2021 Clinical Psychology Applicants CANADA

4 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

Apply for other funding. OGS for Ontario schools, etc. There might be smaller scholarships/awards that are like 1-2k but thats still something! 

CGS-M

Does OGS also place a limit on how many schools you can list? Can you apply for OGS and CGS-M for the same school? Also, how do you recommend distributing funding apps for schools you are applying to? For example, should you list top 3 picks be listed for CGS as the funding amount is larger?

Which one is less competitive?

1 hour ago, NeuroLim3 said:

Does OGS also place a limit on how many schools you can list? Can you apply for OGS and CGS-M for the same school? Also, how do you recommend distributing funding apps for schools you are applying to? For example, should you list top 3 picks be listed for CGS as the funding amount is larger?

Which one is less competitive?

My understanding of OGS is that it encompasses all the Ontario schools you apply to, thus no limit. But I applied two yrs ago, things may have changed. Additionally, I only applied to 1 Ontario school so.

I was strategic with CGSM. I picked two of my top ranked/dreams schools, and then a lower tier one just in case. 

CGSM is federal so should be more competitive, theoretically? Honestly it depends on the applicants you are up against, additionally with chance and luck as unknown factors. 

1 hour ago, Mickey26 said:

My understanding of OGS is that it encompasses all the Ontario schools you apply to, thus no limit. But I applied two yrs ago, things may have changed. Additionally, I only applied to 1 Ontario school so.

I was strategic with CGSM. I picked two of my top ranked/dreams schools, and then a lower tier one just in case. 

CGSM is federal so should be more competitive, theoretically? Honestly it depends on the applicants you are up against, additionally with chance and luck as unknown factors. 

Hmm are you seen as less competitive to Ontario Schools then because you didn't apply to tri-council funding

13 minutes ago, clinical_psyc_hopeful said:

Hmm are you seen as less competitive to Ontario Schools then because you didn't apply to tri-council funding

You want to apply for as much funding as humanely possible. You are always more competitive when you've noted that you applied to funding, be it CGSM, OGS, what have you. But please dont lie on your application--be honest. Don't say you applied to CGSM for say, York, if you didn't.

Question: During a Zoom interview I got asked the question "What are your goals for graduate school?" and I really don't think I answered it right. I talked about my long-term goals (i.e. scientist-practitioner balance, working with marginalized populations) and then brought up my interest in assessments generally. I could tell from the PIs face that I wasn't quite answering their question though. Can anyone help me with interpreting this question? Were they maybe looking for something more program specific? Any perspective on this would be much appreciated! I'm sure I'll be asked again in the future. Thanks in advance!

34 minutes ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

Question: During a Zoom interview I got asked the question "What are your goals for graduate school?" and I really don't think I answered it right. I talked about my long-term goals (i.e. scientist-practitioner balance, working with marginalized populations) and then brought up my interest in assessments generally. I could tell from the PIs face that I wasn't quite answering their question though. Can anyone help me with interpreting this question? Were they maybe looking for something more program specific? Any perspective on this would be much appreciated! I'm sure I'll be asked again in the future. Thanks in advance!

Hi, I think this question is trying to get at whether you are interested in producing a lot of research/pubs outside of your thesis/dissertation. I may be wrong, but when I was asked this question and replied with something along the lines of "I'd like to publish x amount of manuscripts each year/attend conferences/network within my field of research", the prof said, "Ah yes, so you're interested in the more academic centric path in graduate school opposed to some of my other students who are more interested in clinical careers". I think it's a myth that you have you keep your career plans (scientist, practitioner, or both) a secret for all of grad school. This prof seemed to have a very good idea who in his lab wanted to continue on to research careers and who did not.
The prof may also want to know what sort of things you want to accomplish or skills you want to acquire in graduate school over and above the program requirements. It may also depend on the prof, but the one I spoke with did seem to acknowledge that I answered their question.

When do you suggest sending your references a heads up about letters? My references know I'm applying to grad school, but I want to give them a gooooood amount of time to write my letters because I know they are incredibly busy. 

17 hours ago, NeuroLim3 said:

When do you suggest sending your references a heads up about letters? My references know I'm applying to grad school, but I want to give them a gooooood amount of time to write my letters because I know they are incredibly busy. 

Ask your referees. Its very idiosyncratic. General rule of thumb is a minimum 1 mth heads up, which one of my referees subscribed to. My other just wanted 2 weeks heads up. So ask them to confirm what their preferences are.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:32 AM, NeuroLim3 said:

Can any current graduate students in clin psych share their thoughts/experiences on being co-supervised? I've heard mixed reviews from graduate students (outside of clin psych) and wondering how this may be different for this particular program.

I have personally had a wonderful experience on being co-supervised! Personally, I don't think it's an issue of the particular program but rather the supervisors you would be co-supervised by, their supervision styles, their relationship and willingness to work together, and of course, your own research interests. I have had friends in both clinical and other psych programs that have had great and terrible experiences - the experience was dictated by all the factors I just outlined. For that reason, I would more so query the supervisors you would be interested being co-supervised by and in particular, request a joint meeting if the co-supervision is viable and agreed upon to gauge what that co-supervision would look like.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:03 PM, NeuroLim3 said:

11 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

Ask your referees. Its very idiosyncratic. General rule of thumb is a minimum 1 mth heads up, which one of my referees subscribed to. My other just wanted 2 weeks heads up. So ask them to confirm what their preferences are.

I definitely second what @Mickey26 has suggested. Generally, in my experience my referees have asked for 2 weeks notice but I personally like to ask/give them a heads-up about a month in advance out of courtesy. Additionally, you have possibly already had this conversation with your referees but sometimes they may request you write your own letter which they will submit (with edits as necessary), or ask you to provide specific examples of what you would like to be discussed in your reference letter. In those cases, it's helpful for you to have as much time as necessary then!

I am hoping to make my application look a bit stronger, so does anyone think that starting a lab coordinator position on October 1st will help my applications at all for this year? Should I bother? I am worried that being in this position for this little time wont help me?

On 9/13/2020 at 1:54 AM, Wanderingmind said:

I am hoping to make my application look a bit stronger, so does anyone think that starting a lab coordinator position on October 1st will help my applications at all for this year? Should I bother? I am worried that being in this position for this little time wont help me?

I'm in the same boat as you, starting up a new position in October! You can include it on your CV and personal statement in time, and by the time interviews come around you will have more experience to discuss. New or not, I think it's very valuable as I'm hearing from profs and clin psy students to stay as active as possible in research. 

Edited by NeuroLim3

For McMaster's RCT program, 2/3 supervisors I wrote to this week who are listed on the Faculty Accepting page (below) replied saying they are not actually taking on students for 2021. Is anyone else running into this problem? Is there another Faculty Accepting page that is up-to-date? 

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/maccr/page34/admission.html 

***Update: spoke with the RCT coordinator who said this:

"Unfortunately,  we do not have a list of faculty accepting students each year.  The list of faculty you were looking at are "potential" supervisors.   I do not know who will be accepting students until I am notified which is usually in February."

Edited by PrettyFlyForACogSci

2 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

For McMaster's RCT program, 2/3 supervisors I wrote to this week who are listed on the Faculty Accepting page (below) replied saying they are not actually taking on students for 2021. Is anyone else running into this problem? Is there another Faculty Accepting page that is up-to-date? 

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/maccr/page34/admission.html 

"Unfortunately,  we do not have a list of faculty accepting students each year.  The list of faculty you were looking at are "potential" supervisors.   I do not know who will be accepting students until I am notified which is usually in February."

Oh wow thanks for this update. Mac is one of my top schools. Interesting that they don’t determine this until after apps are due

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for applying to external funding? Will be my first time doing so and wanted to see if anyone had any advice. 

Also, I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience/will be applying to both Masters & PhD programs (e.g. McGill), how did you select which external funding to apply to since students are not permitted to apply for a CGS M and a Tri-Agency doctoral award in the same academic year? 

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, PrettyFlyForACogSci said:

That's unusual. I've never heard of it being AFTER apps are due. Might be due to funding/pandemic impacts to research, including with current students (eg extending students a year, etc). Thats unfortunate sorry :(

Hi everyone!

This will be my second year applying to grad schools and I have a few questions for those of who you've had experience reapplying to schools. Last year I applied to SCCP at OISE and intend to do so again, along with some other non-clinical Master's programs.

1. Is it okay to use the same SOI again? I did reach the interview stage last year, so I think my statement was strong. I will obviously update it to reflect what I have acheived/done over the past year, but I'm wondering if it's okay to leave things like my opening story/hook and closing paragraphs the same? Or do applications committees frown upon that?

2. If I were to apply to the same supervisors again (OISE still hasn't posted who's accepting for 2021), how do you approach it? I feel like it would be a bit awkward to speak with the same people again after not being accepted. 

3. Regarding professional reference letters, last year I used a volunteer supervisor as a referee. However, I haven't volunteered since the pandemic hit in March so it may be difficult to track down referees as places have shut down, people may have left etc. Does anyone know if grad schools will be lenient with letters?

On 9/16/2020 at 1:44 PM, Roz23 said:

Hi everyone!

This will be my second year applying to grad schools and I have a few questions for those of who you've had experience reapplying to schools. Last year I applied to SCCP at OISE and intend to do so again, along with some other non-clinical Master's programs.

1. Is it okay to use the same SOI again? I did reach the interview stage last year, so I think my statement was strong. I will obviously update it to reflect what I have acheived/done over the past year, but I'm wondering if it's okay to leave things like my opening story/hook and closing paragraphs the same? Or do applications committees frown upon that?

2. If I were to apply to the same supervisors again (OISE still hasn't posted who's accepting for 2021), how do you approach it? I feel like it would be a bit awkward to speak with the same people again after not being accepted. 

3. Regarding professional reference letters, last year I used a volunteer supervisor as a referee. However, I haven't volunteered since the pandemic hit in March so it may be difficult to track down referees as places have shut down, people may have left etc. Does anyone know if grad schools will be lenient with letters?

This is just my opinion but committees see  ton of applications I doubt they will remember if you use the same SOI unless they specifically look back but even if they do I think its totally fine to just edit it because its understandable that you still have the same goals and interests. Same with POIs I doubt they will remember emails and things from last year because they look at so many. Unless you had a strong connection with a potential supervisor and actually spoke to them or did an interview with them Id just mention briefly to remind them that youve previously spoken to jog their memory. I don't think its awkward most people don't get in first try and supervisors know that if anything it shows that your dedicated and really interested in their program to be applying to them again. As for letters just check websites or email programs but I haven't seen any that have said they are waiving letters at all but you can always email and explain your situation and ask. 

40 minutes ago, Rapunzel116 said:

This is just my opinion but committees see  ton of applications I doubt they will remember if you use the same SOI unless they specifically look back but even if they do I think its totally fine to just edit it because its understandable that you still have the same goals and interests. Same with POIs I doubt they will remember emails and things from last year because they look at so many. Unless you had a strong connection with a potential supervisor and actually spoke to them or did an interview with them Id just mention briefly to remind them that youve previously spoken to jog their memory. I don't think its awkward most people don't get in first try and supervisors know that if anything it shows that your dedicated and really interested in their program to be applying to them again. As for letters just check websites or email programs but I haven't seen any that have said they are waiving letters at all but you can always email and explain your situation and ask. 

Thank you! That all makes sense and definitely helps lessen some of my anxiety about reapplying! ☺️

Hi guys! What do you suggest saying in a follow-up email after a virtual meeting with a prospective supervisor? I just want to thank them for chatting with me and re-express my interest. Also, I'm planning on reaching out again once after I submit my application or if I have specific questions. For the current clin psy students, I'm curious to hear what you think of this and if it's necessary or overkill. I'm trying to treat this like a job application but I'm not sure if it's necessary to continue to do this.

Regarding OISE, in case anyone else was wondering the same thing, this is the response I received regarding the 2021-2022 cycle:

"The online Admissions portal will open at the end of end of summer.  Please check back on the OISE on the website as more information becomes available.  No changes to the SCCP admissions program were made this year." 

So I guess we just have to wait a little bit longer!

On 9/16/2020 at 12:52 AM, sg99 said:

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for applying to external funding? Will be my first time doing so and wanted to see if anyone had any advice. 

Also, I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience/will be applying to both Masters & PhD programs (e.g. McGill), how did you select which external funding to apply to since students are not permitted to apply for a CGS M and a Tri-Agency doctoral award in the same academic year? 

Thanks! 

I'm wondering the same thing! 

Any funding application advice generally would be helpful, or any websites/articles that anybody has found to help clarify things - I find the application portals/pages themselves really confusing, I never know if I'm looking at the right award or not, or if I'm eligible without being enrolled in the program already, etc. It seems excessively complicated!