Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

You do have a point for geosciences, but there are probably more of us here than you think. ;) In general it seems to be a very slow trickle of results overall. I said this on another post too, that one school to which I applied has exactly one result posted this year, for any department.

maybe because you guys are all underground!

Haha, post hole digger! I never heard that one before.

I figured the stereotype was that all geology people were oil-industry related. Although a geology professor teaching one of my courses used to say that "everybody asked me if I knew whether there was gold on their property"

Yeah, I get that from a surprising number of people (even other scientists). Somebody's gotta do earthquakes/seismology, volcanoes, ocean sciences, glaciers, planetary science, and land morphology, though. Never mind those other underground things (minerals, aquifers, fossils...).

Sorry, I really love the variety my field offers. :)

Edited by sansao

It the application software a lot of the Universities use

Do all schools that use ApplyYourself update the status of the applications? I can't find where that info would be on the ApplyYourself application.

when i received an acceptance from a program that uses applyyourself, a new link appeared at the bottom of my application when the decision was made. not sure how it works for rejections.

when i received an acceptance from a program that uses applyyourself, a new link appeared at the bottom of my application when the decision was made. not sure how it works for rejections.
It's worked the same for rejections last year. Just a link that said a decision was made that takes you to a rejection letter.

Do all schools that use ApplyYourself update the status of the applications? I can't find where that info would be on the ApplyYourself application.

The status will change from awaiting department response or something like that to decision made and then a link will appear at the bottom that will take you to your decision letter.  Schools tend to use this program differently but thats how I got my rejection.  

My Apply Yourself status is still "submitted"... should I be worried?

Trying very hard not to email the DGS today. He and I have met and emailed, but not in the last month or so.

My Apply Yourself status is still "submitted"... should I be worried?

Trying very hard not to email the DGS today. He and I have met and emailed, but not in the last month or so.

Some of my acceptances have still not changed their status on Apply Yourself, so I wouldn't worry.

My ApplyYourself status is currently "awaiting program decision" - apparently, it will eventually change to "Decision Made."

Then I have to wait 24 hours before it is approved by the Graduate School & I can see what the decision actually is.

IT WILL BE THE WORST 24 HOURS EVER.

My ApplyYourself account currently says, "your application is under review." It used to just say, "your application is complete."

Anyone know how long it usually takes to go from "under review" to a decision? I know that depends on the school, just curious what your guys' experiences have been.

Should I be checking Apply Yourself even if no school I applied to mentioned that before? How do you register??

No. Its just an application software that some schools use. Others use ApplyWeb or other things. There is no separate thing to register for, its just where you applied. 

I still feel l like I'm loosing my mind, even though I've gotten into two schools. One of the schools I was admitted to requires a separate form to be filled out to be considered for funding, but this was not clearly stated on the webpage (the webpage has since been updated to explicitly state it). My POI emailed me today telling me that the committee was going to meet to work out GAships, and please go ahead and fill out the form. She apologized for the confusing wording, and said they were going to make it clear for next year that it needed to be filled out. The form asked why you wanted a GA position and what relevant work experience you have. I mentioned why I wanted to a position (both for financial reasons and because I want increased teaching experience as I hope to be a professor one day). I've been employed once as a TA in my current program, but never as an RA. However I had an unpaid internship with a local organization for a year and half where I helped them conduct research using historical documents and databases. But because it was unpaid and not an RAship through my school, in haste and due to the stress of the situation, it just did not occur to me to mention this experience. All of this information was clearly stated on my CV which was submitted with my application. Apparently however my mind does not always function clearly after days of little sleep coupled with the stress of the application season and of regular graduate school life. I emailed my POI back let her know about my internship. She thanked me and said she would keep in touch about funding. I can't help but feel like I've come across as an idiot and have messed up my chances for funding. It is a wonderful program, and it would be great to be able to attend it, but I can't afford an out of state, unfunded PhD program. 

Edited by sweetpearl16

I keep refreshing my waitlisted application, even though I know that I'll hear by email long before the application itself is updated. But I can't email the program repeatedly going, "Have you heard from the accepted people yet? Am I off the waitlist yet?", and I CAN repeatedly refresh my application status... 

Well, looks like another weekend is here. I thought for sure that this would be the week I would hear from my top choice, since last 2 years in a row they informed people first week of february and they told me 3 weeks ago that they would make decisions that week and they told somebody else that decisions would come out this week. I just want to know...

I realized a few days ago that none of my remaining schools are going to be notifying until March.  It was oddly a relief to me.  I don't refresh the GradCafe results nearly as often as I used to, and I only check my application websites every couple of days, "just in case"... 

Of course, March is a week from today, so I'll soon be losing my mind again.. 

I just got an email from "PH Admit" (although I found the school name in the header) with the subject line MSPH Admission Decision Notification and the text "Please see the attached PDF File." Nothing is attached. This is probably a message that wasn't even supposed to go out, but it's a bit cruel on Friday afternoon.

The waiting is killing me!  I haven't heard a thing from any school and I keep over analyzing what that means.  Everyone I know has heard and I'm just twiddling my thumbs and religiously checking my email.  How am I supposed to write my M.A. thesis when I can't finish a sentence of it without checking my email?  suggestions?

I just got an email from "PH Admit" (although I found the school name in the header) with the subject line MSPH Admission Decision Notification and the text "Please see the attached PDF File." Nothing is attached. This is probably a message that wasn't even supposed to go out, but it's a bit cruel on Friday afternoon.
That's horrible. I'd be analyzing it for the entire weekend for any type of clue.

The waiting is killing me! I haven't heard a thing from any school and I keep over analyzing what that means. Everyone I know has heard and I'm just twiddling my thumbs and religiously checking my email. How am I supposed to write my M.A. thesis when I can't finish a sentence of it without checking my email? suggestions?

This is me, 100%. Sadly I have no suggestions, it's just the way it is. I hope I will be super productive for my thesis as soon as I know where I will go next. But well, then I will have to find an apartment, etc.