2 hours ago, sh. said:

Question. I have a conditional acceptance at UofA pending completion of my stats prereq; does anyone know if I have to actually do well in this course or can I just pass it? LOL

There is no grade requirement, you just have to pass. Although I do recommend you pay close attention in stats because you will be taking stats in the first semester of the program and its helpful to have retained some knowledge of it ?

8 minutes ago, JennSed said:

There is no grade requirement, you just have to pass. Although I do recommend you pay close attention in stats because you will be taking stats in the first semester of the program and its helpful to have retained some knowledge of it ?

Thank you! Haha RIP stats never ends does it... 

Just now, sh. said:

Thank you! Haha RIP stats never ends does it... 

Nope ? although if it makes you feel any better, I found this stats to be a lot easier than undergrad. In undergrad we had to learn all these formulas and stuff, and this stats class is more about looking at research papers and pulling stats from them and analyzing them/understanding what they mean! Which is also super applicable and beneficial throughout the rest of your degree when you look at research papers, and throughout your career too while you stay up-to-date on research! 

47 minutes ago, JennSed said:

Just out of curiosity (I’m assuming you go to the UofA since you’ve been talking about it ?) do you know how many people in your year made it off the waitlist?

2 minutes ago, SLPPPPwannabe said:

Just out of curiosity (I’m assuming you go to the UofA since you’ve been talking about it ?) do you know how many people in your year made it off the waitlist?

I'm not sure sorry! ?

Hi Everyone! This is my second year applying and this forum has been such a help for me!

Last year I only applied to UBC and was rejected so I was honestly really surprised to get an acceptance this year after not improving my application as much as I had hoped. I also received an email from Vicki this morning offering me a spot in the UofA program off the waitlist. 

I genuinely didn't expect to get into one school let alone two so I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. I did my undergrad at UBC and I love Vancouver so i'm definitely leaning towards accepting UBC but i'm trying not to rush my decision. I have heard that UofA has a more clinical focus while UBC may be slightly more research focused? Does anyone know how true that is? Or does anyone have any insights into these programs?

Thanks so much and good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, BCSpeech said:

Hi Everyone! This is my second year applying and this forum has been such a help for me!

Last year I only applied to UBC and was rejected so I was honestly really surprised to get an acceptance this year after not improving my application as much as I had hoped. I also received an email from Vicki this morning offering me a spot in the UofA program off the waitlist. 

I genuinely didn't expect to get into one school let alone two so I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. I did my undergrad at UBC and I love Vancouver so i'm definitely leaning towards accepting UBC but i'm trying not to rush my decision. I have heard that UofA has a more clinical focus while UBC may be slightly more research focused? Does anyone know how true that is? Or does anyone have any insights into these programs?

This is true in my opinion because U of A has an in-house clinic, and even a cadaver lab for anatomy, which isn’t the case for UBC. Also you can check out what the course sequence is for both UBC and U of A, to compare! There’s 8 courses in the first UBC semester, and 9 in the second one. While U of A has 6 in each, but two over the summer along with the placement. 

UBC is half the cost of U of A’s program, but you might like to account for cost of living which is higher in Vancouver.

4 hours ago, Wugs said:

This is true in my opinion because U of A has an in-house clinic, and even a cadaver lab for anatomy, which isn’t the case for UBC. Also you can check out what the course sequence is for both UBC and U of A, to compare! There’s 8 courses in the first UBC semester, and 9 in the second one. While U of A has 6 in each, but two over the summer along with the placement. 

UBC is half the cost of U of A’s program, but you might like to account for cost of living 

Ignore me lol

Edited by neuroling

7 hours ago, BCSpeech said:

So from what I've heard UBC's classes also tend to focus more on research, less on its applications (although obviously it's all highly relevant research), whereas UA's classes are geared more towards clinical applications of research. I also go into both and haven't decided so feel free to message if you'd like to chat more :)

4 hours ago, Speechies22 said:

Has anyone completed AUDI 403 at UBC? Can you speak to how difficult you found the course to be (esp. given that the final exam is 80%). Thanks! 

No help here, since I'm currently enrolled. But I'd also like to know more about the final if anyone has some insight, since the fact that it's worth 80% is stressing me out a bit!

9 hours ago, Wugs said:

UBC is half the cost of U of A’s program, but you might like to account for cost of living which is higher in Vancouver.

Thanks for the response! This is really helpful! :) 

4 hours ago, Speechies22 said:

Has anyone completed AUDI 403 at UBC? Can you speak to how difficult you found the course to be (esp. given that the final exam is 80%). Thanks! 

Hey! I took this course in 2020 and found it a lot easier than AUDI 402. The final was still challenging but in my opinion 402 had way too much content to fit in one class and 403 felt like a more manageable amount (probably because its only 1.5 credits)! 

1 minute ago, BCSpeech said:

Hey! I took this course in 2020 and found it a lot easier than AUDI 402. The final was still challenging but in my opinion 402 had way too much content to fit in one class and 403 felt like a more manageable amount (probably because its only 1.5 credits)! 

Hi thanks for the input! :) Do you remember what the class average was last year?

Edited by Speechies22