2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

7 minutes ago, Emilyxxxx said:

I just went by what it says on the graduate applications page (https://gs.mcmaster.ca/how-to-apply/) and submitted two references. 

I ended up submitting my CV anyways. I sort of figured that if they don't want it they will just disregard it. Honestly, I have a feeling that although they don't require a CV, if provided with one, they will still use it in their evaluation. I really wish that they were more clear. It's a pretty important aspect to the application especially since the SOI is so short. 

I will probably end up attaching my CV as well. Good luck!

Hey everyone! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on adding GRE scores to your CV?

Should I do this for all schools? I just want to point more attention to it because I did well on it. Is it redundant to add it to the CV if we already choose to submit scores?

Also, do you think it might negatively impact my application if I list it on my CV when the school is no longer accepting/requiring GRE scores?

7 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Hey everyone! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on adding GRE scores to your CV?

Should I do this for all schools? I just want to point more attention to it because I did well on it. Is it redundant to add it to the CV if we already choose to submit scores?

Also, do you think it might negatively impact my application if I list it on my CV when the school is no longer accepting/requiring GRE scores?

While it is great that you achieved high scores, I would advise against this. If the program stated that they are going to remain GRE blind (i.e., not consider scores at all in their evaluation of the applicant), and then you add the scores on your CV, it could be interpreted negatively. For instance, it could imply that you cannot follow instructions, or do not respect that evaluation process. Just my opinion. If the university is "optional" on GRE scores, sending the official report in I think is enough. Adding it to your CV may be redundant/unnecessary. 

Edited by Psych1313

1 hour ago, Jpsych_ said:

Hey everyone, on the Windsor portal to submit documents, is says the GRE score is required but on the website and when I talked to a potential professor, they said it isn’t required? Are you guys uploading your score regardless?

I'm not uploading mine-- also, I've been having so many issues with the EGAS portal. It logged me out and says that my login information is wrong. I'm going to contact their IT department I'd say that's your best bet.

5 hours ago, UWOclinpsych said:

For people who are applying to Dalhousie has anyone figured out the "have transcripts emailed to us" thing? My undergrad school doesn't do that as far as I can tell but not sure where to have them mailed since they only list the email option.

So  I emailed the graduate coordinator and she said it's fine to have transcripts mailed. 

5 hours ago, Jpsych_ said:

Hey everyone, on the Windsor portal to submit documents, is says the GRE score is required but on the website and when I talked to a potential professor, they said it isn’t required? Are you guys uploading your score regardless?

I emailed them, and they said that you just need to upload a blank document there instead. The GRE scores are not required, but the system won't let you not attach something there. 

Quick question: I'm writing a SSHCR proposal that falls in line with the research interests with a PI from University A. Can I also submit that research proposal as an OGS application at University A? Is that a faux pas?? Will faculty at University A have access to review both proposals? I'm not sure if school faculty can view tri-agency applications.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Quick question: I'm writing a SSHCR proposal that falls in line with the research interests with a PI from University A. Can I also submit that research proposal as an OGS application at University A? Is that a faux pas?? Will faculty at University A have access to review both proposals? I'm not sure if school faculty can view tri-agency applications.

Thanks!

Following

Anyone know if on the "Identification" page of CGS-M, under "Proposed Host" and "Faculty", do we have to specify the supervisors we want to work with at each school? Or do they mean the faculty name for each school (like Faculty of Science/Faculty of Psych)

5 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Anyone know if on the "Identification" page of CGS-M, under "Proposed Host" and "Faculty", do we have to specify the supervisors we want to work with at each school? Or do they mean the faculty name for each school (like Faculty of Science/Faculty of Psych)

They mean the general faculty not the specific supervisor.

I'm a bit confused on CGS-M what to put for "field of application?" It seems like a lot don't fit with psychological research. I'm also assuming this is for my past research and not the current proposed project? Or am I wrong about that? Thanks!

Quick question for anyone more familiar with CGS-M.  Do your references have to have a PhD?

TL;DR Can a senior graduate student be one of your CGS-M references?

For context; I used two professors for my school applications, one who has been my lab supervisor for many years and another who taught a class I did extremely well in.  I know this is the norm for school applications, two professors.

For CGS-M, I feel my application would be stronger if my second reference is the senior PhD student from the lab I work in.  This senior PhD is currently doing his pre-doctoral residency, so won't have his PhD until the spring.  He is the one who has supervised me more so than anyone, and I feel he can attest to my experimental and publication abilities better than the professor whose class I did well in.  I am a third author on his papers and he was the second author on my only current first authorship.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to offer an opinion.

5 hours ago, Edge98 said:

I'm a bit confused on CGS-M what to put for "field of application?" It seems like a lot don't fit with psychological research. I'm also assuming this is for my past research and not the current proposed project? Or am I wrong about that? Thanks!

I suggest linking your proposal to your C-CV as best as possible. Include past research experiences in your C-CV of course, but for your profile selections you’ll want to match them to your proposed project. Select anything that remotely applies. A coherent applicant will be stronger than a disjointed one.

Edited by VanessaB

2 hours ago, Idiopathic said:

Quick question for anyone more familiar with CGS-M.  Do your references have to have a PhD?

TL;DR Can a senior graduate student be one of your CGS-M references?

For context; I used two professors for my school applications, one who has been my lab supervisor for many years and another who taught a class I did extremely well in.  I know this is the norm for school applications, two professors.

For CGS-M, I feel my application would be stronger if my second reference is the senior PhD student from the lab I work in.  This senior PhD is currently doing his pre-doctoral residency, so won't have his PhD until the spring.  He is the one who has supervised me more so than anyone, and I feel he can attest to my experimental and publication abilities better than the professor whose class I did well in.  I am a third author on his papers and he was the second author on my only current first authorship.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to offer an opinion.

I know someone who used a student in a graduate program as one of their references when applying to graduate school, so I think this is becoming more common. That prospective student received an admission offer to the program, so this type of reference worked for them. It sounds like the prof who you took a class with would be an okay reference, but you’re not really aiming to have just an okay reference. The PhD student knows your work and your abilities a lot better. I’d likely choose the PhD student. I’d be more inclined to choose them if they received major funding awards and grants during their studies. If you can say you’ve worked with student X who has been funded by agency Y, it creates a strong case for why you and your research should be funded too.

Edited by VanessaB

Does anyone know how the references for OGS work? I am wondering if my references will need to submit an additional reference for my OGS application (a reference for my application to the program, and another for my application for OGS at that school)? Or can the university just use the reference that have already been submitted for my application to the program?

15 hours ago, VanessaB said:

I suggest linking your proposal to your C-CV as best as possible. Include past research experiences in your C-CV of course, but for your profile selections you’ll want to match them to your proposed project. Select anything that remotely applies. A coherent applicant will be stronger than a disjointed one.

Thank you! That helps! The field of application part in the application is what I'm still confused about. Does anyone know which sub-categories fit with psychology?

1 hour ago, Edge98 said:

Thank you! That helps! The field of application part in the application is what I'm still confused about. Does anyone know which sub-categories fit with psychology?

Think of it as what sub categories fit your research rather than what fits psychology in general. You could also consider what faculty your graduate program resides. That might help.