Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

3.9+ GPA, research experience, even went to Chinese Academy of Sciences for research. I got rejected by many programs. I was like "nah, I'm rich (I'm not!). I applied for fun." and then cried when I am still on a chin rest doing experiments.

Illinois At Urbana-

Champaign (UIUC)s

Dept. Of Geology, PhD (F16) Rejected via E-mail on 11 Feb 2016  I 11 Feb 2016
  • report spam
  • China man will hire another China man, which is VERY expected .

Obviously china men only like other china men.... duh.

Another gem from Purdue's PhD in Sociology:

"Not gonna come to this school anyway if I got accepted! Already decided to join WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better school! Who the f*** wanna live for five years in Indiana (I mean it is in the middle of corn fields)? *evil laugh*"

...... what?

48 minutes ago, ancientqueen said:

Another gem from Purdue's PhD in Sociology:

"Not gonna come to this school anyway if I got accepted! Already decided to join WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better school! Who the f*** wanna live for five years in Indiana (I mean it is in the middle of corn fields)? *evil laugh*"

...... what?

Yeah, this is so beyond rude.

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Yeah, this is so beyond rude.

Agreed. 

I happen to like my corn fields. See if I bring their harvest. People these days. Bah. *wrathful goddess stare* 

Seriously, seriously, though. I know rejection hurts, but lashing out at entire state is a bit much.

Besides, Indiana was second in corn production last year. Iowa wants this poster to know that they produced more corn last year. 

Just saying, okay? 

Edited by Demeter

16 minutes ago, Demeter said:

Agreed. 

I happen to like my corn fields. See if I bring their harvest. People these days. Bah. *wrathful goddess stare* 

Seriously, seriously, though. I know rejection hurts, but lashing out at entire state is a bit much.

Besides, Indiana was second in corn production last year. Iowa wants this poster to know that they produced more corn last year. 

Just saying, okay? 

I love everything about this post!! 

"Top scores at Ivy and Oxbridge schools. Forthcoming publication. Heavy research. Consultant to current Harvard faculty and a graduate student thesis. Confused... What do I do now? No other options. This hurts" (Harvard, History of Science PhD)

Sounds like someone got their hopes too high with their name brand background and put all their eggs in one basket.

This was an anthro acceptance at UC Santa Cruz, and while it is not a rejection, it is the most obnoxious thing ever: 

• "Update from previous. Found the official e-mail from the department head. Funding was $53,100 for 3 years, on my own after that. Won several scholarships and tuition remission. Subsequent personalized e-mail from department head stating positives about program and telling me I would be a leading force in the departmental research. Declined offer for something better. Good luck to  waitlisters." 

Seriously? i have no words.

"I'm the Leonardo Dicaprio of grad schools. Year after year never getting recognized by white old dudes for my good work." (University of Toronto, School Psychology 2015) 

It could finally be Leo's year! Hope their luck has changed too!

2 hours ago, jellyfish11 said:

This was an anthro acceptance at UC Santa Cruz, and while it is not a rejection, it is the most obnoxious thing ever: 

• "Update from previous. Found the official e-mail from the department head. Funding was $53,100 for 3 years, on my own after that. Won several scholarships and tuition remission. Subsequent personalized e-mail from department head stating positives about program and telling me I would be a leading force in the departmental research. Declined offer for something better. Good luck to  waitlisters." 

I interpreted that as $53,100 split over 3 years ($17k/yr) or $53k that also had to be used to cover tuition. There's no way somewhere would do $53k stipend a year and fund for 3 years. Having no funding for the last couple years is definitely potentially problematic.

2 hours ago, knp said:

That part took a bit of interpreting, but is fine—but quoting emails about "leading force in the department" is Bad Form.

Yeah. I took offense to the bragging followed by "declined offer for something better." Maybe that program is the ideal place for someone else. No need to put it down or brag about "better" offers on the results board!

On 1/28/2016 at 8:21 PM, DrZoidberg said:
The Imperial Academy TIE Fighter Pilot Program, Masters (F16) Rejected via Other on 28 Jan 2016  U 28 Jan 2016
  • report spam
  • My stellar academic record, conference presentations, and flight experience were apparently no match for the Academy's rigorous expectations.

I guess funding is tight after losing Starkiller Base.

Fucking casual. Starkiller Base is affiliated with the First Order not the Empire

I think the "better" part is partly a rationalization sometimes, really shoring up their confidence that they got into a good program and trying not too feel too bad about the rejection. Especially considering that people are posting right after getting nasty news, I'm not going to read too much into that common phrase. 

In that other one, I missed the "leading force" bit Yeah. What the hell does that actually mean?

18 hours ago, jellyfish11 said:

SO DOUCHEY. Especially the condescending nod to waitlisters.

UC Santa Cruz person is apparently on Reddit as well, with more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/46d3kz/awarded_crazy_stipend_amount_is_42k_for_chemical/d04jn4o

(I feel like a creep now.)

Seems like the $53k is actually $22k stipend + tuition.

Edited by pterosaur

"I love everybody, but it's surreal to see a lot of international students accepted into MFA and English Ph.D. Programs who can't even write correct grammar. Hopefully, Mr. Trump will lower student visas so Americans can get into their own schools again."

REALLY? :o

9 hours ago, PattiJeane said:

"I love everybody, but it's surreal to see a lot of international students accepted into MFA and English Ph.D. Programs who can't even write correct grammar. Hopefully, Mr. Trump will lower student visas so Americans can get into their own schools again."

REALLY? :o

What school was that? Cornell had a similar comment. As a native speaker of Spanish and EFL teacher with working experience in Top US colleges, let me tell you: I corrected more English than Spanish grammar, and I was a Spanish T.A.

I don't know whether to be mad or be scared of what awaits me.