PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

21 minutes ago, flyingv said:

I think I am in a similar situation to yours.
I got rejection from UW but was recommended their other program... It's a difficult decision for me.
I hope both of us can adequately make the best choice for us!

Let's get in touch.

By any chance has anyone heard from UNC's DrPH program? It looked like interviews had mostly gone out around now in 2020. I've only applied there and hopkins' DrPH as I plan to keep working full time but they're competitive so I'm not getting hopes up!

19 hours ago, EHEPI_PHD21 said:

Happy Friday everyone! I have 2 quick updates.

I was interviewed for the PHS PhD program at Harvard last week. I had overwhelmingly positive interactions and needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting an update on the status of my application. 

Also, Emory has interviews planned for the first week of February. 

Love reading all the uplifting notes, too! Stay hopeful and best of luck ? 

How was your interview for Harvard? Multiple faculty members? What kind of questions were you asked? I have an interview with Harvard next week! Any help would be appreciated :)

5 hours ago, Ajrw said:

By any chance has anyone heard from UNC's DrPH program? It looked like interviews had mostly gone out around now in 2020. I've only applied there and hopkins' DrPH as I plan to keep working full time but they're competitive so I'm not getting hopes up!

Have the same question about UNC's PHD in MCH program

20 minutes ago, Littlefastpenguin said:

How was your interview for Harvard? Multiple faculty members? What kind of questions were you asked? I have an interview with Harvard next week! Any help would be appreciated :)

The interviews exceeded my expectations! I am definitely team Harvard right now ? .

IMO, the best way to prepare is just to reflect on what brought you to this moment... your personal/academic/professional experiences and why this program, POI, career choice, etc. Practice articulating these responses, but don't over rehearse. Scripted answers prevent an interview from evolving into a conversation. It really comes down to just being yourself and seeing if this is a right match for both parties. 

I will send you good vibes for the interview - you got this ?..

3 minutes ago, EHEPI_PHD21 said:

The interviews exceeded my expectations! I am definitely team Harvard right now ? .

IMO, the best way to prepare is just to reflect on what brought you to this moment... your personal/academic/professional experiences and why this program, POI, career choice, etc. Practice articulating these responses, but don't over rehearse. Scripted answers prevent an interview from evolving into a conversation. It really comes down to just being yourself and seeing if this is a right match for both parties. 

I will send you good vibes for the interview - you got this ?..

Thank you so much for the positivity! Best of luck to you as well :)How many people did you interview with?

1 hour ago, brightbluebirds said:

Congrats and good luck! Was this the Epidemiology track? I applied to epi PHS and have yet to hear back so wondering if it differs by department. 

At Harvard, the timing of interviews differ by department, and within epi, timing differs by track/specialization. Last year, I was invited to interview after many of my friends had already completed their interviews for HSPH Epi. I got in. Don't stress yet. 

21 minutes ago, DrPH or Bust said:

You and me both!  Waiting is brutal...and the DrPH apps seems to have a different rhythm than PhD apps.

Hang in there! I'm still waiting on news from every program I applied to so I'm sure there are a ton of people in the same boat. Congrats to everyone getting interviews and acceptances and hopefully we will all hear something soon!

An update, I received an email notification Jan 12 for UCSF Epi & Translational Science program interviews. So far have scheduled interviews with a postdoc (phd alumni), a POI, and one member of the admission committee in the coming weeks (till the first week of Feb). 

I contacted a POI before my application and got positive responses, but the one who would interview me is a different faculty that I also listed on my statement. 

I also applied to Harvard PHS Social and Behavioral Sciences and UW Global Health Implementation Science track and have not heard back. 

Good luck everyone! 

Edited by xxxxling

2 hours ago, xxxxling said:

An update, I received an email notification Jan 12 for UCSF Epi & Translational Science program interviews. So far have scheduled interviews with a postdoc (phd alumni), a POI, and one member of the admission committee in the coming weeks (till the first week of Feb). 

I contacted a POI before my application and got positive responses, but the one who would interview me is a different faculty that I also listed on my statement. 

I also applied to Harvard PHS Social and Behavioral Sciences and UW Global Health Implementation Science track and have not heard back. 

Good luck everyone! 

Hi,

Thanks for the update and congratulations for the interviews at UCSF. Best wishes for you. I applied for UW and Harvard SBS and Duke too. Would you mind sharing initials if you contacted any professors at Harvard SBS prior to applications? either by email or had a meetings? 

3 hours ago, PatelXX said:

Hi,

Thanks for the update and congratulations for the interviews at UCSF. Best wishes for you. I applied for UW and Harvard SBS and Duke too. Would you mind sharing initials if you contacted any professors at Harvard SBS prior to applications? either by email or had a meetings? 

For Harvard SBS, I contacted two professors. Had a 30 mins zoom with one. There were two prospective students in the meeting so we took turns to ask questions, it was a generic getting to know the program kind of meeting. Another professor replied email saying she didn't have much to add (she did answer my question in the email so to me it was still a very positive interaction). 

I think Harvard PHS is stronger committee based, and their stipend does not have RA responsibility (that's my understanding, I might be wrong). I am an international student, at UCSF the funding mechanism would be more relying on faculty grant and students work about half time efforts throughout the years (unless they secure their own funding at year 3, which is challenging for international students as we don't qualify for federal training grant and most of the university fellowships. Again my understanding). I think that explained a bit about the dynamic differences. 

Good luck to both of us :) 

Edited by xxxxling

22 minutes ago, xxxxling said:

For Harvard SBS, I contacted two professors. Had a 30 mins zoom with one. There were two prospective students in the meeting so we took turns to ask questions, it was a generic getting to know the program kind of meeting. Another professor replied email saying she didn't have much to add (she did answer my question in the email so to me it was still a very positive interaction). 

I think Harvard PHS is stronger committee based, and their stipend does not have RA responsibility (that's my understanding, I might be wrong). I am an international student, at UCSF the funding mechanism would be more relying on faculty grant and students work about half time efforts throughout the years (unless they secure their own funding at year 3, which is challenging for international students as we don't qualify for federal training grant and most of the university fellowships. Again my understanding). I think that explained a bit about the dynamic differences. 

Good luck to both of us :) 

Thank you very much :). Yes your understanding is correct. In the meeting, was it another international student with you or US degree holder? Will you be happy to share POI last initial :) 

I too keeping my finger crossed. As an international student, I also think funding is very important. Many of the federal grants are not targeting international students. Good luck to you for UCSF and Harvard. I have noticed that one applicant from SBS got an interview call in first week of January. Hope more invitation will be send out in coming weeks.

17 minutes ago, PatelXX said:

Thank you very much :). Yes your understanding is correct. In the meeting, was it another international student with you or US degree holder? Will you be happy to share POI last initial :) 

I too keeping my finger crossed. As an international student, I also think funding is very important. Many of the federal grants are not targeting international students. Good luck to you for UCSF and Harvard. I have noticed that one applicant from SBS got an interview call in first week of January. Hope more invitation will be send out in coming weeks.

In the meeting the other student was a domestic student. 

I would rather not sharing their initials. I don't really have research experiences in the specific content area with these faculty members so my story might be different than many other applicants. I was applying to the "planned behavioral change" track, then after I submitted my application I realized they updated their website and that track was revamped and basically gone...(now it's "planned social change" but they meshed the social epi & this track with the same competencies.)  

Edited by xxxxling

Background:

Epi track. Fresh postgraduate students in Peking University, China. Strong academic research and quantitative background. Published 5 original articles in journals including Nature and JAMA series, and Neurology as independent first author and total impact factor is over 50 in the past year (Average: 10). National second prize in data analysis championship held by SAS Inc.

Current situation:

US: Received an invitation to PhD recruitment day on Jan 22 from Brown U just a few days ago. Accepted by Pittsburgh U without interview.

UK: Interviewed with PI in Oxford (Population health). Genetic Epi & Biostatistics (Publications in NEJM, lancet, JAMA and BMJ). Very positive interaction. 

Europe: Karolinska Institute, oral offer. The team has a number of publications in Lancet and JAMA. A very competent lab.

Still waiting for an interview chance from Harvard. I do the best I can in research, but I am uncertain about how much chance I have. I noticed that many fellows have finished the interviews for population health science PhD program with faculty in Harvard. I have contacted two professors by mail, one of which said my CV is quite strong and he is willing to be my advisor. Anyway, I will go to Oxford if I can't make it. I am research-oriented and really do not care about the rankings of school. Actually, not all professors in top tier colleges have a good record of publications. Of course, not everyone dose a PhD for the sake of publication and scientific discovery. I am just talking about my personal understanding.

I am happy to discuss anything related to the application at this moment. Good luck to everyone.

42 minutes ago, Fatcatpool said:

Background:

Epi track. Fresh postgraduate students in Peking University, China. Strong academic research and quantitative background. Published 5 original articles in journals including Nature and JAMA series, and Neurology as independent first author and total impact factor is over 50 in the past year (Average: 10). National second prize in data analysis championship held by SAS Inc.

Current situation:

US: Received an invitation to PhD recruitment day on Jan 22 from Brown U just a few days ago. Accepted by Pittsburgh U without interview.

UK: Interviewed with PI in Oxford (Population health). Genetic Epi & Biostatistics (Publications in NEJM, lancet, JAMA and BMJ). Very positive interaction. 

Europe: Karolinska Institute, oral offer. The team has a number of publications in Lancet and JAMA. A very competent lab.

Still waiting for an interview chance from Harvard. I do the best I can in research, but I am uncertain about how much chance I have. I noticed that many fellows have finished the interviews for population health science PhD program with faculty in Harvard. I have contacted two professors by mail, one of which said my CV is quite strong and he is willing to be my advisor. Anyway, I will go to Oxford if I can't make it. I am research-oriented and really do not care about the rankings of school. Actually, not all professors in top tier colleges have a good record of publications. Of course, not everyone dose a PhD for the sake of publication and scientific discovery. I am just talking about my personal understanding.

I am happy to discuss anything related to the application at this moment. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats! If I may ask, when did you apply to Pitt? Trying to gauge when I may hear back.

6 hours ago, PatelXX said:

Hi,

A co worker of mine applied to SBS as well, and she applied to HT and KK. I don't think she has heard from anyone just yet. I don't think she met with them for any pre-interviews...... I applied to EPI and am still waiting as well. Who did you apply to?