Email Heart Attacks

engphiledu

I got a letter from my University that I received my Bachelor's from (where I also applied to grad school) and I freaked out. Turned out to be a request for money, since I'm an Alumni.  <_<

This afternoon I got a phone call from the area code of my top choice school, start shaking when I answer..."The FBI has reported a rash of break ins in your area..." Goddamn auto dialer. Also I have becomes conditioned to panic whenever my email beeps.

Torture: waiting to hear back from schools.

Excitement: any time there is a new e-mail in my inbox.

Disappointment: e-mail is not from a school I applied to.

Heart attack: e-mail IS from a school I applied to!

Confusion: e-mail neither an acceptance nor denial, but is telling me that I "should consider" applying for foundation scholarships.

More disappointment and confusion: not even close to eligible for any of these scholarships.

Just endured some intense heart palpitations. My #1 choice that is supposed to be sending out admission decisions March 1st - 14th, sent me an email titled "Admission and scholarship decision" and the snippet view on my phone is Dear candidate we are happy to inform...

I slid down the couch, clutching my chest, then scrolled down and read:

...you that we have started processing the Admission and scholarship decisions. We hope to be able to send out all the letters and emails by 14th March

What! but why? what is this? How can they do this to me? :o :o

EDIT: OH MY Goodness CarefreeWritingsontheWall  THAT WAS THE EMAIL. What are they thinking sending that out now?! And why haven't they made decisions already? Is Lord Voldemort running the admissions department? so evil

Edited by Localchampion

I have my gmail open constantly at this point... I saw the little "inbox (1)" message pop up... took a deep breath... it was an email from Kaplan Test Prep. UGH! WHY???

Yesterday, I got an email with the name of a fellowship I am applying for in the subject line. I could see a snippet of the actual email and it started with "Congratulations!" I started shaking and hastily opened the email only to find that the fellowship committee was congratulating me on the admittance to the school and that I will hear back about fellowship decisions within the next couple of weeks.  Urgh, the adrenaline surges from things like that! 

Edited by Porshyen

I keep getting recruitment emails from NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering. I am not, nor have I ever indicated interest in becoming, an engineer. LEAVE ME ALONE.

Just endured some intense heart palpitations. My #1 choice that is supposed to be sending out admission decisions March 1st - 14th, sent me an email titled "Admission and scholarship decision" and the snippet view on my phone is Dear candidate we are happy to inform...

I slid down the couch, clutching my chest, then scrolled down and read:

...you that we have started processing the Admission and scholarship decisions. We hope to be able to send out all the letters and emails by 14th March

What! but why? what is this? How can they do this to me? :o :o

EDIT: OH MY Goodness CarefreeWritingsontheWall  THAT WAS THE EMAIL. What are they thinking sending that out now?! And why haven't they made decisions already? Is Lord Voldemort running the admissions department? so evil

That's horrible!! Your poor heart :(

I got an acceptance e-mail from Maryland that turned out to be a mistake. First, they said I was actually on the wait list, and THEN they said no admissions decision had been reached. I didn't really want to go there anyway, but I could imagine how devastated I would be if Maryland was actually my top choice...

But now, I keep waiting for my official offer from UW. Yesterday, I got an e-mail saying "your preliminary offer." I was nominated for a financial award for the summer, so now I'm freaking out AGAIN hoping I can get more money. :blink: I'll be checking my e-mail every minute until I know!

I keep getting recruitment emails from NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering. I am not, nor have I ever indicated interest in becoming, an engineer. LEAVE ME ALONE.

Haha! I get emails from NYU, but it makes sense for me... didn't know they sent out those emails to everyone.

I get e-mail and letters from NYU Poly as well. I applied when they told me they'd wave my application fee. But now they keep e-mailing me about tours, etc. and those heart attacks are starting to get to me...

Oh man. Scholarships.com has been sending me this email that says "Come check out Columbia!" I applied to Columbia. But this frakking ad is for a visitation to the undergrad program and is not even remotely affiliated with the school.

I want to punch them and keep on punching until there's nothing left to punch.

Haha I get a crap ton of emails from scholarships.com.

I am so tired of random programs emailing me...one even called me from Missouri. And all because of one box I checked when I took my GRE stating that I was interested in information on additional programs related to my field of interest. Didn't anticipate so many awful emails...

I got messages from one of the universities I applied to - just to let me know that they got my documents ... and they sent them all one at a time. Needless to say, I got super excited to see my inbox full of their messages and then my heart sank.

I got an email from my top choice that was supposed to release results today, and the subject line was "Admissions Decision". I saw the little banner of the title on my phone and immediately threw my phone across the room and started shaking and crying. I was with my boyfriend who made me look at it, he was getting really excited because of course he's 100% sure I'm getting in....anyway after about 5 minutes of crying and shaking, I looked at it and it says.

RE: Admissions Decision 

"We're sorry but we have to inform you..." 

And then my heart died and shriveled up and shrunk but I kept reading. 

"....that a committee member is ill, and admissions decisions will not be released until the end of the month." 

Why would someone be so cruel to my heart. 

"Ten dollars off your new. . . delete."

"Are you looking for. . . don't care."

"StudentHealth101: How to stay fit when. . . shut up."

Inbox (1)

*sweats nervously*

"Act today and enjoy your coupon for 15% off!"

*punches hole through computer screen*

I got that coupon too! But I used it. I figured even if I don't get into grad school, I can damn well look good in my distress.

I was across the country at a recruitment weekend when my roommate texted me to say that I had just received a large, thick envelope from UCSF. Keep in mind that UCSF had already rejected me. I told her to open it and had a moment of wild dreaming that UCSF regretted their original decision and was begging me to come back. Then my roommate texted me back to say that she had read it wrong and it was just some information about the University of San Francisco. Oof.

I'm starting to not even expect good news through the postal service anymore.

At least most rejections lay it out there right at the beginning:

"Unfortunately. . . "

"We regret to inform you. . . "

I just got a rejection though that started out, "On behalf of the Graduate Studies Committee at the University of Kentucky, I wish to thank you for your application to our 2014 MA class. . ." followed by "I regret. . . "

*sigh*

Worst heart attack ever. Just received a call from an unknown caller. I didn't answer it in time but then I saw that they left me a message! I took a breath and listened to the call. It was the doctor telling me that my X-rays came in clear and I in fact did not fracture my carpals snowboarding. Sighhhhh is it bad that I was so disappointed it wasn't a grad school that I didn't care??

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an email detailing my financial aid award for one program. I know this program is currently sending out admission decisions, but I haven't received a decision yet. What does this mean? This is my second year applying to graduate school and I don't remember getting a financial aid award last year when I was wait listed at this same program.

What say you? Legitimate email heart attack or does everyone get a fin-aid award email?