Just now, Speechies22 said:

Hi thanks for the input! :) Do you remember what the class average was last year?

I just checked my SSC and the average last year was 80%. I'm not sure if the average was higher or lower than normal due to covid but I imagine it wasn't too impacted because the course was already online to begin with! :) Good luck with the final, I hope it goes well for you!

Just now, BCSpeech said:

I just checked my SSC and the average last year was 80%. I'm not sure if the average was higher or lower than normal due to covid but I imagine it wasn't too impacted because the course was already online to begin with! :) Good luck with the final, I hope it goes well for you!

Oh wow, that’s an unexpected high average! Ok that puts my mind at ease a little haha ? thanks! 

12 hours ago, BCSpeech said:

Hi Everyone! This is my second year applying and this forum has been such a help for me!

Last year I only applied to UBC and was rejected so I was honestly really surprised to get an acceptance this year after not improving my application as much as I had hoped. I also received an email from Vicki this morning offering me a spot in the UofA program off the waitlist. 

I genuinely didn't expect to get into one school let alone two so I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. I did my undergrad at UBC and I love Vancouver so i'm definitely leaning towards accepting UBC but i'm trying not to rush my decision. I have heard that UofA has a more clinical focus while UBC may be slightly more research focused? Does anyone know how true that is? Or does anyone have any insights into these programs?

Thanks so much and good luck everyone!

Hey! I'm currently a first year student at UofA. Last year I was accepted to 5 schools but when I was making my decision it ended up coming down to UofA and UBC as they were closest to home (I'm from BC). Ultimately I went with UofA because I had heard only good things about the program. Current students told me how much they loved it and that the program was very clinically focused. Also, SLPs that I shadowed told me that if they have a choice between a UBC student or UofA student for practicum rotations/hiring, they prefer the UofA ones as they find that the UBC students are not as well prepared clinically compared to UofA students. I also spoke with some UBC grads and they said that even though they love theory, the program at UBC was noticeably theory and research heavy. I'm becoming an SLP to work clinically and I'm not interested in pursuing research and so I decided that UofA would be a better fit for me. The UBC grads both said that if they had to go back and make the decision again they would still choose UBC so there is that. However, one thing both told me was that they wished UBC had an in-house clinic like UofA and some other schools have so that was an interesting point I hadn't thought of. The cost of UBC's program is notably less though so definitely something to keep in mind, although as someone said on here earlier the cost of living in Vancouver is much higher.

I'm so far enjoying my classes here at UofA. It's definitely not what I was expecting because of covid haha but I've found that all the profs really do tie the content into actual clinical work. Of course the coursework in these programs is very foundational but I do feel that I've learned some necessary skills AND how to apply them going into our spring clinic. I know most of the clinical learning will happen in placements but I do feel that I have knowledge to draw on. So while I still think we'll be starting in the deep end during placements, our profs have at least given us life jackets! Haha ? 

One thing is that I thought it would be easier to get external placements in BC but UBC gets to pick spots first so that's one thing that I wish I had known. We don't know our placements yet but its looking like I will be able to get 1 of our 2 placements in BC. So not too bad and definitely an adventure to move away but thought I would share!

I hope this helps! (And sorry it was so long haha)

Edited by s.slp

1 hour ago, jec said:

2022 program applicant here, just wondering if anybody accepted to U of A had a B- or lower in any of the prerequisites? Just wondering about the need to re-take courses. 

Hey! I had a C+ in phonetics from my second year and still got accepted. It was my only prereq below a B+. I think as long as your prereqs average out to be above a 3.5 you’re good (that’s what their website FAQs say atleast).

24 minutes ago, BrainGal said:

Hey! I had a C+ in phonetics from my second year and still got accepted. It was my only prereq below a B+. I think as long as your prereqs average out to be above a 3.5 you’re good (that’s what their website FAQs say atleast).

Thank you! That leads now to my next question, has anybody been accepted to U of A with a prerequisite average less than 3.5? 

2 hours ago, jec said:

2022 program applicant here, just wondering if anybody accepted to U of A had a B- or lower in any of the prerequisites? Just wondering about the need to re-take courses. 

I’ve spoken to Vicki after being waitlisted last year and she said that they like having pre-reqs B+ and above. If you have any course work below a B+ it’s worth considering repeating it. 

Edited by SLPhopeful127

Just now, SLPhopeful127 said:

I’ve spoken to Vicki after being waitlist Ed last year and she said that they like having pre-reqs B+ and above. If you have any course work below a B+ it’s worth considering repeating it. 

For sure, but I would say this is not a hard and fast rule, as I had two courses not at a B+ or above!

2 minutes ago, Wugs said:

For sure, but I would say this is not a hard and fast rule, as I had two courses not at a B+ or above!

That’s interesting and definitely give people hope! I got this feedback from her during the summer before they’re admissions policy changed for this year and next. I’m not sure though but it’s definitely comforting for applicants. 

14 minutes ago, SLPhopeful127 said:

That’s interesting and definitely give people hope! I got this feedback from her during the summer before they’re admissions policy changed for this year and next. I’m not sure though but it’s definitely comforting for applicants. 

FYI she (Vicki) told me that pre req grades were basically being de-emphaiszed due to the complication of them not accepting winter 2020. So I would expect that for the next few years they will matter less :)

3 hours ago, jec said:

I had a B- in neuroanatomy/neuropsychology pre-req but the rest were A's or A+ and maybe made up for that  

Hi everyone! Congratulations to everyone who applied! Going through this application process is a HUGE accomplishment itself so please don't be hard on yourself if the outcome wasn't what you expected! This is my third time applying so don't give up and please apply again!! 

I got accepted to U of A SLP, Western Audiology, and waitlisted at Western SLP in the first quadrant!

So first of all, I'm stuck between Audiology vs. SLP.  I recently fell in love with the field of Audiology after taking Intro to Aud and Aural Rehab courses. However, I've always been set on pursuing SLP for years and majority of my volunteering/work experience is SLP-related!

If anyone is in the same situation, please send me a PM! I'd also love to hear more about the programs at Western and U of A/why people are choosing these specific schools :)

Edited by AudorSLP

Hi everyone, 

Congrats to everyone who got into the program!! I know it was a tough year and everything but it's awesome to see everyone achieving their goals :) 

For those who did get in - I come here in hopes of a little advice. For some context, I was rejected from every school this semester, not even waitlisted. I have a decent GPA and some volunteer work, but all of my volunteer work was cut short due to COVID and I can't seem to find another placement. My school ends in late April, and after that I'll be working full time at a job with weird hours which is another factor standing in the way of volunteering. 

I was thinking about retaking my worst/some prerequisite courses to boost my GPA, and I was hoping to get a volunteer or research position, but obviously that's a bit more difficult right now. Does anyone have advice for finding these opportunities when you're already graduated? Most of what I have found has been through my university, and I'll no longer have access to those services. Additionally, has anyone done anything online  during the pandemic that helped bulk up your CV? Or just any general tips on aspects of your application that they changed after initial rejection that got you accepted this round? 

I would really appreciate any insight. 

5 hours ago, letmeinslp said:

Hi everyone, 

Congrats to everyone who got into the program!! I know it was a tough year and everything but it's awesome to see everyone achieving their goals :)

For those who did get in - I come here in hopes of a little advice. For some context, I was rejected from every school this semester, not even waitlisted. I have a decent GPA and some volunteer work, but all of my volunteer work was cut short due to COVID and I can't seem to find another placement. My school ends in late April, and after that I'll be working full time at a job with weird hours which is another factor standing in the way of volunteering. 

I was thinking about retaking my worst/some prerequisite courses to boost my GPA, and I was hoping to get a volunteer or research position, but obviously that's a bit more difficult right now. Does anyone have advice for finding these opportunities when you're already graduated? Most of what I have found has been through my university, and I'll no longer have access to those services. Additionally, has anyone done anything online  during the pandemic that helped bulk up your CV? Or just any general tips on aspects of your application that they changed after initial rejection that got you accepted this round? 

I would really appreciate any insight. 

Heyy!! I know how it feels as I was rejected everywhere my first year applying as well (and never got off the waitlist the second time either). I would say the biggest piece of advice I got was to work on your application as a whole rather than focusing on the number of volunteer hours or only your GPA. Make sure your references are super strong, so keep in touch with your profs! Also work on your letter of intent, ask lots of people to read it over for you. This year I messaged 4 friends I knew who were either in the program or graduated from the program for their advice on what to include in the letter (some of them were nice enough to send me their letters as examples!). I also had about 10 people read over my letter to make sure it was as strong as possible. Depending on what school you are hoping to get in to, bringing up your subGPA might also be a good idea. Last year I messaged Janet (from Western) to ask what I could improve in my application to make it stronger, I had a 3.6 subGPA at the time and she said it was good enough to get in so focus on other aspects of the application. But I know for UofT and McMasters that GPA is not high enough. Hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions!