58 minutes ago, Wuglette said:

For those accepted at Western, has the offer shown up in ORPAS yet?

It hasn't shown up for me either. I'm kind of stressed about it but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

23 minutes ago, Mousse said:

964418582_ScreenShot2021-04-01at10_24_35AM.png.6ddf5740a6d8d014ae670dd07837f2a3.png

Does anyone one else's letter from uOttawa say the deadline is March 31st lol? Says it in both aud & slp for me 

oh.. that's weird... eum, maybe try contacting them but it's for sure a mistake. let's just say I'm currently graduating from uOttawa and their administration sucks lol... You shouldn't worry about that for now 

2 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

Received the rejection from UofT. Now a few more weeks of agony for the waitlist at Western.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get research experience after graduation? It seems that they really value research experience but I have no idea on how to get it if you're not enrolled in a program. I'd really appreciate any help.

Congratulations again to everyone who got in and I hope that those who didn't will eventually get their chance.

Hey! I was planning to do some form of open studies and taking a research course if I didn't get in. U of A has open studies and special students, UBC has unclassified students, and a few other universities have non-degree/casual student choices. I know the most about U of A and psyco 398 is a research course you can take twice as an open studies student and you might also be able to take psyco 299, 396 or ling 375 (all research courses) as a special student or get special permission in open studies. Most of the deadlines to apply are in July. I hope this helps!!

1 hour ago, Slpwannabe97 said:

Guyssss please if ur dropping uottawa audiology tell me im on waitlist 

yes plz tell us guys haha urgh the wait is killing me !! thank you

11 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

100% agree. I think my biggest mistake was underestimating how competitive the applications are, I was so naïve that last year I applied to McMaster with a 3.3 subgpa, among other Ontario universities. I know it is not the universities' responsibility to hold your hand through the process, but I do think they are a bit at fault for saying stuff like "minimum gpa is 3.3". I feel they should have some sort of pre-screening where you are told that you do not stand a chance. It would save them work and spare us some suffering.

I reapplied this year with a 3.67 and got waitlisted at Western, but I'm not being too hopeful. I'm lucky enough that my worst grades are further back in my subgpa so I can improve it to low 3.80s by taking a couple of courses. So I'll do that and try to get some volunteer/research experience although I think that opportunities won't be easy to find. 

Similarly to you, I do have regrets as I have invested several years of my life into what I consider my calling but I am unable to get in, and one of the only reasons I do not give up is that I have invested so much in it. I'm not so sure I'd make the same choices if I could go back.

Good for you for deciding to take more courses to improve!! That will definitely help for sure :) I didn't think about taking more courses to improve since I reapplied with a 3.62 (last yr was a 3.28), which isn't terrible but it could be better and improving it could increase my chances for sure but I'm not sure how I feel about taking more courses since I mentally have moved on from undergrad. 

And I feel like I always knew that it was super competitive, which is why I've gone through phases where I lost sight of my goal and felt like giving up because I kept thinking "only overachievers can get into this program and I'm just average" (e.g. especially if my grades didn't seem good enough and getting super duper grades isn't that easy). But I am similar to you in the sense that I invested so much time and energy into it that giving all of that up completely would've also felt like a waste. But I think a helpful way to think is knowing that if I spend all my time focusing on one thing, I won't be able to explore other things that may be of interest to me. 

I think they say that the min gpa is a 3.0 to give everyone a chance, and it also means more money for them if more people pay to apply (the sad but unfortunate truth). Anyways, best of luck to you in finding volunteer and research experience, I hope that goes well for you :) 

Hi all, thought I’d let you know that I was rejected from Western. Unfortunately this means I was rejected from both schools I applied to. I’m not in too much shock considering it was a slim chance due to my low sGPA. If anyone who was accepted to Western or UofT this year can private message me their stats, that will be sooo helpful and appreciated so I can improve my application for next year!

I will be continuing my job as a direct support professional for a year, and I’ll also be looking for research opportunities with profs (although idk how likely this is considering I’m graduating this summer). I believe my sGPA will be A LOT higher in the next application cycle when I finish this semester, so I’m not sure if I’ll be taking extra courses (except another physiology credit so I can try for uoft next time as well). This is definitely not the outcome I was hoping for, and I’m not gonna lie my spirit was very broken last night, but today I stand stronger and more hopeful for the future. I hope I see some of you in the next application cycle! Please don’t lose hope (although I know it’s easier said than done) & continue working hard for what you want and what is good for your mental health! I am still extremely proud of all of us for getting through this. Congratulations to all of you that have been accepted/waitlisted so far or will be in the near future - it is well-deserved and I wish you the best on your exciting new journey! To the rest of us, I send you nothing but happiness and joy. Enjoy your long weekend everyone, and see you next year! ❤️

52 minutes ago, slp.slp.slp said:

I have absolutely 0 plans at the moment, although this was my first time applying, with finishing school during covid I cant see myself redoing classes next year to reapply without making my mental health worse and maybe burning out. I have gotten comments that if I truly want this, which I have since grade 6,  then I will reapply until I get in which is harder said than done. I think I might just go out and find some sort of internship and just work for a bit see if theres something else that interests me, let myself breath, and then after a year break get back into getting pre-reqs done again and more volunteering.

Same, I also don't see myself taking more classes since I already did that once when I deferred my graduation last year and I don't really want to do it again (I've also mentally moved on from undergrad). It truly is harder said than done. I'm glad to hear that you're thinking about taking some time to breathe and try to find other things that interest you, you definitely deserve a break and I'm sure it'll be a mental health glow up! Best of luck :) 

10 minutes ago, Quote_Actual said:

I literally just joined the gradcafe today to share my stats, so idk how to respond to people. BUT I just got my u of t acceptance in my inbox and I have heard from Dal Aud (accepted) but not Dal SLP

I haven't got the email yet!

15 minutes ago, Em98 said:

Hey! I was planning to do some form of open studies and taking a research course if I didn't get in. U of A has open studies and special students, UBC has unclassified students, and a few other universities have non-degree/casual student choices. I know the most about U of A and psyco 398 is a research course you can take twice as an open studies student and you might also be able to take psyco 299, 396 or ling 375 (all research courses) as a special student or get special permission in open studies. Most of the deadlines to apply are in July. I hope this helps!!

I've taken a couple of open studies courses at UofA, thanks for sharing, it helps a lot!

1 hour ago, speechie213 said:

Waitlisted at Western and rejected from UofT (second time applicant). I only applied to one school last year (Western) and this year I applied to UofT, Mac & Western. Feeling surprisingly relieved after getting closure and not feeling nervous awaiting the responses anymore (at least for the time being). I’m curious to ask people who were not accepted/waitlisted this year, what are your plans? I was heavily considering doing the CDA program but I’m honestly not sure if I should do that or just take a year off to work, and get more volunteer experience in the field to reapply again (though options to volunteer may be limited due to Covid). Honestly, it is getting pretty defeating and sometimes I feel like it would be easier to move on and find a different career or path. I know this isn’t a great mindset to have, but I’m just trying to keep my options open. I understand the whole “if you really want something it’ll work out eventually and you just have to keep trying” but I’m trying to find the balance between that and my own mental health (reapplying over and over again is just defeating, exhausting, and stressful). I’m sorry if you disagree, but that is just my own opinion/perspective. Anyone else on the same boat as me? Lmk :)

I'm in the same boat, second time applicant, waitlisted at Western and rejected from UofT. I was also thinking of doing CDA next year to gain some experience while I reapply. However, one thing to keep in mind, although this is just what I've heard from speaking to current SLPs is that there are not a lot of job opportunities (in Ontario at least) for CDAs. So realistically if I were to go down the CDA path and then not get in next year as well and on top of that not be able to get a job with the CDA certification, it would just be a bummer. I am thinking of doing a one year graduate in either occupational health or health management, something of that sorts, while I volunteer (if possible) with an SLP. I think this might give me an edge, something to set me apart from other applicants, since the education I get from doing a health management related program would really assist me if I were to open my own clinic down the line. 

4 minutes ago, Jelenaa said:

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting in once placed on the wait list?

Whoever has the answer to this question could become a god on this forum. This is very anecdotal but it seems like more peoples top choice was UofT vs Western so I feel like there might be more movement on that list. Assuming that most people who got in at one got in to the other. Creeping on past forums I would say it is common for people to get in off the waitlist but not everyone so without knowing your place it is impossible to know. 

Got accepted to Toronto and Western, however, I've firmly accepted UofT's offer. Has anyone created a facebook page for UofT yet? 

Edited by wug#2

Just now, SLPapplicant22 said:

This may be a dumb question, but once people from the waitlist move up into acceptances, do rejection people then move into waitlist positions? 

Unfortunately, I don't believe so. From what I gather, they usually make the waitlist much bigger than they'd ever admit, even if all the spots opened up, and so usually quite a few people won't make it in off a waitlist. That being said, your signature shows you're waitlisted at 3 schools, so I think the odds might be in your favour! Best of luck :) 

Hi all! CONGRATS to everyone on their acceptances, I'm sure all your hard work has payed off!! And for those of us who got rejections and waitlists.. PLEASE keep your head up. This was my 2nd time applying and I only have received waitlists this year. Last year I only received rejections, and it was really discouraging, but working extra hard this year proved how much I really wanted to have a career in S-LP. The fact that were in a pandemic and how so many schools wanted different things compared to previous years may have set quite a few of us back. But please don't give up. I will say this - I think that although some schools weigh volunteer or grades more.. the best thing you can do if you were rejected is BRING YOUR MARKS UP. I say this because I did all that I could this time to increase my volunteer/research work this round and it was barely considered (if at all)... And who knows what the application requirements will be for next year but high grades are always a requirement.

Also, if you're open to the U.S, try applying there next year. There are sooo many more options so you're more likely to get offers there (apply to safety net schools too).

I have been waitlisted at Western this year though so if anyone is giving up their waitlist/acceptance position there please let us know!! I think it will help gauge the chances of us on the waitlist :). Or if you can post in the link below!!