If campus ~feel~ is something that is very important to you, keep in mind that all of the Ontario schools are very different! UofT is more sprawled within the city and not as close knit as an entire university community, at least physically. Western is a lot more of a traditional campus feel with Elborn College itself looking sort of like a high school. 

Hi I just made this account to share my stats! I got into McGill and UofT - waitlisted for McMaster and Western. I have a sub GPA of 3.84 and 250 hours of volunteering online during the pandemic. I don't have any research experience, but I had very strong reference letters. I also have experience working with kids and older adults. I hope this helps! Good luck to everyone applying next year! You all deserve this! ❤️

Edited by SleepySLP

7 hours ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

I think I saw something here about someone creating a FB group for this upcoming class at UofT for SLP but can't seem to find it. If anyone has a link pls send it my way :) 

I'm also interested in the link! Thank you! :) Also, does anyone have any insight into how to decide between UofT and Mcgill? I'm leaning towards UofT right now because the location is better for me. 

12 hours ago, lostsoul said:

Congrats to everyone that got in! I've been following this thread for quite a while and it's so exciting to see some reoccurring names getting accepted! It's like watching your friends get in :') 

I had a question, I'm not sure if you guys would know the answers to this but I didn't have a lot of experience in terms of speech related extracurriculars when applying, however I do have a lot of research background in general. For example, I'm second author on a published entomology paper and I have worked in the pathology department as a lab assistant. Do you guys know if the admissions team would even consider those towards being a strong applicant? I have emailed them about this before and they said that they want a variety of backgrounds but yet I feel like they do want specific speech related backgrounds. What do you guys think? 

Hey! They definitely consider any research experience to a strong application, doesn't necessarily have to be speech related. I had research experience in 3 psychology labs but none were even remotely related to speech. The only speech experience I had was like 14 hours of volunteering with an SLP and I worked as a behaviour interventionist for a few months. But my research experience was completely unrelated :)

1 hour ago, speechdreams99 said:

Hi! Is there any students on here who are currently at Western? Or does anyone know anyone who is? I have questions about what the program is like through COVID

Hey! I also had a similar question. I was wondering if anyone could provide insight on how COVID has affected both programs, and if they have heard anything about the upcoming year? (How much will be online verses in person etc.) Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, gradschoolpls said:

Hey, I know that most programs advise that there will be no time to have a part time job, but has any grad students been able to manage both, or know anyone that has maintained a part time job while in SLP masters program? 

Hi! Ive spoken to someone currently in the slp program at McGill and she told me that its doable however it will most likely affect your grades given that you will have less time dedicated towards studying + time for yourself to rest and reboot. 

Hi everyone :)

First off CONGRATS to everyone, for completing such a rigorous round of applications!

I am deciding between UofT, Western and Mac and would really appreciate some insight on the pros and cons of each program!! I'm also thinking about how each school has handles covid, placements etc. If you're in any of these programs or know more about them, if you could PM me that would be so helpful!!!! 

Edited by merherthespeechie

11 hours ago, SleepySLP said:

I'm also interested in the link! Thank you! :) Also, does anyone have any insight into how to decide between UofT and Mcgill? I'm leaning towards UofT right now because the location is better for me. 

How’s your French? Mcgill’s program is in English but placements may be in French!

1 hour ago, slp20210 said:

Hi! Ive spoken to someone currently in the slp program at McGill and she told me that its doable however it will most likely affect your grades given that you will have less time dedicated towards studying + time for yourself to rest and reboot. 

I heard that in some of the Ontario schools that you’re not even “allowed” to have a job. Does anyone know if there’s any truth to this?

26 minutes ago, SpeechieAlly said:

So as I’ve expected I’m way down at the bottom of westerns waitlist :( I haven’t given up hope though! Does anyone know if anyone’s ever gotten in from the 4th quadrant? 

I have the same question! Janet got back to me and let me know I’m in the 3rd quadrant. Has anyone gotten in in the 3rd quadrant in the past?

7 minutes ago, InspiredSpeechPath said:

For everyone who got the offer email from U of T, did you also get the  details for the for the open house, the zoom link etc. The one that’s specifically for the people who received an offer of admission.

Hi! No I didn’t , it said “details to follow” in the letter :) 

2 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

So as I’ve expected I’m way down at the bottom of westerns waitlist :( I haven’t given up hope though! Does anyone know if anyone’s ever gotten in from the 4th quadrant? 

I know it is all speculation but I does anyone have any thoughts about how many people are in each quadrant? I know that in the past people said that they got in from the second quadrant and maybe people get offered from 3/4th quadrants but we don't hear about it b/c posts on the forum seem to fizzle later in the summer when those offers might go out. 

Edited by Luck26
grammar