Would you choose lakehead mph epi or mph waterloo? I like epi but not 100% sure on it. I like waterloo better than lakehead for sure but because mph lakehead has epi specialization and waterloo is general, I am so confused between the two programs. Any insight?

Thank you

Edited by AniSabi

15 minutes ago, shae96 said:

Congrats on your acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, were you on waitlist before being accepted to Western? 

Thank you! I don't mind at all, I don't believe I was, I never got communication about being on a waitlist and my status was always "released to program" before that. I have until June 1 to accept. Hope that's helpful!

24 minutes ago, AniSabi said:

Would you choose lakehead mph epi or mph waterloo? I like epi but not 100% sure on it. I like waterloo better than lakehead for sure but because mph lakehead has epi specialization and waterloo is general, I am so confused between the two programs. Any insight?

Thank you

Pros and cons spreadsheet! :-) That's my nerd answer to everything.

But seriously, are you thinking of getting into a job that requires an Epi specialization? It seems like you can take equal numbers of Epi courses (actually maybe even more Epi courses) at Waterloo than at Lakehead, you just won't come out with Epi in the title of your degree. You can still mention all the Epi courses you've taken if you apply for a job that needs them.

I guess also, there is a requirement to be on campus a couple of times at Waterloo but not at Lakehead... and a Capstone project at Waterloo but not at Lakehead... so in the end, I think it would come down to which program gives you the most things you want in a degree and which will be more useful for you in the future.

[Disclaimer: I've accepted a place at Lakehead]

32 minutes ago, AniSabi said:

Congratulations. Are you going to accept waterloo?

Thank you! I am still waiting on Saskatchewan and Alberta (was top choice but from the looks of this thread I feel like I will be getting a rejection from Alberta) to make my final decision. But at this point I think I will end up accepting Waterloo as the program seems to be a good fit for me :)

Edited by ChelMPH

2 hours ago, nkachouh said:

Hello everyone! Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Got accepted into Western yesterday! Still waiting on hearing back from Saskatchewan, was rejected from all other programs I applied to (UBC, SFU, UVic, UofT, Waterloo). I know it's been mentioned lots, but anyone hear anything from Saskatchewan?? Seems odd that it's been radio-silence with them.

Saskatchewan is sending offers by May 18th.

2 hours ago, nkachouh said:

Hello everyone! Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Got accepted into Western yesterday! Still waiting on hearing back from Saskatchewan, was rejected from all other programs I applied to (UBC, SFU, UVic, UofT, Waterloo). I know it's been mentioned lots, but anyone hear anything from Saskatchewan?? Seems odd that it's been radio-silence with them.

Congrats on your acceptance! Still waiting on Saskatchewan also they sent me a generic email saying all decisions will be made by May 18th I believe...but it's very odd there hasn't been any movement or communication on the application...

2 hours ago, Shd90 said:

I contacted Queens today. They told me  that they have sent out first and second round of acceptances and my application is on hold/waitlisted. Also that they are not able to proceed with any further offers at this time and have not ranked the applicants in waitlist. 

I have heard only good things about MPH epi at Uoft. It is a very competitive program to get into so congratulations on that. :)

PS: If you don't mind can you share your stats and gre score? 

So should we assume if we haven't heard back from Queens its cause we're waitlisted?

38 minutes ago, MphPg said:

Hello

Can someone please let me know if Lakehead University has sent out offers for Mph Epi?

Thanx in advance 

I believe (but I may be wrong) that Lakehead doesn't send offers by streams, but makes offers to candidates regardless of the stream they have applied for. 

So I guess the short answer is that *some* Lakehead offers have gone out but they seem to be across multiple streams. And I assume that as people reject the offers, more will go out. I had until April 3rd to accept and I think I saw someone else who had until this week to accept, so it seems to be a bit of a rolling process.

EDIT: I can't find where I read this, so I might be crazy.

Edited by carters09

28 minutes ago, sheisgreat said:

Saskatchewan is sending offers by May 18th.

Ya I got that generic email saying all decisions will be made by May 18th, but still very bizarre that there's been no movement or communication at all otherwise. Like that seems pretty late especially if others are getting offers and have to accept within 10-14 days etc.

28 minutes ago, ChelMPH said:

Congrats on your acceptance! Still waiting on Saskatchewan also they sent me a generic email saying all decisions will be made by May 18th I believe...but it's very odd there hasn't been any movement or communication on the application...

Thank you! Ya totally weird that there's no movement or communication, especially with other programs going out as early as March.

1 hour ago, carters09 said:

Pros and cons spreadsheet! :-) That's my nerd answer to everything.

But seriously, are you thinking of getting into a job that requires an Epi specialization? It seems like you can take equal numbers of Epi courses (actually maybe even more Epi courses) at Waterloo than at Lakehead, you just won't come out with Epi in the title of your degree. You can still mention all the Epi courses you've taken if you apply for a job that needs them.

I guess also, there is a requirement to be on campus a couple of times at Waterloo but not at Lakehead... and a Capstone project at Waterloo but not at Lakehead... so in the end, I think it would come down to which program gives you the most things you want in a degree and which will be more useful for you in the future.

[Disclaimer: I've accepted a place at Lakehead]

I don't live that far from waterloo so I guess on campus component is not a big inconvenience for me. I am leaning towards waterloo because like you said, I can always take epi electives. Thank you for responding ?

Edited by AniSabi

On 2018-04-09 at 3:38 PM, neonlily said:

I'm in the MPH and you'd have a lot of the same profs. So far, everyone has been very engaging and have a lot of connections within public health in Canada which has been great. Courses have been interesting and generally well planned with lots of supports.

The building itself is undergoing renos but they have a brand new wing with a starbucks and nice new lecture areas. 

What are the dates for mph on capstone project? Is it in April?

Thank you

Edited by AniSabi

2 hours ago, AniSabi said:

Thank you

Is your concern more so about the epi part or that Waterloo's MPH program is general (but if I recall, Waterloo had an option to focus on sociobehavioural sciences)? I did my undergraduate degree at the School of Public Health and Health Systems at Waterloo, I only have great things to say about the programs in that department and the professors. I've also run into a couple MPH Waterloo grads who worked as an epidemiologist when I worked for PHAC as a co-op student. So it's not like your epi career is completely out of the picture for going there! Certainly try to take stats/epi courses as electives when you can. I recall the UW MPH program had electives for environmental epi and also surveillance (all online), so those would be options if they still offer those. 

Edited by And1

8 minutes ago, And1 said:

Is your concern more so about the epi part or that Waterloo's MPH program is general (but if I recall, Waterloo had an option to focus on sociobehavioural sciences)? I did my undergraduate degree at the School of Public Health and Health Systems at Waterloo, I only have great things to say about the programs in that department and the professors. I've also run into a couple MPH Waterloo grads who worked as an epidemiologist when I worked for PHAC as a co-op student. So it's not like your epi career is completely out of the picture for going there! Certainly try to take stats/epi courses as electives when you can. I recall the UW MPH program had electives for environmental epi and also surveillance (all online), so those would be options if they still offer those. 

Thank you for your response. 

1 hour ago, carters09 said:

I believe (but I may be wrong) that Lakehead doesn't send offers by streams, but makes offers to candidates regardless of the stream they have applied for. 

So I guess the short answer is that *some* Lakehead offers have gone out but they seem to be across multiple streams. And I assume that as people reject the offers, more will go out. I had until April 3rd to accept and I think I saw someone else who had until this week to accept, so it seems to be a bit of a rolling process.

EDIT: I can't find where I read this, so I might be crazy.

Thank you for the response?

It has been a while since i have been waiting for the admission decision but with no change in my application status.

Expecting a rejection now

3 hours ago, ChelMPH said:

They never received the second reference letter from one of my profs, so I received an email from them last week saying that they won't be able to admit me as my application is considered incomplete. By the sounds of it from that email, I'm guessing they were in the preliminary stages of reviewing applications. 

11 hours ago, Shd90 said:

I contacted Queens today. They told me  that they have sent out first and second round of acceptances and my application is on hold/waitlisted. Also that they are not able to proceed with any further offers at this time and have not ranked the applicants in waitlist. 

I have heard only good things about MPH epi at Uoft. It is a very competitive program to get into so congratulations on that. :)

PS: If you don't mind can you share your stats and gre score? 

Thanks! 

I got a bsc in Biology and Psychology from Mcmaster. 

My grades aren’t that great, probably around 85% in the last two years (I got a 70 in intro python :P) 

Gre wise I had 90th percentile in English and 80th percentile in math.

Maybe they liked my thesis? Who knows, I was surprised too. 

Hope this helps! Good luck! 

11 hours ago, AniSabi said:

What are the dates for mph on capstone project? Is it in April?

Thank you

I'm not exactly sure but I believe it's in May or June. The initial 2 week foundations course is in August.

11 hours ago, rdh.mph said:

They never received the second reference letter from one of my profs, so I received an email from them last week saying that they won't be able to admit me as my application is considered incomplete. By the sounds of it from that email, I'm guessing they were in the preliminary stages of reviewing applications. 

You are absolutely right.