I have a question for waitlists and your personal school ranking on ORPAS... lets say you get an acceptance from your #2 school, can you still wait it out to see if you'll move up on the waitlist for your #1 school? Why did they get us to rank the schools on ORPAS? Does it play into this? 

15 minutes ago, SLPapplicant22 said:

I have a question for waitlists and your personal school ranking on ORPAS... lets say you get an acceptance from your #2 school, can you still wait it out to see if you'll move up on the waitlist for your #1 school? Why did they get us to rank the schools on ORPAS? Does it play into this? 

You can still hold your waitlist position if you're waiting to hear back. On the choices/offer page you can select to remain in consideration for one or more programs. I THINK this may be if you click "provisional acceptance".. I clicked "firm acceptance" and was automatically removed from consideration at another school where I was waitlisted. And as far as I know, the rankings we use for our applications are just for statistics purposes for ORPAS. The schools don't see them or use them in their review of applications. 

P.S.: It never hurts to use SAM to verify!

Its my third time applying this year and I am currently in the CDA program at St Lawrence so I told myself this is going to be the last time I try applying so I can focus on being a CDA if I don't get in. After getting rejected from UofT and getting the waitlist email from Western last week I basically gave up on the SLP program but I am feeling more hopeful today as I got an email back from Janet letting me know I am in the 1st quadrant of the waitlist!

For anyone interested in my stats I have a 3.61 subGPA, over 400 volunteer hours supervised by an SLP (about 3 years of volunteering), and I have a lot of related knowledge from the CDA program. 

16 minutes ago, SLP-hopefully said:

Its my third time applying this year and I am currently in the CDA program at St Lawrence so I told myself this is going to be the last time I try applying so I can focus on being a CDA if I don't get in. After getting rejected from UofT and getting the waitlist email from Western last week I basically gave up on the SLP program but I am feeling more hopeful today as I got an email back from Janet letting me know I am in the 1st quadrant of the waitlist!

For anyone interested in my stats I have a 3.61 subGPA, over 400 volunteer hours supervised by an SLP (about 3 years of volunteering), and I have a lot of related knowledge from the CDA program. 

Omg 1st quadrant thats amazing im glad youre not giving up!!!

This is super interesting seeing how the admissions committee looks at your overall application as i find mine is similar stats-wise (3.64 sgpa, 5000+ hours of SLP related experience with children and adults, 800+ hrs of RA experience). Now im starting to think possibly my letter of intent or references were off?? Hoping i can save money from upgrading and focus on that instead lol

Edited by Slptillidie

6 minutes ago, AudiOntario said:

anyone know which quadrant is a good one to be in at western ?? 

I know for a fact that last year students in the second quadrant received offers. I don't know for sure if it got further than that last year but I have heard that in previous years people in the third and fourth quadrant have gotten offers. It really varies a lot and it's hard to predict but I've heard of offers occasionally going out even in August and September because someone cancelled their acceptance last-minute.

3 minutes ago, CCSLP94 said:

I know for a fact that last year students in the second quadrant received offers. I don't know for sure if it got further than that last year but I have heard that in previous years people in the third and fourth quadrant have gotten offers. It really varies a lot and it's hard to predict but I've heard of offers occasionally going out even in August and September because someone cancelled their acceptance last-minute.

Interesting, but that doesn't help someone who is trying to get closure ? 

Also I'm expecting the waitlist to be large since they received over 500 applications this year...

Just now, slp2020ab said:

Interesting, but that doesn't help someone who is trying to get closure ? 

Also I'm expecting the waitlist to be large since they received over 500 applications this year...

I am almost certain that the waitlist size stays the same regardless of the number of applicants (I mean, unless they had an exceptionally small number of applicants one year and the waitlist couldn't be filled).

I'm not really sure what answer you're looking for if the one I gave didn't help you at all. I was just trying to illustrate that, while obviously those in the first quadrant have the highest chance of receiving an offer, that certainly does not mean that someone in the second, third, or fourth quadrant does not have a chance of receiving one.

Just now, CCSLP94 said:

I am almost certain that the waitlist size stays the same regardless of the number of applicants (I mean, unless they had an exceptionally small number of applicants one year and the waitlist couldn't be filled).

I'm not really sure what answer you're looking for if the one I gave didn't help you at all. I was just trying to illustrate that, while obviously those in the first quadrant have the highest chance of receiving an offer, that certainly does not mean that someone in the second, third, or fourth quadrant does not have a chance of receiving one.

Sorry, I absolutely didn't mean anything negative with my comment, I was just saying that after reading your post I'm going to start being hopeful while I had accepted not getting in since I'm in the third quadrant :) And being hopeful for months only led to disappointment, which still does not mean that a part of me doesn't hope to still have a shot. So I am thankful for what you wrote. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I only mentioned the different waitlist size because in previous posts others mentioned waitlists of 50-100 applicants, which could explain why sometimes applicants that were in the 2nd quadrant never made it to the program?

41 minutes ago, Slptillidie said:

Omg 1st quadrant thats amazing im glad youre not giving up!!!

This is super interesting seeing how the admissions committee looks at your overall application as i find mine is similar stats-wise (3.64 sgpa, 5000+ hours of SLP related experience with children and adults, 800+ hrs of RA experience). Now im starting to think possibly my letter of intent or references were off?? Hoping i can save money from upgrading and focus on that instead lol

Thank you!! I am keeping my fingers crossed ahaaa 

I was confused as to what part of my application I could work on this time around because last year I showed an increase in subGPA and more related volunteer hours. This year I really tried to work on my letter of intent and was hoping the direct knowledge from the CDA program would help. I think maybe I was underestimating how important the references are, I think I could have worked on having stronger references who had first hand experience of how I worked and my goals/ambitions. I know it's hard with the academic references because I finished my undergrad almost 3 years ago and don't even live in the same city anymore so it is hard to keep up those relationships with your profs. I did get one of my college instructors for the CDA program (who is also an SLP) to write one of my academic letters which I knew was a gamble because some schools prefer university profs over college for references, but I felt she would give me a stronger letter as she knows me better. 

33 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

Sorry, I absolutely didn't mean anything negative with my comment, I was just saying that after reading your post I'm going to start being hopeful while I had accepted not getting in since I'm in the third quadrant :) And being hopeful for months only led to disappointment, which still does not mean that a part of me doesn't hope to still have a shot. So I am thankful for what you wrote. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I only mentioned the different waitlist size because in previous posts others mentioned waitlists of 50-100 applicants, which could explain why sometimes applicants that were in the 2nd quadrant never made it to the program?

Thanks for your response, sorry if I misunderstood your comment!

1 minute ago, Speechies22 said:

Nothing from UBC yet! 

Okay, thank you! I got it in my head that they'd be releasing SLP choices today as I think they released at least some audiology results yesterday, and now I can't stop thinking about it haha. I don't even know that I'll attend, but I'd really like to know whether I even got in ?

Just now, neuroling said:

Okay, thank you! I got it in my head that they'd be releasing SLP choices today as I think they released at least some audiology results yesterday, and now I can't stop thinking about it haha. I don't even know that I'll attend, but I'd really like to know whether I even got in ?

I know, I’ve been anxiously waiting as well! We just have to be patient I guess :) we will know soon enough 

28 minutes ago, neuroling said:

OMG same, I got myself so worked up and now I keep checking my email every 0.5 seconds  ? 

Edited by Luck26

2 minutes ago, Luck26 said:

OMG same, I got myself so worked up and now I keep checking my email every 0.5 seconds how dare they string us along like this ? ?

Oh god yeah haha, I don't think I've had my email not open for longer than like 2 mins today unless I had to be away from my computer

2 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Oh god yeah haha, I don't think I've had my email not open for longer than like 2 mins today unless I had to be away from my computer

I feel very lucky to have been waitlisted at a couple schools but I am still holding out hope that I can get an acceptance. UBC is the only school I haven't heard from so I am spending a lot of mental energy on this haha. It feels weird that AUDI would send out and not SLP I don't know if they have in the past but now I'm worried that SLP is delayed for some reason... but these are just thoughts I torture myself with