2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

I don't mean to contribute negativity and fatalism, but I just wanted to briefly bid farewell to the thread. Although I haven't received any decisions yet, the consistent reports of Ph.D programs receiving twice (sometimes more) the number of applicants they ordinarily do has me feeling quite down and resigned to striking out this year, especially considering that some departments have also cut their intake. My profile is good but by no means the crème de la crème or anything close to that. If I'm going to do this again, I will need to apply to many more programs than I did this time.

In the meantime, I need put myself in the proper head space to really think about alternative options for next year. If I get a surprise admit, I will be sure to pop back in. But I suspect I won't!

Best of luck to everyone! 

3 minutes ago, til1996 said:

I don't mean to contribute negativity and fatalism, but I just wanted to briefly bid farewell to the thread. Although I haven't received any decisions yet, the consistent reports of Ph.D programs receiving twice (sometimes more) the number of applicants they ordinarily do has me feeling quite down and resigned to striking out this year, especially considering that some departments have also cut their intake. My profile is good but by no means the crème de la crème or anything close to that. If I'm going to do this again, I will need to apply to many more programs than I did this time.

In the meantime, I need put myself in the proper head space to really think about alternative options for next year. If I get a surprise admit, I will be sure to pop back in. But I suspect I won't!

Don't give up friend! Everyone has a chance and you too!

6 minutes ago, til1996 said:

Yes do what you have to do to take care of yourself and wishing you the best luck!

7 minutes ago, til1996 said:

I totally feel the same way, wishing you the best for this cycle or whatever ends up happening, good luck!!!

1 hour ago, piggylan said:

Just curious does anyone hear nothing from uci ucb and uva, even after checking all portals and spam emails? Can I just assume that I am rejected by all of them? Stressful... Congrats to all the good news!!!

I am also waiting on UCI, no word either way. It looks like in the past they spread the acceptances out over a few days so I'm trying not to lose all hope yet. Congrats to those admitted, so exciting and curious to hear more of your thoughts on the program!

26 minutes ago, til1996 said:

Hey, don't worry, there's plenty of time.  COVID has messed up the schedule, and it's only February 2nd.  There are still a couple of weeks where programs typically send out admits.  

Edited by StarkDark1

Has anyone reached out to Chicago to get a timeline for this cycle? When I talked to a PoI in the Fall they said expect results "early Feb" but not sure if that means within the first week or two weeks. Thinking of reaching out to this PoI tomorrow to ask about timeline if no one else has. 

1 minute ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Has anyone reached out to Chicago to get a timeline for this cycle? When I talked to a PoI in the Fall they said expect results "early Feb" but not sure if that means within the first week or two weeks. Thinking of reaching out to this PoI tomorrow to ask about timeline if no one else has. 

Chicago said the first two weeks of March. It’s in the follow up email they sent. 

Just now, BrownSugar said:

Chicago said the first two weeks of March. It’s in the follow up email they sent. 

That's just when the official letters go out though, the email mentioned that departments can informally inform people earlier than that and that's more of what I was thinking; the professor I talked said to expect something in early Feb. I'll shoot them an email tomorrow morning and see if I can get a more concise idea for us though! 

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

That's just when the official letters go out though, the email mentioned that departments can informally inform people earlier than that and that's more of what I was thinking; the professor I talked said to expect something in early Feb. I'll shoot them an email tomorrow morning and see if I can get a more concise idea for us though! 

Ohhh I see! That sounds good. Definitely appreciate it :) On grad cafe results, it seems it can be anywhere in February and March. Naturally, we don’t know if we can trust that though haha

1 hour ago, Lovemyboy said:

Well... I saw a lot a lot waitlist claims of UVA here.

How many waitlist did they send out on earth????????? 

Haven't received anything from UVA yet. I guess they just wanna prepare for some students accepted would have other offers.

Edited by Charleslee007

11 hours ago, Lovemyboy said:

Anyone received news from UVA? Offer or rejection or waitlist?

Does UVA have interview for the applicants? I don't know anyone at the department of politics but I have heard other departments have their interview, or even some offers sent.

28 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Ohhh I see! That sounds good. Definitely appreciate it :) On grad cafe results, it seems it can be anywhere in February and March. Naturally, we don’t know if we can trust that though haha

I have no self control so I sent the email like 20 mins ago. Not expecting a reply until morning but as soon as I hear something back I'll let people know. 

45 minutes ago, retrotomato said:

Personally, I don’t know what to do right now; not elevating the level of negativeness but I’m pretty sure that I’m rejected by every program and this year is my second cycle. Getting exhausted. 

Hang in there! It is the second cycle for me too, and a lot of other people here from what I've seen. I'm sure you are exhausted but it is very early in the decisions process and I will think happy thoughts for you! 

Also taking a break from the forum for the next couple of days. After muting everything, I was actually productive today and I want to keep that going! Congratulations to all those who have received admit decisions today ~ I'll probably pop back in if I get a surprise admission email. :)