Congrats to everyone that got in! I've been following this thread for quite a while and it's so exciting to see some reoccurring names getting accepted! It's like watching your friends get in :') 

I had a question, I'm not sure if you guys would know the answers to this but I didn't have a lot of experience in terms of speech related extracurriculars when applying, however I do have a lot of research background in general. For example, I'm second author on a published entomology paper and I have worked in the pathology department as a lab assistant. Do you guys know if the admissions team would even consider those towards being a strong applicant? I have emailed them about this before and they said that they want a variety of backgrounds but yet I feel like they do want specific speech related backgrounds. What do you guys think? 

Hi everyone,

I have been watching this thread since application season began but I am a first time poster. I have been accepted into McMaster SLP for fall 2021. My undergrad was also at McMaster and I loved the school so this was kind of a no brainer for me. Can anyone speak on the job outlook for SLP's in Ontario? I would love to know more about that aspect of the field haha

6 hours ago, slp3 said:

Hey I was also having trouble deciding between McMaster and Uoft. Does anyone have advise on these programs and anything about their clinical placements as well?

I ended up choosing UofT because I love how the curriculum is set up. You immediately apply your knowledge in placements that are directly related to the courses you just took rather than doing them simultaneously. 

Also, from what I've heard, there's a genuine camaraderie within the cohort despite its size (their creative lipdubs on youtube attests to this too!). 

UofT is also a bigger school compared to some of the others so there are more opportunities for funding if you need it for research, for example.

I'm sure all programs have their ups and downs and whichever one you guys end up choosing will be great. In the end, we will all come out as wonderful, competent SLP's! :) 

1 minute ago, InspiredSpeechPath said:

Congrats! Was it like an entrance scholarship or did you need to apply for it? 

Thank you! I didn't apply for it but I received an additional letter along with my acceptance letter which explained that it was an award for academic excellence. It was a very pleasant and encouraging surprise!

Just now, speechdreams99 said:

Thank you! I didn't apply for it but I received an additional letter along with my acceptance letter which explained that it was an award for academic excellence. It was a very pleasant and encouraging surprise!

I bet it was !!! Congrats again, hope to see you on campus in September, if you choose to attend ☺️

Hi everyone,

I got rejected from everywhere I applied to (3 schools) for my first time applying and am so thankful to have had this forum to read throughout the application process. You can try to explain the competitive nature to family and friends but I have found so much comfort and validity to my stress reading through everyone's comments -- and the positivity and encouragement makes it impossible to be bitter knowing that so many people have tried 2-3 times to get in, acceptances are so well deserved.  To be honest, I have felt a little isolated in my stress and having to keep picking myself up because no one around me has gone through the same thing, so thank you to those who have shared stories and experiences. 

I wrote this yesterday to help process my rejections and instantly felt a little lighter, I hope those of you who didn't get accepted this year can find some light in it too. 

For months,

I awoke mid-sleep

My subconscious 

alight

Having dreamt

Of delight, 

acceptance

Finally, 

what I so deeply wished for

validity 

to all that I’d worked for. 

Rejected, 

Denied, 

Yet --

I am proud 

Of what grace

And self-

compassion

I have found, 

The push-pull

Of crippling 

self doubt 

And unwavering 

self belief; 

The balance

Of ambition 

And patience 

When the weight 

of uncertainty 

Felt too heavy to share, 

gratitude, 

made-up mantras 

aligned

to reset my mind. 

A testament 

To growth,

The reality -

Of 

Resiliency. 

Surrendering to defeat

Is not weak, 

if brief.

Fuelled by 

Fierce vision

And my why, 

I will rise, 

to honour

All that i’ve tried for, 

All that I have to give,

All that I can be. 

Hi everyone! First of all I wanted to say congratulations to those who have gotten accepted and send positive spirits to those who have been rejected and are thinking of ways to improve their application for next year! Regardless of where you stand, you have all worked so hard and all through a PANDEMIC. You should be extremely proud of yourselves for making it through the application process/anxiety of waiting!

I will be applying to UofT and Western for 2022 and was wondering if anyone who has been accepted to these schools could share their stats? (sGPA, SLP clinical hours, other volunteer hours, research, etc).

It would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to respond or shoot me a private message ? 

11 minutes ago, SLP--2021 said:

Hi everyone,

I got rejected from everywhere I applied to (3 schools) for my first time applying and am so thankful to have had this forum to read throughout the application process. You can try to explain the competitive nature to family and friends but I have found so much comfort and validity to my stress reading through everyone's comments -- and the positivity and encouragement makes it impossible to be bitter knowing that so many people have tried 2-3 times to get in, acceptances are so well deserved.  To be honest, I have felt a little isolated in my stress and having to keep picking myself up because no one around me has gone through the same thing, so thank you to those who have shared stories and experiences. 

I wrote this yesterday to help process my rejections and instantly felt a little lighter, I hope those of you who didn't get accepted this year can find some light in it too. 

For months,

I awoke mid-sleep

My subconscious 

alight

Having dreamt

Of delight, 

acceptance

Finally, 

what I so deeply wished for

validity 

to all that I’d worked for. 

Rejected, 

Denied, 

Yet --

I am proud 

Of what grace

And self-

compassion

I have found, 

The push-pull

Of crippling 

self doubt 

And unwavering 

self belief; 

The balance

Of ambition 

And patience 

When the weight 

of uncertainty 

Felt too heavy to share, 

gratitude, 

made-up mantras 

aligned

to reset my mind. 

A testament 

To growth,

The reality -

Of 

Resiliency. 

Surrendering to defeat

Is not weak, 

if brief.

Fuelled by 

Fierce vision

And my why, 

I will rise, 

to honour

All that i’ve tried for, 

All that I have to give,

All that I can be. 

Wow, this is such a beautifully written poem. You are very talented and your attitude is inspiring. I wish you the best of luck in your future and if you choose to reapply next year. 

9 hours ago, Speechies22 said:

For anyone who was accepted by both U of T and Western, can you please PM me? It’d be great to hear about why some of you decide to choose one school over the other? I’m very indecisive as they’re both great schools! 

I'm in the same boat! Would love to hear other people's thoughts. Please PM me! 

10 hours ago, Speechies22 said:

For anyone who was accepted by both U of T and Western, can you please PM me? It’d be great to hear about why some of you decide to choose one school over the other? I’m very indecisive as they’re both great schools! 

I'm also having a hard time deciding between the two so would love to hear other people's reasons for choosing one over the other- PM me ?

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten in and to those who haven't been admitted, I'm still so proud of you! You did your best and that's what's important. This doesn't reflect on your worth - you should absolutely feel proud of yourself, especially after the year we've had. Don't lose hope!! Sending you all light as you take your next steps

I just wanted to ask if anyone's started a group (Facebook? Discord? Slack?? Lol, anything!) for McGill SLP Class of 2023. Thank you!

Edited by SLPen

9 hours ago, lostsoul said:

Congrats to everyone that got in! I've been following this thread for quite a while and it's so exciting to see some reoccurring names getting accepted! It's like watching your friends get in :') 

I had a question, I'm not sure if you guys would know the answers to this but I didn't have a lot of experience in terms of speech related extracurriculars when applying, however I do have a lot of research background in general. For example, I'm second author on a published entomology paper and I have worked in the pathology department as a lab assistant. Do you guys know if the admissions team would even consider those towards being a strong applicant? I have emailed them about this before and they said that they want a variety of backgrounds but yet I feel like they do want specific speech related backgrounds. What do you guys think? 

Wow, that's super cool!! I also had more research experience than SLP related experience. I was told that I should try to balance that by getting more clinical volunteer experience. I think you can frame your research experience in such a way that shows you're a strong candidate given the skills you've gained from that experience! They also want to see that you're able to handle their workload, so maybe your research experience can support that you can handle multiple things at once too. I don't know if this really answered your question but I hope it helps a little! :)

13 hours ago, slp3 said:

Hey I was also having trouble deciding between McMaster and Uoft. Does anyone have advise on these programs and anything about their clinical placements as well?

According to some Mac students I have spoken to sometimes placements are a little difficult to find because their catchment area overlaps with UofT and they usually take priority. But that being said their coordinator Is supposed to be really helpful at finding placements. What’s your learning style like? UofT is supposed to be a lot more traditional lecture style and Mac is problem-based learning.  I don’t have and info in this regard for Mac but according to former students UofT’s program has a variety of supports to help job seekers in 2nd year. 

Of course though please take everything I’ve written with a grain of salt as I am a stranger on the internet :)  You should watch the video from the Ontario Slp students that was posted earlier in this forum. I found it really helpful!