What were you doing when you received your acceptance?

YA_RLY

I am still so excited and I cannot believe that as someone who struggled almost all my life in school (and actually had a high school teacher tell both my parents and I at a high school teachers conference that I was going nowhere in life) to get accepted into a PhD program.

I got to sleep in that morning because I didn't have class and I didn’t work until 1, so I was sitting there making toast, putting granola in my yogurt, and just sat down to eat and drink coffee and I decided to check my email and my first email was some random person but it just has the first part and just stated “We have made a decision on your...”. Panicked because one I had no idea which school it was and then I opened it and right when when I read that I had gotten accepted I screamed and started jumping around.

I called my mom and was pacing back and forth hyperventilating and my mom thought I was DYING and I just blurted it out! I still haven’t heard back from most of my programs but I still cannot believe. I wasn’t expecting it because previous years were notified later. I still keep re reading the email and I’ve been researching the school to the very intimate details because I am super exited!

I was walking home from the mailroom, with my hands full of packages and Panera, when I heard my phone do my email notification noise. It just said "Villanova University - CLAS Application Decision." As soon as I got home I threw my stuff down on the ground, logged in and, lo and behold, there was a status update that was my decision! 

Here's my epic story on January 24:

Woke up to check gradcafe to learn the day before that Harvard's POIs have started informing accepted students of their acceptance through emails/calls but I have had no emails since yesterday so that dosen't look too good...

Went about with college (am still a senior completing my final semester) and went to order noodles for lunch... checked my email inbox while waiting for lunch, well no new mail in my inbox, but one junk mail. Being slightly annoyed by anyone who was trying to send me junk, I went in to clear that mail immediately.

Then, I saw that the *JUNK* email was sent from my Harvard POI, entitled Congratulations! and the rest is history. Turns out that the email was assigned to my junk mail for a good 36 hours without me knowing. I was frantically double-checking that mail's authenticity while I was having my noodles to make sure it was not an elaborate prank.

So.... please check your junk mail. Some of the best news come from the junk mail.

I usually check my email/application portals at least once every 30 minutes, so I decided to throw myself into a programming assignment to get my mind off it. I was completely occupied with debugging and testing, so I wasn't at all prepared for the email notification that said "University of Illinois Admissions Decision." I clicked it without even thinking and saw I was accepted! After I spent about 5 minutes absorbing the letter, I called my girlfriend to cry tell her the good news.

I had interviewed with NYU last week and was told on Friday that I would hear back soon. I had a feeling it would be today. New York is a couple hours ahead of me, so I decided this morning that I would just lay in bed until I received a decision. At 7:30 am - nothing. At 8:13 - "Admissions NYU" email comes through. I jump up and read the email, written in French, and delight over the words "la bonne nouvelle" (the good news) and quickly read the rest. I ran out of my room and told my family. Then I pulled my NYU shirt from 2009 out of my dresser and threw it on. Soo excited! 

1 hour ago, Ternwild said:

Oh man.  When we get excited we do the most cringey things haha.

I think I'm missing something here - what's cringey about wearing ten year old shirt?

23 hours ago, battermix said:

How I wish to add to this thread! ?

I wrote this into manifestation!!

I am an international applicant. I woke up at 430am as usual (yes, I know I am slightly off). I checked my email as usual. When I opened the website to check the admission decision, seeing the cute confetti following, I kinda already knew what to expect. Then, of course, I ran around my entire home waking everyone up. I did hear my mum swear. Since then, I have been grinning like crazy, scaring everyone in my periphery.

I am going to NYC baby! ?

I had stopped at a gas station to get a snack for my commute. I checked my phone before I went in because I’d been driving approximately 5 minutes and might have missed something since the last time I checked. Nothing. Left my phone in the car, which I never do, came back and the screen lit up with “Admission Decision - University of Michigan”. Opened the email and cried in the gas station parking lot, called my mom, and then tried to stay focused as I drove an hour through a blizzard!

My last two acceptances hit me right in a row.  As I was about to leave work on Monday, I saw a message pop up in my email.  I read it, silently freaked out, and ran down to call my mom from my car.  As I was on the phone with my mother, I went back to the email to read it back to her, only to find another acceptance waiting in my inbox.  I was so surprised that I swore loudly, not realizing my mom had me on speaker phone.

Oops!

• 2 weeks later...

I was busy getting ready to head to campus when I was thinking about how I had a million things ahead of me that I don't need to worry about getting into grad school right this minute because the whole preparing to graduate with my bachelors was enough, when a light bulb went off in my head that I hadn't checked the status of my application yet that day. I had my jacket, backpack, and shoes on and was heading downstairs to leave when I started logging into the wolverine access page and for some reason it wouldn't let me zoom in like it normally did (this made me think that my admissions decision was going to be there, it had to be this never happened) then a new link that said "view decision" popped up and I SCREAMED and scared my roommate who was walking downstairs behind me, everything got blurry, I saw the "Congratulations" and screamed and was freaking out and ran upstairs to tell my other roommates and started crying. It was extremely surreal, I never understood how people said when you stop thinking about it is when it would come but it did. I told my boyfriend by ordering him a "Michigan Boyfriend" T-shirt, as attending University of Michigan has been a dream of mine since we first started dating six years ago. 

As for celebrating, none has happened because I got extremely sick within a few hours of getting my acceptance and have been in bed ever since... We'll get there. 

Edited by rach19

First acceptance: The Monday after I got rejected from my top choice (which happened on Friday), I was tutoring one of my students who's VERY quiet and doesn't joke around with me (she's learning English and is the only one in her family to speak it, they recently came here from Vietnam). I got a generic email stating my application status had changed, and told me to view the website for the update. This happened about 10 minutes before our session ended, and I was trying to explain a math problem and the words fell out of my mouth because I was so anxious to see the decision.

I paused trying to explain the problem and told her "hold on, I just got an application decision from a grad school" and she said nothing (lol). I tried accessing the letter from my phone but couldn't remember the long password. Tried pulling out my laptop which has the password saved and used my phone as a hotspot, but it wouldn't connect. Finished the session without explaining the last problem, went to my car, sat there as I reset my password. Finally accessed the letter to find an acceptance, and screamed so loudly. Again, I was sitting in my car in front of my student's house, and screamed so loudly. It helps that it was also a PhD program I didn't think I was qualified for.

Second acceptance: Came while I was in a class that doesn't let you have phones out. There was an exception to the rule that one day because we were having class outside and we needed to read a line from a webpage. As I was finding my line, I got an email titled "congratulations." I couldn't really interrupt class with it since we were in a full fledged discussion, but I quietly whispered it to the few people sitting next to me who were (for just a random classmate telling them good news) very happy for me. I tried to subtly text my family/friends/partner to let them know but my professor was staring at me the whole time. I apologized to him afterwards and explained why I was on my phone. He congratulated me and said he wouldn't doc any points for participation. 

Edited by literalturtle

For one of my programs, I had seen on GradCafe that acceptances went out in the afternoon. I refreshed madly then, but when I didn't hear anything I stopped checking email for the day. I was texting my friend later that night for pity, and she asked if there was any chance that they just didn't get to mine yet. I had already replied no, and almost went back to binging Netflix when I decided to check my email just once--found my acceptance! :) I was so, so pleased. 

The other times were mainly normal--I was on my way to the bus stop and then having dinner. 

NYMC: I was at work obsessively refreshing my emails and got one unofficial acceptance letter followed by an official one 15 minutes later. That part was confusing

UVM: I was being a lazy potato on the couch while watching Grey's Anatomy and got an email to check my app portal!

I was out shopping for school supplies and desk decorations when I got my first acceptance. I think I got a few strange looks when I started jumping up and down in the middle of the store after reading the email, lol. Immediately ran outside and called my parents and mentors and we all squealed about it.