Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I had a ton of issues trying to get dental work done. It's still not done.

The weather is FREEZING in oregon today.

I really think I'm going to watch tv online all evening and go to sleep as soon as I can. 

I looked up astrology online and the date and it says, "Winter Solstice" USA today printed, "https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2017/12/20/winter-solstice-worst-day-2017-astrologers/970249001/ Astrologist calls it Worst day of the year, 2017!

On 11/2/2017 at 3:33 AM, jjj02027 said:

May I ask what course it is?

I find it surprising that such cliques / passive aggressiveness exist at grad school, given that these are 'graduates',  i.e. adults.

Perhaps it is a younger cohort than usual. I don't think you need to feel sad or left out for not being involved or attached to cliques or immature 'private' jokes. But it's a shame that there is no-one mature enough to mitigate this passive aggressive behaviour of 'circling people out'. I hope you find someone like-minded, who is mature and serious about graduate school.

As somewhat introverted myself, I understand your concern. Obviously don't block people out, but don't resort to their immaturity and just be confident about yourself! (feel free to ignore advice from a complete stranger)

I have almost always felt on the outside, with very few acquaintances in college at all! I consider myself 40% extrovert, 60% introvert.

I am tired of worrying about student evals.  They are almost directly correlated with what grade a student makes in the class, and not my teaching. Because I teach night classes, I have some of the worst students.  Late students are always the worst, for everyone, that is just how it is. The only late night professor who doesn't have crappy evals is extremely manipulative and I wouldn't put it past him to do something to ensure his evals are high. 

Overall the verbal evals don't even have anything bad to say about my teaching, aside from a few "she goes too fast" and they don't like things about the course that I can't control.  The numerics are just low. I don't get it.

Also, I'm tired of having to teach all the fucking time. I don't hate teaching, but I hate having to teach so much more than everyone else and still have crappy evals. It's frustrating. 

I have a bit of weight to lose. I wish I could create room in my schedule to go to the gym, but I can't. It's just too hard. I always end up giving up after a few weeks.

I have such a "rigid" lifestyle already (I sleep early and for enough hours, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I regularly drink water, etc.) that I feel like I would not have any pleasure anymore if I started going to the gym on a regular basis. I walk, one hour to one hour and a half a day, every day. But I know it's not enough. But I enjoy walking. I feel like there is so much pressure to do everything perfectly in this society. Plus, with my thesis and my research, I just don't see how I can make room for going to the gym. I enjoy eating, it's one of my greatest pleasure in life and to start restricting myself on that aspect when I already do in other spheres in my life would make me feel like I'm living in jail.

45 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have a bit of weight to lose. I wish I could create room in my schedule to go to the gym, but I can't. It's just too hard. I always end up giving up after a few weeks.

I have such a "rigid" lifestyle already (I sleep early and for enough hours, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I regularly drink water, etc.) that I feel like I would not have any pleasure anymore if I started going to the gym on a regular basis. I walk, one hour to one hour and a half a day, every day. But I know it's not enough. But I enjoy walking. I feel like there is so much pressure to do everything perfectly in this society. Plus, with my thesis and my research, I just don't see how I can make room for going to the gym. I enjoy eating, it's one of my greatest pleasure in life and to start restricting myself on that aspect when I already do in other spheres in my life would make me feel like I'm living in jail.

I had a hard time keeping up with work-out because it was something I felt like I 'needed' to do - so I didn't enjoy it. I've started to view it as something that I do for 'myself'. Just those 30-60 minutes (I do pilates at home) that I turn of my brain and relax. Don't care about the weightloss but I do feel proud about how much strength I've gained ^^,  

If I skip it because I'm too busy, I don't feel bad - it's not something I should feel stressed about it.

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I hate the gym, but I do love being outside. Skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, snow-kiting, biking, walking, hiking, horseback riding, kayaking, ice fishing, playing softball and broomball and hockey. It doesn't feel like exercise because it's fun. What about team sports? If you're in Canada, I think pond-hockey season starts in January like it does here and even though I'm not the best player or skater, it's still motivating to be out there with other people.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the four professors writing my recommendation letters is stressing me out.  He sent the first batch at 5 pm on the day they were due.  And a few days later he completed the next one which was due a few days later.  My next round of deadlines is 1/8 and 1/15.  They are not submitted at the time of this writing.  I have emailed him approximately once every two weeks since  October (when I sent out requests).  He supervised my independent study so I included deadlines in almost every email.  I could theoretically replace him with another writer but he is the ONLY stats professor I had in class (for 3 semesters) and I am applying to stats programs.  I know that professors are busy and have lots of commitments but the other three professors haven’t had any problems and usually did them within 48 hours of the request.  I also hate reminding him because I feel bad since he is volunteering to do this for me.  He could probably complete the remaining 5 in a couple of hours.  I just want them done and completed on time.  And the fact that it is over break means I can’t be sure he has gotten the emails without an annoying read receipt but I am going to include one in the next email. 

I had a second interview for a job yesterday that did not go well. The interviewer was 12 minutes late (for a 30 minute phone call), called me by my last name (thinking it was my first), mentioned she hadn't even looked at my resume yet, rapidly moved through questions because of the shorter timeframe (she had a hard out at 1:30 for an interview that was supposed to start at 1:00), and ultimately gave me the impression that she had no interest in what I had to say or could contribute to the job. I was not surprised when I got the rejection email today, even though it's a job I could do quite well. 

I have a second interview for a different job on Friday that I'm hoping goes better, but I'm just ticked at how this interview went (and the waste of my time).

1) I have a "We're all mad here" tattoo on my arm so this thread is so relevant. 

On 1/5/2018 at 6:50 PM, Cheshire_Cat said:

I hate IRB. I hate IRB. I hate IRB.

2) IRB makes me want to cry. 

3) I've been checking the results of gradcafe section every six hours for updates and absolutely nothing.

4) NOBODY ANSWERS MY FRACKING EMAILS

On 1/4/2018 at 6:48 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I have one last grade that I did not get from last semester. Come on prof. 

5) One professor missed the deadline to submit grades and so now it's under NR for my transcript I have to send in three days

On 1/4/2018 at 6:48 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I have one last grade that I did not get from last semester. Come on prof. 

6) I'm trying to enjoy being single since I'm not gonna commit until I know what school/state I'm going to be in for the next three-six years. 

I made a joke on my Facebook page that Oprah Winfrey should be the next US President. Some people got overly critical of this by saying things like "she's not a savior; she's a capitalist and bla bla bla." Why so serious? It's just a way for me to say that I loved her speech yesterday that's it. Wow. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

On 1/9/2018 at 9:48 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

I made a joke on my Facebook page that Oprah Winfrey should be the next US President. Some people got overly critical of this by saying things like "she's not a savior; she's a capitalist and bla bla bla." Why so serious? It's just a way for me to say that I loved her speech yesterday that's it. Wow. 

Rumor has it she may actually be running (well everything better than this orange clown really...)

My boyfriend decided to not really look into finding  a job anymore. Rather he will become rich with his cryptocoins.....

I'm being jerked around a lot for a job I really want. They keep rescheduling the interview, keep saying they want me and then I don't hear from them for weeks, the funding keeps being reallocated...I know none of this is the fault of the hiring manager and funding is most of the problem, but it's so frustrating cause i want this job so badly...

14 hours ago, Psygeek said:

Rumor has it she may actually be running (well everything better than this orange clown really...)

My boyfriend decided to not really look into finding  a job anymore. Rather he will become rich with his cryptocoins.....

I don't know Natalie Portman's drag for the Best Directors category really had me going lol

My sponsor for research is dragging their feet and so I might not be able to resubmit it with this round of IRB review. 

On 1/3/2018 at 10:37 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

One of the four professors writing my recommendation letters is stressing me out.  He sent the first batch at 5 pm on the day they were due.  And a few days later he completed the next one which was due a few days later.  My next round of deadlines is 1/8 and 1/15.  They are not submitted at the time of this writing.  I have emailed him approximately once every two weeks since  October (when I sent out requests).  He supervised my independent study so I included deadlines in almost every email.  I could theoretically replace him with another writer but he is the ONLY stats professor I had in class (for 3 semesters) and I am applying to stats programs.  I know that professors are busy and have lots of commitments but the other three professors haven’t had any problems and usually did them within 48 hours of the request.  I also hate reminding him because I feel bad since he is volunteering to do this for me.  He could probably complete the remaining 5 in a couple of hours.  I just want them done and completed on time.  And the fact that it is over break means I can’t be sure he has gotten the emails without an annoying read receipt but I am going to include one in the next email. 

I had a very similar problem with one of my recommendation writers, who ended up not submitting letters to 2 schools I was really considering going to. What also sucks is, he's still my academic adviser. 

The apartments I lived in off campus last year claims I owe them $800+ dollars for last July, even though they kicked me out in June because I was moving into a new place mid-July and they wanted the space for summer renters. I went in three times (once with my mom) to ensure that my account was closed and I was free to go. Which I was, and my card was taken off the online payment system, which is why it's been sitting there for months. I lived there two years and they had an awful payment system and I dealt with them multiple times a year. I moved out 7 months ago and I still can't get away.

I'm about to give them an earful on Monday.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:53 PM, TwirlingBlades said:

The apartments I lived in off campus last year claims I owe them $800+ dollars for last July, even though they kicked me out in June because I was moving into a new place mid-July and they wanted the space for summer renters. I went in three times (once with my mom) to ensure that my account was closed and I was free to go. Which I was, and my card was taken off the online payment system, which is why it's been sitting there for months. I lived there two years and they had an awful payment system and I dealt with them multiple times a year. I moved out 7 months ago and I still can't get away.

I'm about to give them an earful on Monday.

just ignore them. at worse, your credit score drops a little.. unless they still have your deposit

-----------------------

this crypto stuff hurts my brain. I need to learn about money..

2 hours ago, spectastic said:

just ignore them. at worse, your credit score drops a little.. unless they still have your deposit

-----------------------

this crypto stuff hurts my brain. I need to learn about money..

Their real estate investment agency sent the letter so I can't just ignore the fact I owe almost $900.  have proof of what happened, so I'm hoping it works out. I'm in contact with a bunch of people trying to figure it out. And management completely changed over the summer, so everyone who used to be there and knows what happened isn't there anymore. 

What is crypto stuff?

41 minutes ago, TwirlingBlades said:

Their real estate investment agency sent the letter so I can't just ignore the fact I owe almost $900.  have proof of what happened, so I'm hoping it works out. I'm in contact with a bunch of people trying to figure it out. And management completely changed over the summer, so everyone who used to be there and knows what happened isn't there anymore. 

What is crypto stuff?

when i moved out, my apartment said i owe them $70 some dollars for renovations they were going to do.. I just ignored it, because what are they going to do? take me to court or something? but you probably shouldn't take legal advice from me.. 

cryptocurrency. it's this new type of currency that got started when bitcoin came out. apparently it's been all the rage because some of them have tripled in value in the last couple of months for some reason. some people think it's a new gold rush. some think there'll be a crash. I feel like i should know about this stuff, but then i realize it's just a stupid stressful game like tetris.