2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

25 minutes ago, btermite said:

Anyone else here apply to NYU as well?

Think based on past timelines they should also be coming out pretty soon.

NYU is my top choice! Probably not going to happen though. The competition is very high there and my scores etc. are just not good enough. Still, I'd welcome any rejection rather than waiting at this point.

Just now, HolyGinger said:

NYU is my top choice! Probably not going to happen though. The competition is very high there and my scores etc. are just not good enough. Still, I'd welcome any rejection rather than waiting at this point.

Actually rejections is more comfortable than waitlist to some extent.Waitlist is killing.

I really need to ask this, I keep seeing people having stuff like "1a/0w/r" on their profile and I have no idea what it is. I tried to search for it but couldn't find anything ? Can someone tell me what it is?

Just now, HolyGinger said:

I really need to ask this, I keep seeing people having stuff like "1a/0w/r" on their profile and I have no idea what it is. I tried to search for it but couldn't find anything ? Can someone tell me what it is?

A means acceptance, w waitlist and r rejection 

Just now, Lovemyboy said:

Actually rejections is more comfortable than waitlist to some extent.Waitlist is killing.

That's true. What I meant was waiting for results, as someone who is already on a waitlist I know the feeling.

Based on my offers so far, I can't help but think that fit (shown in your SoP) has been even more important than any other factor this year. I think grades and scores are becoming less important for committees and they are looking at whether your research interests directly align with one or more of their professors'. I think applicants next year should take this into consideration before blanket-applying

Edited by raabs

1 minute ago, HolyGinger said:

Its a tally of how many schools people have been accepted, waitlisted or rejected at. 

51 minutes ago, simona111 said:

Just wanted to share I got accepted to UCSB (CP) for those of you waiting for a response from them. I had my interview 3 weeks ago

Congrats!

Did they email you? or was it in the portal? I am hoping for a UCSB admit in AP, and I had my interview around the same time with Dr. Bimber.

Edited by DanTheGrad

44 minutes ago, raabs said:

Based on my offers so far, I can't help but think that fit (shown in your SoP) has been even more important than any other factor this year. I think grades and scores are becoming less important for committees and they are looking at whether your research interests directly align with one or more of their professors'. I think applicants next year should take this into consideration before blanket-applying

I think that’s interesting. I haven’t gotten any acceptances so far, but I’ve gotten rejections from two schools (OSU, UCSD) that I considered great research fits as compared to 2 others (UT and Rice) that were not as great but I still got waitlisted there. 

3 minutes ago, tedneko said:

Anyone accepted at Mcgill? Got waitlisted there. Comparative Politics app.

Claiming an acceptance for McGill. Got an email from the DGS not too long ago--IR application. And I think waitlist might be a good sign, especially since I'm sure a number of those with initial accepts might opt for a different school instead, so keep an eye out and good luck!