i still apply to more grants i see online like through the research portal website and such? i believe, from what i read, that you can only accept 1 grant so does that mean that im basically allowed to apply to a bunch of grants and then hope i get one? thanks!

Curious about how you guys have structured your statements:

Are you structuring your statements 1) in terms of skills you have for the program or 2) discussing things in chronological order?

For example 

1) Research paragraph, academics paragraph, clinical paragraph

2) First did research in this lab and then in this lab, then I did clinical while I did this...xyz

4 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Curious about how you guys have structured your statements:

Are you structuring your statements 1) in terms of skills you have for the program or 2) discussing things in chronological order?

For example 

1) Research paragraph, academics paragraph, clinical paragraph

2) First did research in this lab and then in this lab, then I did clinical while I did this...xyz

I did mine the first way you said, all my research experiences first and talked about them in chronological order and then did my clinical experiences and then my future goals and current research interests.

I'm applying for SSHRC in line with research from my best match PI at my top choice school. That same school has extended their OGS deadline so it looks like I'll have time to write an OGS application for them too. I would write an OGS application with my second best match as we had a really nice conversation earlier in the fall.

I'm wondering if writing two different funding apps for the same school could be a negative in any way? Does it make me look like I'm not actually as interested in my first choice PI? Or is two better than one in this case? Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

Question for y'all: how did you list conference poster presentations on the CGS-M CCV? In the 'Presentations' section or in the 'Conference Publications' section?

Poster presentations as in you submitted an abstract/title/etc. to the conference and they reviewed it and accepted it to be presented. 

On 11/16/2020 at 10:46 PM, Regina77 said:

Hi there thanks for this. York is my first choice just wondering from those on your cohort had most of youpublished? that's my only shortcoming. am also a mature student 35+ just wondering about this too. I have atleast 3 faculty who would be perfect fit because of their focus on illness, pain etc...did you get in touch with faculty during your application? I was just planning go take a chance and focus on a strong application and not email them. what are your thoughts on this?

Hi! It really depends on the cohort, I think. Some professors really value publications; others, don't. I personally had two first-author publications. But about half of my cohort didn't have any publications at all. Others had one or two publications that had a mix of first author or 2nd/3rd authors.

I did get in touch with faculty before submitting my application. I'd highly suggest reaching out to ensure that they're taking students; a ton of applications are put at a disadvantage because the students list potential supervisors who aren't taking students, so definitely reach out, at least just to ensure they're taking students next year. I found that often, the websites weren't completely up to date or accurate.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:49 PM, Jpsych_ said:

How detailed are you all making your proposal for CGS in terms of methods.

- Are you outlining how you will collect the data, for ex. Using interviews and the size of the sample size?

- Are you specifically outline your hypotheses? 

- Are you all using pronouns ex. We/I/our study

It’s kind of hard adding all of this information in a page so wanted your input - thank you!

Hey does anyone have any insight regarding my question above? Thanks!

On 11/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, Jpsych_ said:

For the CCV, where would we input research experience we have (but this didn’t lead to a presentation/publication)

thanks!

I’m still having difficulty where to put my research experience in the CCV. I’m leaning towards maybe volunteer experience? Not sure.. 

Can anyone help me out?

16 minutes ago, Jpsych_ said:

I’m still having difficulty where to put my research experience in the CCV. I’m leaning towards maybe volunteer experience? Not sure.. 

Can anyone help me out?

I think it may depend on if this was volunteer or paid. For me, I was hired and paid to be a research assistant, so I put it in my academic work experience. I could be wrong though

Just now, Wanderingmind said:

I think it may depend on if this was volunteer or paid. For me, I was hired and paid to be a research assistant, so I put it in my academic work experience. I could be wrong though

That makes sense. Some of my experience was paid but most wasn’t paid for ex. A thesis I did in my fourth year. Not sure where I’d put that. 

31 minutes ago, Jpsych_ said:

That makes sense. Some of my experience was paid but most wasn’t paid for ex. A thesis I did in my fourth year. Not sure where I’d put that. 

For the thesis I put that in the Thesis/Dissertation section. Paid research experience or supported by undergrad research funding --> Academic work experience. Unpaid research experiences (e.g., volunteer RA) -> Volunteer experiences?  

47 minutes ago, broski said:

For the thesis I put that in the Thesis/Dissertation section. Paid research experience or supported by undergrad research funding --> Academic work experience. Unpaid research experiences (e.g., volunteer RA) -> Volunteer experiences?  

You can put unpaid/volunteer research in the work section. Just make sure you label your position title as Volunteer RA or Volunteer XYZ . . . whatever it is that you want to call yourself depending on your role.

4 hours ago, broski said:

Can you include your undergraduate thesis in the thesis/dissertation section? 

Anyone applying to the University of Calgary? Please message me - I'm super confused about the personal statement.

There's a section on the general application form with a question for a personal statement but I fit A LOT more than one page worth of writing. I'm wondering, is this different that the statement you need to upload after you submit the general application?? 

Edited by Penguin321
spelling

2 hours ago, Penguin321 said:

Anyone applying to the University of Calgary? Please message me - I'm super confused about the personal statement.

There's a section on the general application form with a question for a personal statement but I fit A LOT more than one page worth of writing. I'm wondering, is this different that the statement you need to upload after you submit the general application?? 

No you copy and paste your personal statement.  I believe it can be 1-2 pages long. There is no where to upload it after you submit. 

Edited by Edge98

17 hours ago, Jpsych_ said:

Hey does anyone have any insight regarding my question above? Thanks!

It's very tight for space, so try to include as much of what you mentioned and make every word count! Remember to keep the language "general" enough that anyone could review it and get a sense of what you're doing (i.e. avoid super technical jargon). I would use "this study" or "the proposed research" rather than using pronouns to make it seem more professional/academic...just a personal view but it's also been recommended by some of my profs too. 

On 11/16/2020 at 10:46 PM, Regina77 said:

Hi there thanks for this. York is my first choice just wondering from those on your cohort had most of youpublished? that's my only shortcoming. am also a mature student 35+ just wondering about this too. I have atleast 3 faculty who would be perfect fit because of their focus on illness, pain etc...did you get in touch with faculty during your application? I was just planning go take a chance and focus on a strong application and not email them. what are your thoughts on this?

For clinical programs, lots of students are light on publications. I only had one when I applied and I wasn't first author. Just mention more about involvement in research or else make your research interest shine to show your stuff. 

Being a mature student is NO disadvantage in my experience. I'm not at York but there are lots of students 35+ in my program. Work it to your advantage in terms of life and career experience :) 

100% agree with the other person who replied - you really, really, really should aim to contact those POIs to have a good shot with your application. IMO in a pile of 200 applications, it's the connection with a POI that will get you through. It's not to late! Go for it!!

5 hours ago, +ve regard said:

For clinical programs, lots of students are light on publications. I only had one when I applied and I wasn't first author. Just mention more about involvement in research or else make your research interest shine to show your stuff. 

Being a mature student is NO disadvantage in my experience. I'm not at York but there are lots of students 35+ in my program. Work it to your advantage in terms of life and career experience :) 

100% agree with the other person who replied - you really, really, really should aim to contact those POIs to have a good shot with your application. IMO in a pile of 200 applications, it's the connection with a POI that will get you through. It's not to late! Go for it!!

Thanks a million for your response- so helpful thanks. In regards to contacting POI did you just email briefly? include your resume? I have this fear it could work against me if I say too much/too little?