Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

1 hour ago, spectastic said:

when i moved out, my apartment said i owe them $70 some dollars for renovations they were going to do.. I just ignored it, because what are they going to do? take me to court or something? but you probably shouldn't take legal advice from me.. 

cryptocurrency. it's this new type of currency that got started when bitcoin came out. apparently it's been all the rage because some of them have tripled in value in the last couple of months for some reason. some people think it's a new gold rush. some think there'll be a crash. I feel like i should know about this stuff, but then i realize it's just a stupid stressful game like tetris. 

Oh I see. Yeah they are claiming I owe them a month of rent, which I don't. 

Oh, duh. I know what that is lol, it just didn't connect in my brain! Yeah, I think people have to be careful with that stuff.

I don't even kinda live near enough to my family for them to send me the beautiful things they cook and insist on describing to me in painful detail. Case in point: my brother made an amazing vegetarian "steak" and ale pie and sent me a million pictures but didn't send me any food. How dare he.

Why am I here again? I'm having a hard time making myself write my research for my paper presentation coming up in February. I don't hate research, I'm just having a hard time writing. I don't hate teaching either, but my student evals are mediocre at best. I know I'm only half way through the program, but I feel like I suck at everything right now. So why am I here? It's frustrating. Oh, and I wrote a bit yesterday, but my computer crashed and it was not saved. Dammit.

On 1/16/2018 at 9:25 PM, TwirlingBlades said:

Oh I see. Yeah they are claiming I owe them a month of rent, which I don't. 

Oh, duh. I know what that is lol, it just didn't connect in my brain! Yeah, I think people have to be careful with that stuff.

it is risky, but then again, the traditional wisdom with investing is to take risks early, like in your 20s, because you can always make it back before you have a house, a spouse and 2 kids. on the other hand the potential reward can be pretty big

59 minutes ago, spectastic said:

it is risky, but then again, the traditional wisdom with investing is to take risks early, like in your 20s, because you can always make it back before you have a house, a spouse and 2 kids. on the other hand the potential reward can be pretty big

Update: They cleared the charges!! I had enough photo and email proof of what happened (and the real estate investment place KNEW how bad the old management was) that I successfully pleaded my case. Plus the new manager was amazingly helpful and sympathetic (since she's been cleaning up similar messes left from old management). YAY!

just found out that some asshole is responsible for ruining my experiment. didn't leave a note or anything. this is going to set me back another day. i think i know who it is. considering confronting him about it.

I drive by the airport almost every day and I have that itch again. I haven't been able to leave the country since March and it's really bugging me.  Maybe I'll take a trip as a reward if I get into grad school.

Received an email from one of my universities with the title, "Application Decision for PhD Full Time." I proceed to open it with a mix of excitement and fear only to be slapped in the face with a massive lulz. The uni wanted a second writing sample.

6 hours ago, Tigla said:

Received an email from one of my universities with the title, "Application Decision for PhD Full Time." I proceed to open it with a mix of excitement and fear only to be slapped in the face with a massive lulz. The uni wanted a second writing sample.

Well, that sucks!  I remember spending an inordinate amount of time just editing and rewriting portions of one writing sample.  Good luck!

I'm crampy and crabby today and have to go sit in a 4 hour class on phenomenological material I don't understand. I'm getting "senioritis" for my MA and just want to be done already. Plus, one of my recommenders is over a week late with his letter and the application won't let me edit my recommenders now that I've submitted it.

On 1/24/2018 at 6:14 AM, Tigla said:

Look at the bright side -

• You are not on the reject list yet
  • You are on the 'will consider - we just need more info' list

4 hours ago, SnowAngel3535 said:

I lost my minimum wage job yesterday very suddenly. and applying to grad schools with only a slim hope of getting in and being able to afford it.

I'm really sorry about losing your job. Who knows? It may open up another opportunity for you. Don't lose hope!

Afraid of replying to a few awkward-ish emails. I'm super bad at messages and I ghost people more frequently than I want to. Or maybe I'm just a jerk, but I swear sometimes my mind just shuts down when I don't know how to express or what to say at a message.

I'm fat. And none of my professional clothes that looked good on me before grad school fit anymore. Which means I have to get new clothes for interviews and all I've been able to find is ungodly expensive or the most unflattering clothes I've seen in my whole life. Additionally, my weight is likely to hurt me in interviews because there is a demonstrable bias towards fat people when interviewing for jobs.

6 hours ago, ShewantsthePhD101 said:

I'm fat. And none of my professional clothes that looked good on me before grad school fit anymore. Which means I have to get new clothes for interviews and all I've been able to find is ungodly expensive or the most unflattering clothes I've seen in my whole life. Additionally, my weight is likely to hurt me in interviews because there is a demonstrable bias towards fat people when interviewing for jobs.

I feel this. During my last job interview, I sucked myself into some spanx and wore some cheap dress from Amazon (really good plus sized business clothes! at your doorstep in 2 days with prime!) and I hated that I had to wear the spanx but I felt like it drew the focus off of my body and onto my words...

the world sucks. good luck!

I can't afford to live comfortably in L.A. county anymore (rent costs have double since I was a teenager), its too expensive thanks to the gentrification (anyone listen to the podcast There Goes the Neighborhood ?) and mayor ignoring affordable housing pleas. I'm on a fixed income (ie grad loans for masters). It's time to move out and I'm looking at AZ where I plan on applying for a PhD at ASU this year anyway.

Drank way too much coffee yesterday to get through a particularly difficult day at work and gave myself a massive headache. So, today, in order to fix my headache, I didn't drink any coffee. This obviously made my headache a million times worse. I. Can't. Win. 

I am in my final semester of my undergraduate. I am tired and everything hurts as I recently said yes to a part-time weekend job in a field I want to work after grad school. So, now I have no free days and have to restructure my sleep and study schedule as I already had full days at school due to classes and other obligations. I'm a non-traditional student and my body doesn't respond like I'm 25 anymore. Only 12 more weeks, then it will all be manageable. I am currently eating cereal for dinner.