PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

2 hours ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

I’m totally sure everyone knows this, but just a reminder that getting into these programs is so hard so I really just want to normalize rejection as most posts on here end up being interviews and acceptances! A lot of times it just comes down to funding, and not being a bad applicant. You are all stars, and you should be so proud of going through the rIgorous and expensive application process. Being rejected is totally normal (I had SO many), but I hope all of y’all end up where you want to be! ?

Thanks a lot for this post. was much needed. I got rejection news from USF. 

13 hours ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Hi everyone!!

Has anyone applied to or heard back from USC's Health Behavior Research program for F'21? 

Hi, I also applied to USC's HBR, but I haven't received any updates yet. Kind of anxious now ?  

7 minutes ago, skp_ said:

For those who have interviewed previously or are prepping for interviews coming up, do you have any suggestions on how to prepare? This is my first time applying/interviewing so am quite nervous, any insights on past experiences or guidance would be really helpful! 

Same here skp_! Everyone tells me I'm WAYY overthinking it.... lol

I just emailed the admission office of Brown (Epi). They told me that the admissions committee have decided to invite a certain number of applicants to participate in their upcoming Recruitment Day days ago. Applicants without any notifications would not be considered any further. So sad. Good luck to those picked ones! Let's look forward to other programs.

13 minutes ago, skp_ said:

For those who have interviewed previously or are prepping for interviews coming up, do you have any suggestions on how to prepare? This is my first time applying/interviewing so am quite nervous, any insights on past experiences or guidance would be really helpful! 

Hi! By no means am I qualified to give advice on this as this is my first time applying as well, but I had an interview last week and am happy to share that experience :) It was relatively conversational, and the program (an Epi program) wanted me to emphasize why specifically that program over all the others is the perfect fit for me (this was asked a few times), how my previous research experiences have prepared me for a PhD, how the PhD will help me in my future goals (they wanted a really concrete answer to this), and also what quantitative training I have. Hope this helps! Trying not to freak out too much over here as we wait to hear more responses :) 

1 minute ago, epi2be said:

Hi! By no means am I qualified to give advice on this as this is my first time applying as well, but I had an interview last week and am happy to share that experience :) It was relatively conversational, and the program (an Epi program) wanted me to emphasize why specifically that program over all the others is the perfect fit for me (this was asked a few times), how my previous research experiences have prepared me for a PhD, how the PhD will help me in my future goals (they wanted a really concrete answer to this), and also what quantitative training I have. Hope this helps! Trying not to freak out too much over here as we wait to hear more responses :) 

This helps a lot - you rock Epi2Be! It sounds like it wont be a grilling, and as long as we prepare well and can answer these key questions (and other similar "Why [program]" and "Why PhD?", we should be in good shape. 

2 minutes ago, epi2be said:

I so so soooooo appreciate this. Thanks a milli for sharing your experience, I figured it was mostly going to be things like this but wasn't sure if there were other q's I hadn't thought of. And I am sure it went well!! 

Also found this article from science mag which I'm sure everyone has seen... but I found it a helpful read! https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2019/02/ace-your-phd-program-interviews-prepare-answer-and-ask-these-key-questions

1 hour ago, SkylarS said:

I just emailed the admission office of Brown (Epi). They told me that the admissions committee have decided to invite a certain number of applicants to participate in their upcoming Recruitment Day days ago. Applicants without any notifications would not be considered any further. So sad. Good luck to those picked ones! Let's look forward to other programs.

That's sad to hear since I haven't heard back. I don't get why we cant just be notified with a rejection.

1 hour ago, SkylarS said:

Ah, thank you for posting this. I was wondering if Epi was included in that group of invites. Oh well. I'd rather just get a rejection!

I’ve only had one interview thus far and one upcoming, so I’m no pro. To add to what everyone is saying, one of the questions I got that I did not prep for (although I’ve thought about it personally) was something along the lines of: “tell me how the world would be a better place with you in this field?” So my advice would be to think globally about the broader impact of your work.

Some other things that I think helped me...

1. I practiced on video, since my interviews were all via video-conference, and I watched and rewatched it trying to gage everything from the quality of my responses to the lighting in my office and my eye contact with the camera (which makes people feel like you’re looking at them). 

2. It was a lot easier for me mentally to prepare when I thought of this as a standard job interview. I’m a bit older (early 30s) and it’s been forever since school BUT I’ve had a ton of job interviews in my life so framing it that way abated some of my fear of the unknown. 

3. I researched everyone that I knew I was going to interview with. I looked at their papers, their CV, etc. This gave me an idea of how best to frame my research interests. For example, if I’m interviewing with a demographer then I’m going to talk about the broader impact of my research from a population health standpoint vs a health systems view. 

4. My interview was very short. Think 30 or 40 minutes. Most of that time was spent asking me questions. I got about 5 minutes to ask my own. It’s helpful to have your most pressing 1-2 questions on-hand (ie the ones that will help you make a decision) vs the small talk approach of asking about everyone’s research interest. For me, I asked about funding and fit. 

5. Be authentic, bring your whole weirdo self to that interview (within reason) and see if there’s real fit. There’s nothing worse than making mistakes you can’t take back, so don’t be fake just to wind up in a program you hate. 

1 minute ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I’ve only had one interview thus far and one upcoming, so I’m no pro. To add to what everyone is saying, one of the questions I got that I did not prep for (although I’ve thought about it personally) was something along the lines of: “tell me how the world would be a better place with you in this field?” So my advice would be to think globally about the broader impact of your work.

1. I practiced on video, since my interviews were all via video-conference, and I watched and rewatched it trying to gage everything from the quality of my responses to the lighting in my office and my eye contact with the camera (which makes people feel like you’re looking at them). 

2. It was a lot easier for me mentally to prepare when I thought of this as a standard job interview. I’m a bit older (early 30s) and it’s been forever since school BUT I’ve had a ton of job interviews in my life so framing it that way abated some of my fear of the unknown. 

3. I researched everyone that I knew I was going to interview with. I looked at their papers, their CV, etc. This gave me an idea of how best to frame my research interests. For example, if I’m interviewing with a demographer then I’m going to talk about the broader impact of my research from a population health standpoint vs a health systems view. 

4. My interview was very short. Think 30 or 40 minutes. Most of that time was spent asking me questions. I got about 5 minutes to ask my own. It’s helpful to have your most pressing 1-2 questions on-hand (ie the ones that will help you make a decision) vs the small talk approach of asking about everyone’s research interest. For me, I asked about funding and fit. 

5. Be authentic, bring your whole weirdo self to that interview (within reason) and see if there’s real fit. There’s nothing worse than making mistakes you can’t take back, so don’t be fake just to wind up in a program you hate. 

OMG, you are such a wonderful person for writing this!!! Thank you so much!!!! 

17 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

You are a SAINT!!! This is amazing advice and really really appreciate it!!