Canadian MSW Applicants 2021

17 minutes ago, tea latte 2021 said:

I would love to know the same! At this point, I just want to know so I can have an idea of what my remaining options are. No news is the worst. 

I believe they send out acceptances over a couple days, then wait list and somewhere in between rejections 

Just got my rejection for WLU May 2021! Super disappointed! I currently work in the mental health field and my average was an 86% for my undergrad! For those that got accepted, any advice? I had limited volunteer experience and I am wondering if that was a factor?

Just now, _LC said:

Just got my rejection for WLU May 2021! Super disappointed! I currently work in the mental health field and my average was an 86% for my undergrad! For those that got accepted, any advice? I had limited volunteer experience and I am wondering if that was a factor?

I know a big thing for the online program is people have 7+ years of experience! 

Just now, directcareworker said:

Me too...this is my second time being waitlisted. I'm feeling pretty discouraged this morning...

It's going to be OK! My thought is - they must like our applications if we got waitlisted... MSW programs are super competitive and there isn't enough room for all of the great applicants! Sending positive vibes out into the universe for everyone ... there will always be more intakes to apply to! 

Just now, alysha said:

It's going to be OK! My thought is - they must like our applications if we got waitlisted... MSW programs are super competitive and there isn't enough room for all of the great applicants! Sending positive vibes out into the universe for everyone ... there will always be more intakes to apply to! 

I appreciate your positivity, alysha! I don't know if the waitlist will ever move, you know? This program is the only one of its kind in Canada (for non BSW applicants, online) so folks must be applying for a reason. 

I recently moved into a managerial position at work. I wonder if I need to sit tight in this role for at least a year and then try applying again. ?

2 minutes ago, directcareworker said:

I appreciate your positivity, alysha! I don't know if the waitlist will ever move, you know? This program is the only one of its kind in Canada (for non BSW applicants, online) so folks must be applying for a reason. 

I recently moved into a managerial position at work. I wonder if I need to sit tight in this role for at least a year and then try applying again. ?

If it's any consolation, one of my best friends is an RSW and back when she did her MSW (at Western), she had a placement with several people who were waitlisted at Laurier and then got accepted in. You are certainly right -- the program is one of its kind - all we can do is wait, hope for the best, and keep trying! Fingers crossed! 

2 minutes ago, alysha said:

If it's any consolation, one of my best friends is an RSW and back when she did her MSW (at Western), she had a placement with several people who were waitlisted at Laurier and then got accepted in. You are certainly right -- the program is one of its kind - all we can do is wait, hope for the best, and keep trying! Fingers crossed! 

I really hope so! I got feedback on my application after being waitlisted the first time, and I thought I had a good chance after that...so I'm really curious what it takes to get in. 

Anyone who received an offer, please let us know your background so we know what they're looking for!

26 minutes ago, directcareworker said:

I really hope so! I got feedback on my application after being waitlisted the first time, and I thought I had a good chance after that...so I'm really curious what it takes to get in. 

Anyone who received an offer, please let us know your background so we know what they're looking for!

I'm sorry to hear your news all, don't be discouraged! We are competing against some pretty amazing people! Keep trying and don't give up till you get in, that's my mantra!

1 hour ago, olivolia said:

I believe they send out acceptances over a couple days, then wait list and somewhere in between rejections 

15 hours ago, Nabsterz78 said:

Hey guys! Also just got WLU admission for May 2021! In major shock! Lol ?

Hi! Would you be able to share what your education/work/volunteer background is in? Would love any feedback to applying! 

45 minutes ago, viglet said:

Hi! Would you be able to share what your education/work/volunteer background is in? Would love any feedback to applying! 

Sure! I’m reading the comments and I definitely don’t have several years of experience lol! I got my BA in Psych, then did a post-grad certificate in Mental Health and Addictions with Humber. For my internship, I volunteered with adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse for a couple of months. I then taught educational programs in provincial correctional facilities for around 2 years, with both women and and men. After that, I worked at a halfway house with women (that were on parole/probation) for around 4 months, then jumped in to insurance for about a year. I hated it, so I relocated to Nova Scotia and I’m working with at-risk youth now (for about 6 months). I don’t think it’s necessarily all about the years of experience you have..it’s also about what kind of work you did. With that being said, I still thought that I would need more experience to get in! 

I hope this helps! Good luck everyone - don’t give up! :) 

1 minute ago, Nabsterz78 said:

Sure! I’m reading the comments and I definitely don’t have several years of experience lol! I got my BA in Psych, then did a post-grad certificate in Mental Health and Addictions with Humber. For my internship, I volunteered with adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse for a couple of months. I then taught educational programs in provincial correctional facilities for around 2 years, with both women and and men. After that, I worked at a halfway house with women (that were on parole/probation) for around 4 months, then jumped in to insurance for about a year. I hated it, so I relocated to Nova Scotia and I’m working with at-risk youth now (for about 6 months). I don’t think it’s necessarily all about the years of experience you have..it’s also about what kind of work you did. With that being said, I still thought that I would need more experience to get in! 

I hope this helps! Good luck everyone - don’t give up! :) 

Congrats Nabsterz78! Can you share a bit about what you wrote about in the personal statement? 

1 hour ago, directcareworker said:

Hey there, like everyone has said... keep trying, and try not to get discouraged! It's such a unique program with tons of competition due to it's flexibility. 

I applied to 3 programs total, hoping to cover my bases. I got my offer for WLU May start yesterday and I plan to accept it. I have a bachelor's degree in CYC from UVIC in 2015, and since then have done international social service work (1 year), early intervention in child care settings (4 years), and child welfare  (2 years & current). I also volunteer in a couple different capacities, with newcomers to Canada and on a board with an international nonprofit for youth with addictions. My experience is really broad, and I've dabbled in a lot of different social work-type positions. Not sure if the volunteer stuff helped my application, just feeling super lucky to  have gotten in! Hope this helps! 

1 hour ago, directcareworker said:

Congrats Nabsterz78! Can you share a bit about what you wrote about in the personal statement? 

Thank you! :)

It’s hard to explain since I feel like I just wrote a summary of all my experiences..in other words, I drew from personal, educational, and employment experience. I focused on my work with marginalized people/POC (especially within corrections) which is what primarily motivates me to pursue SW.

I would say just really hone in on what it is that drives you to do this work/what you’re most passionate about! 

46 minutes ago, Hopefulmsw2021 said:

Nope. I’m waiting for the advanced standing and haven’t heard either.... waiting is terrible I hope we get some response today. 

if anyone hears please post. 

I'm also waiting for advanced standing news, I don't know if it is alphabetical but my last name starts with S so maybe later to get my news? Not sure lol, just hopeful it comes today so I don't have to keep waiting next week. 

5 minutes ago, Hopefulmsw2021 said:

I’m H lol.... I’m thinking they may send out all the admission notices at once and then the waitlists and rejections the day after...  

People have been getting news on random days, it seems to follow no particular pattern so far, which makes it even harder to figure out!