Just now, SpeechST said:

Has anyone reached out to Dalhousie about when they would be sending any more offers? Some people didn’t receive their offers on last years thread until they emailed. 

HA so I tried, I called the phone number on the communications sciences & disorders page & the guy I spoke to was really sweet but he said that he didn't have access to the information, he didn't know if i got in, how many they sent out, or when they would be done. He said he had no access to anything like that so I just left it but maybe if you want to try calling ask if they can give you the number to someone who has access? 

Just now, 2021speechie said:

HA so I tried, I called the phone number on the communications sciences & disorders page & the guy I spoke to was really sweet but he said that he didn't have access to the information, he didn't know if i got in, how many they sent out, or when they would be done. He said he had no access to anything like that so I just left it but maybe if you want to try calling ask if they can give you the number to someone who has access? 

By the posts last year, I believe it was more of a communication issue and all of the e-mails had been sent but several students hadn’t received them. Hopefully this year is smoother :D 

Just now, SpeechST said:

By the posts last year, I believe it was more of a communication issue and all of the e-mails had been sent but several students hadn’t received them. Hopefully this year is smoother :D 

OMG thats a no... How does that even happen?! only a few people have heard for speech & I'm hoping since audiology is out including waitlist hopefully more speech ones will be out within the next few days!! I'm so anxious to hear back from Dal!!! Good luck :) 

Congrats to everyone receiving acceptances!!

I only applied to Western, and I did not get in. Which is okay, I was expecting it. It feels like crap though, no matter how much you prepare or how little hope you let yourself have. I'm here for anyone who needs to vent. The rigamarole they put you through just to get an expensive education is unreal, you could end up investing so much of your time and money and then might have to potentially just move on to something less competitive... sooo scary. anxiety inducing. and and like, WHY aren't there more schools offering this program when so many people clearly want to take it and SLPs are in such high demand? What the heck is with that Canada.

Anyways, I will be heading to Lambton in the fall for a year long CDA program. This will give me a lot of hands on experience and more grades to improve my sGAP with as well (it is currently a 3.3, like I said, little hope lol) so hopefully next application season will go better ?

This leads me to a question I have: does anyone know how they pick and choose which post-secondary courses count/don't count towards sgpa, mainly Dal? I've read a lot of confusing info, like if you continued your education after your undergrad, they'll take 10 courses from your undergrad and 10 from your post-grad studies or something? I took a post-bach course at wayne state and they used all of my grades from that for my western sGPA... But I worry my CDA grades might not apply? Or just not at dal. Anywho, hoping someone can help clear that up for me. I am planning to actually save up and apply to western, dal, maybe even alberta idk. dal says they don't use certain grades, but also says they might if they're related to the field, which mine would be... ?‍♀️ 

PS I was watching the Hannibal show earlier this week and there was an episode where a character is ..maimed... and no longer has lips and they had the nerve to make his labiodental sounds completely normal, some bilabial too. Anyone else pick up on this stuff now? We clearly need more speech experts in the entertainment industry ?

I don't know if the rumors that UdeM wants to send out offers today are true, but I'm dying over here! More so because even though in Montreal it's 1pm, in my timezone it's already 7pm... I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. Look at me staying up late because "it's still 7pm in Montreal, maybe they'll send it out in 5min, just before the long weekend!" ?

Hello! 

In the Western email they said that they’ll not release waitlist positions, so does that mean they won’t even tell you which quadrant like in previous years? Has anyone tried this yet? 

Just now, SpeechieAlly said:

Hello! 

In the Western email they said that they’ll not release waitlist positions, so does that mean they won’t even tell you which quadrant like in previous years? Has anyone tried this yet? 

No I'm to scared lol 

3 minutes ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Hello! 

I've sent an email but I'm sure Janet is swamped, no response yet. The email said they won't release the exact position lol

Edited by slp2020ab

Hi,

For anyone curious, I emailed uOttawa and they told me that they cannot tell me HOW many people are on the waitlist. She only told me that 100 people applied to uOttawa this year for the SLP program. Hope this helps :) Best. 

1 hour ago, wug#2 said:

Got accepted to Toronto and Western, however, I've firmly accepted UofT's offer. Has anyone created a facebook page for UofT yet? 

not that I know of! but thats a good idea!

2 hours ago, SpeechST said:

Has anyone reached out to Dalhousie about when they would be sending any more offers? Some people didn’t receive their offers on last years thread until they emailed. 

I emailed Dal, asking when to expect a decision due to the fact that some people have received a decision and this was the response I received 

Thank you for your email. We have your application and are still in the process of selecting the successful applications. We will be in touch in the next week or two to let you know the committee's final decision.” 

Hope this info helps ! 

Edited by MaddySLP

Got waitlisted for Western and U of T. Pretty disappointed, because I thought I had a pretty solid, well-rounded application. I won't be able to go to Western even if I get in because of my family situation (married, baby on the way, and just signed a 1 year lease on a house...), so I'm not very confident that I'll be attending any SLP program this year! Trying to stay positive but I'm finding it hard to stomach reapplying next year. The cost of all this is so inaccessible - like, aside from application fees, taking more courses to raise grades, taking volunteer positions instead of working for money... 

Hi all!

I will be applying for the first time next admissions cycle! I was looking for information on the application process and stumbled upon this super helpful forum. 

Congrats to everyone who was accepted and to those who were not keep your heads high! Hopefully I'll get to chat with some of you in the 2022 Canadian SLP forum.  

I have a question for those who were accepted at Alberta; how did you highlight your experiences with EDI in your application? Also, when they say that the minimum requirement is a 3.3 GPA do they mean sGPA of cGPA?  

12 minutes ago, 2022SLPhopefully said:

Hi all!

I will be applying for the first time next admissions cycle! I was looking for information on the application process and stumbled upon this super helpful forum. 

Congrats to everyone who was accepted and to those who were not keep your heads high! Hopefully I'll get to chat with some of you in the 2022 Canadian SLP forum.  

I have a question for those who were accepted at Alberta; how did you highlight your experiences with EDI in your application? Also, when they say that the minimum requirement is a 3.3 GPA do they mean sGPA of cGPA?  

Hi! Feel free to PM me about this stuff if you'd like, and I can answer how I highlighted my experiences with EDI. The 3.3 minimum GPA requirement is a sub-GPA, if you look on their site I think it refers to it as the most recent 60 credits (or whatever credit system they use). They also didn't count Winter 2020 grades towards GPA calculations this year, so I'm not sure if they'll do that next year as well but just thought I'd mention it! They've also removed the GRE requirement (and so has Dal) for the next cycle as well. Like I said, feel free to PM me if you have questions so we don't flood the forum! 

1 hour ago, 2022SLPhopefully said:

Hi all!

Hey, if you pm me I can share about my edi stuff!! 

For those of you who applied for your second time around, did you have to go through the entire process of reaching out to professors and clinicians for references all over again? I don't think the balls in my court this year, so I'm already thinking about next year's process ahh lol. So overwhelming

Hi everyone! 

I was accepted to Western SLP, however, I also applied to multiple occupational therapy programs. The offers for OT do not get released until May 14. If I hit "firm acceptance" for Western SLP, does anyone know if my OT applications will stay open and if I can hypothetically change it later? I think I am leaning towards SLP, but would like to have the choice if the chance arises! 

Many thanks :) 

37 minutes ago, sugoaxel said:

Anyone got accepted to Audiology at Western and planning to decline the offer because better choice is avaliable? I'm currently on the waitlist lol, congrats on your admisssion!

Hey, I got accepted to Western Aud and I am going to decline. To me, there is no such thing as an objective "better choice available," it all depends what's best for the person. And on that I note, I realized that Dal Aud is a better fit for me! I will be taking the next day or two to really scrutinize both programs (since I got into both) and make sure I am not making a rash decision, but I am strongly leaning towards Dal for many reasons that are relevant for me and will likely reject in the next day or two!

2 minutes ago, speech2020 said:

I ended up getting accepted to Western, Mac, and U of T! Super happy, it's my second time applying after being waitlisted everywhere last year. I've accepted u of t!

Hey! Congratulations!!!

I was wondering what made you choose UofT out of all of your options? 

I would love to hear the reasons for everyone else's choice as well! I am still unsure what which one I am going to accept!

Thanks so much :)

7 minutes ago, speechie_123 said:

Hey! Congratulations!!!

I was wondering what made you choose UofT out of all of your options? 

I would love to hear the reasons for everyone else's choice as well! I am still unsure what which one I am going to accept!

Thanks so much :)

Thank you!! 

I've honestly just always wanted to go to u of t since I was young, I love the city and the campus is beautiful.

I've also been at western for the past 5 years and I need a change of scenery 

22 minutes ago, Quote_Actual said:

Hey, I got accepted to Western Aud and I am going to decline. To me, there is no such thing as an objective "better choice available," it all depends what's best for the person. And on that I note, I realized that Dal Aud is a better fit for me! I will be taking the next day or two to really scrutinize both programs (since I got into both) and make sure I am not making a rash decision, but I am strongly leaning towards Dal for many reasons that are relevant for me and will likely reject in the next day or two!

Congrats! I'm finishing my last semester of BSc at Dal right now, Halifax and this school is definitely amazing, I loved every second I lived here in the past 4 years.