2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Just got an email from Indiana  - waitlisted there. I have two admissions from higher ranked schools so I will most likely ask them to replace my place with another candidate. 

Good luck to those who are waiting to hear from Indiana.

Hi! First post here.
First, it is nice to be sharing this process with so many passionate people for research and PolSci! It can be crushing at times. My two cents here is if you wandered about meditation, I think this is the best time to try it. There is an app named "Headspace". I think it is super nice to manage the extra anxiety (which is annoying but expected).
On a related note, I don't think it is convenient at all to reach the departments asking when they are going to release admits decisions. At best (worst, actually), you are signaling that you are struggling to manage your anxiety. At worst (best, actually), they will provide no more information than what is stated on the webpage. Not that any of this will hurt your admissions chances, at least I am not aware of that. But I fail to see the benefits, it is best just to set expectations to the final days of February. 
In the mean time, I have been playing guitar more, picking some anime, and playing chess. Also, drinking a lot of herbal tea.
Hang in there fellow applicants and may the odds be in your favor!

Edited by skullkid

3 minutes ago, skullkid said:

In the mean time, I have been playing guitar more, picking some anime, and playing chess. Also, drinking a lot of herbal tea.
Hang in there fellow applicants and may the odds be in your favor!

Well, what kind of stuff do you play!?

1 minute ago, ExileOnMainSt said:

Well, what kind of stuff do you play!?

A little bit of everything but mostly 80s rock and rock-pop. Recently, I have been playing some songs from Hans Zimmer in my classical guitar. My regulars are tracks from Queen, Coldplay, Guns, ACDC, Muse, etc. 

Do you play? What is your stuff?

14 minutes ago, skullkid said:

A little bit of everything but mostly 80s rock and rock-pop. Recently, I have been playing some songs from Hans Zimmer in my classical guitar. My regulars are tracks from Queen, Coldplay, Guns, ACDC, Muse, etc. 

Do you play? What is your stuff?

Yeah I’ve been playing for nearly a decade. I used to be a huge fan of Prog rock bands like Porcupine Tree and Opeth and still do a bit of that stuff, but these days I mainly play classic 70s rock, Beatles, the Stones, some Floyd and Dylan, that kind of stuff.

Hi everyone, I just found Grad Cafe and this forum yesterday and I am so glad to see other people that are feeling and going through the same emotions that I am.  I've applied to nine programs: University of Chicago, Cornell, George Mason, Georgetown, MIT, Princeton, Tufts, Syracuse, and Yale.  Someone mentioned the attached tweet by Georgetown Professor Dan Nexon, in the survey results, and I thought I'd share it here. 

georgetown professor.JPG

Also just saw UMass prof posted on twitter that they had 167 applicants to their PhD Poli Sci Program. They seem to have finished reading over the letters of rec according to her post. Not sure how many people they admit....but hopefully for those of us who applied, we hear back soon!

111016975_ScreenShot2021-02-03at12_36_18PM.thumb.png.f5a4d1a2e23b1c39572cd4e38c1b2095.png

5 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Also just saw UMass prof posted on twitter that they had 167 applicants to their PhD Poli Sci Program. They seem to have finished reading over the letters of rec according to her post. Not sure how many people they admit....but hopefully for those of us who applied, we hear back soon!

111016975_ScreenShot2021-02-03at12_36_18PM.thumb.png.f5a4d1a2e23b1c39572cd4e38c1b2095.png

This is good news to see! Hopefully we hear from them by the end of the week. 

1 minute ago, insightfulramblings said:

This is good news to see! Hopefully we hear from them by the end of the week. 

I hope so too. When I spoke with a faculty member there, they said they hope to inform applicants of their decisions in the beginning of Feb, mid-feb at the latest. 

16 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Do we think more Vanderbilt interviews will be going out or was that wave all of them? Has anyone in CP gotten an interview? ?

I’m almost certain there will be more. The email detailing the process (such an email should be common practice) said that interviews will be requested in the first two weeks of February 

Edited by Crossed_fingers

Not a PhD acceptance, but I got into a pretty prestigious Masters program at LSE this morning!! I just wanted to share for the sake of spreading positive vibes. I applied in early November, so the wait has been rough. But it was, oh so, worth it! Fingers crossed for other applications rolling in. We got this, y'all!

Edited by jimmyb898

4 minutes ago, jimmyb898 said:

Not a PhD acceptance, but I got into a pretty prestigious Masters program at LSE this morning!! I just wanted to share for the sake of spreading positive vibes. I applied in early November, so the wait has been rough. But it was, oh so, worth it! Fingers crossed for other applications rolling in. We got this, y'all!

Congratulations!! LSE is an absolutely amazing uni. 

Just now, btermite said:

Anyone else here apply to NYU as well?

Think based on past timelines they should also be coming out pretty soon.

Yep, but don't expection any good news from NYU. Too many applications (almost 300-400) and fewer cohort size this year.