What were you doing when you received your acceptance?

YA_RLY

I was getting back from class and setting up to write for the afternoon. Had my laptop open and was doing something (getting my notebook, checking my phone, whatever) when my email pinged. I had been expecting a reply from a professor so was thinking it was that but it was my first acceptance notification!! Completely unexpected and it was so exciting!! And it was nice that it happened in the middle of the day as opposed to very early or very late.

Finally, I can add to this!!!

I was in a meeting at work when my phone rang. I recognized the area code and politely excused myself from the meeting (it's one we have weekly, I wasn't missing much). I fast-walked to my office while answering the phone, and it was a member of the admissions committee letting  me know I got in!

After a brief conversation discussing admitted students day and when to expect my formal offer letter, I had to quietly go back to that meeting to wrap things up and pretend like this didn't just happen. But I called and texted a bunch of friends and family during my lunch break!

This happened today...

At 4:24 PM EST, apparently I got an email to check my status. At 4:34, I randomly woke up (currently in Japan for Universal Studios) and checked my email because I realized it was afternoon in the US.

I woke up my husband next to me in a shaky voice saying, “Honey, I got into Harvard...”

This had been my dream for so long and I really didn’t think I’d get in! I had only applied to one other school, so I was quite scared. I am so thankful to God. I am so happy, but it still feels so surreal!

My husband just hugged me for a long time and I had tears in my eyes. Then we went to Universal and had a great day.

I just came home from tutoring some freshers and laid down on my bed in anticipation for a lazy evening, when it occurred to me that I haven't checked the application portal for a whole day (unbelievable, I know!). Opening it, I saw that my application status changed; immediately, I got so nervous I couldn't even read the update in full, but I saw the word "approved" somewhere buried in the text. I got even more excited, called my mum to tell her about it, grabbed a beer to calm me down and teared up a little after hanging up...I'm not usually very emotional, but realizing that all the years of hard work and anxiety about my future were not in vain, that soon I was going to live in another country to attend my dream program, were a bit overwhelming at the moment. And it stills feels a bit unreal, I have to say. 

I got my first acceptance last Wednesday to Fordham University for their school counseling program. I walked into my lab shift in the morning at school and as soon as I sat down, I opened my email on my laptop, saw an admissions decision email from the school and immediately, my heart started pumping and hands getting sweaty. I was so ecstatic about my acceptance but had to react quietly without causing a disturbance since there were participants working in the lab room. I'm still waiting to hear back from the other three other schools I applied to.

I was just getting done with work for the day and happened to look down at my phone and see that I had a missed call from an unfamiliar number. I have been getting a lot of spam calls lately, and I try to remind myself of that before I get too excited. But when I unlocked my phone, I saw that the area code belonged to a familiar place and that I had a voicemail. I was walking on air for days. 

This is kinda dorky but my girlfriend and I were planning on going to First Friday so we pregamed a bit then headed out. We were tipsy in a used book store when I got the email at 8p. I made so much noise that I think I startled the shopowner's cat that was trying to sleep on the counter.

I just got accepted to my top school (where I'm currently finishing my undergrad) and got the email notification after having a really good but emotionally intense meeting with my current mentor (who will be my mentor for the next two years now too!) so this was a very very welcome notice!! I'm so excited!!!!!

Coincidentally I got my acceptances while on a call with other applicant friends, discussing how I was going to stop obsessively checking emails/portals/TGC and start working out details of a solid backup plan

How I’ve dreamed of adding to this thread! I’m at a conference in a fancy hotel, and I’m 8 hours ahead of my school’s time zone. After anxiously checking my email every minute for days, I decided to give it one last try before bed. I screamed and scared my girlfriend, and it definitely didn’t help me get to sleep!

I was at work getting coffee in the kitchen. I checked my email on my phone and saw the email with "Admission " in the title and "Congratulations!" in the previewed text.  My knees buckled a bit and everyone looked at me and I went and hid at my desk and cried a little lol.

I was cleaning off my desk and refreshed my email. Saw the email. The title was so generic that I thought "oh this is a rejection". Opened it up, read it, and still thought it was a rejection for a few seconds until I saw the last line, and then it hit me that it was an acceptance. Proceeded to scream and drop everything in my hands. Stared at the email for like half an hour lol. Idk if I'll be able to go bc I haven't heard about funding, but that school has been my dream since I was a kid.

1 hour ago, daradara said:

Congrats, Ternwild on the acceptance from Oregon! Hopefully more to come.

Thanks!  Though I don't anticipate any more.  It's like I said, if only I could get a university to interview me, I can get in on charisma, alone. >_<

I was at work, looking at tips about quitting smoking (yesterday I finally decided to kick the habit of 5yrs). While I was still checking the usual grad stuff (portals, email, GC, reddit) I've finally stopped doing so constantly because I was just getting so down about not hearing back. Then I got the best news in my life... 2 year T.A. position with full funding (great stipend) for my M.A. at a small private research school that is even closer to most of my family.

I just skimmed the words. Then read the whole thing to make sure I understood. I sat down on the floor. Got up and read it again. I paced in my office, finally having to leave and take a walk across campus (I work at my ug uni). Honestly it is a little hard to digest right now. It's a dream come true. It makes years and years of overcoming endless academic and personal challenges worth it. I am eternally grateful for all those who believed in me, even when I didn't believe in myself.

I have an interesting one.

I applied for a school and got a long interview and then was invited to a visiting day, but nothing regarding the decision was mentioned. I felt anxious because I knew some of the people who got invited had been admitted, but I got nothing. I tried to contact the department but they only gave ambiguous answers regarding my application status. So I thought the visit was a on-site interview.

Although anxious, I still departured to the airport for the visit day. My flight was supposed to take off at 6:25am, and I received an email informing me I was admitted by that school at 6:06 am, when I was on the airplane. Later I knew they were arranging it as an admitted students visit, no an interview at all...

On 3/11/2019 at 3:13 AM, Ternwild said:

Thanks!  Though I don't anticipate any more.  It's like I said, if only I could get a university to interview me, I can get in on charisma, alone. >_<

Congrats! And I’m sure you’ll have more coming up.