12 hours ago, NeeksSpeech said:

So I received an email from Janet saying I'm on the 4th quadrant of the waitlist. Safe to say I am feeling really down and discouraged as this is my 2nd time applying. I did everything I could in the last year considering the pandemic to boost my application (got research experience, maintained online volunteer hours working with people with Aphasia, and redid a few courses to bring my gpa up by 0.3), and it still wasn't enough :(

I am thinking about my application next year and wanted to see if anyone who got in this year (multiple time applicant or first time applicant) had any advice for anyone applying again. 

I am stuck between going back to school again full-time or just taking a few courses and working/volunteering more in S-LP related positions. I feel so lost and stuck - especially with this pandemic and how its so hard to physically balance a bunch of things.... let alone finding volunteer positions at all. Not to mention how mentally draining this whole process is combined with covid anxiety. 

Hello everyone! 

I've been reading the threads for a few years now but I just saw this post and wanted to create an account and share my experience! I applied to both McMaster and Western last year with a 3.75 GPA, 150+ hours of volunteer with SLPs, and lots of volunteer experience with CDAs, OTs and with the Brain Injury Association. I had a B in my anatomy prerequisite, but the rest were all A/A+s. I didn't get an interview with McMaster and I got waitlisted at Western (3rd quadrant).

I emailed Janet to ask how to improve my application and she said to think about upgrading my anatomy/physiology prerequisite and to "look at my application as a whole" - so my references and my letter of intent. She said I didn't need any more volunteer hours. 

My grades of my last term of 4th year bumped up my GPA but then I also took a phonetics course and another anatomy prerequisite during my year off and did well in both of them - 4.0. I also volunteered with 2 Psychology labs online at University of Waterloo (where I did my undergrad) and that allowed me to have a better reference letter as well. I worked as an Educational Assistant for my year in between as well. Lastly, I sent my letter of intent to about 10 people and asked for feedback to make it better. My GPA this year ended up being an 3.85 and I got accepted to Western and Toronto and waitlisted at McMaster. I'm not sure what made the biggest difference in getting in or if it was a little bit of everything, but just thought I'd share what I did in case that helps. You got this!!! Don't give up hope!

I accepted my offer at Western - so that will open up a spot for someone who is waitlisted at Toronto!

On 4/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, fingerscrossedSLP said:

Not sure if it's too early, but if anyone makes / has made a Facebook group for uOttawa, please post on here! Thanks :)

I made a Facebook group for uOttawa SLP & Audiology, here is the link to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/578312636898000/ 

Edited by Mousse
added link

I just got a rejection email from Dalhousie. Hopefully this means that they are working through all the applications and others will hear more good news soon :)

Hi there, This message is to U of A people in particular: I'm wondering if anyone got accepted with a degree that was not at all in the speech sciences, psychology, or linguistics area, but the pre-requisites were satisfied? 

1 hour ago, jec said:

Hi there, This message is to U of A people in particular: I'm wondering if anyone got accepted with a degree that was not at all in the speech sciences, psychology, or linguistics area, but the pre-requisites were satisfied? 

Theres actually quite a few people in my program currently with various degrees from other fields! Some of them include bachelors degrees in human kinetics/kinesiology, biological sciences (molecular biology), cognitive sciences, child and youth care, behavioural science, sociology, education, community rehab, neuroscience, and even environmental science. Hope that helps ?

Edited by JennSed

Hi everyone! 

I am new here and have been waitlisted for UBC! I am super happy that I am at least on the waitlist, so am feeling positive about that. Wondering if anyone has any intel about how big the UBC waitlist is / if there is hope of getting in from the waitlist. Any info is SO appreciated! 

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted this year!

Just accepted my offer to ubc after the 4th try and will be taking myself off of western's waistlist! When they say dont give up, please do not give up, it will pay off!!

I do believe ubc is looking at applications more holistically as my GPA for prereqs wasnt that impressive haha

what did 

15 minutes ago, wannabe_SLP said:

Hi everyone! 

I am new here and have been waitlisted for UBC! I am super happy that I am at least on the waitlist, so am feeling positive about that. Wondering if anyone has any intel about how big the UBC waitlist is / if there is hope of getting in from the waitlist. Any info is SO appreciated! 

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted this year!

What time did you get ur waitlist offer?

2 hours ago, Want2BeAnSLP said:

Still waiting to hear from Dal. Anyone else?

11 minutes ago, happyeveryday said:

Me too 

Me too, I still haven't heard anything. But since they contacted more people today, I'd imagine we should definitely be hearing soon, especially with the acceptance deadline next week for the other schools.