24 minutes ago, goalsforgradschool said:

Hi everyone, I would love some insight here. 

My top choice for grad school was U of T Health Promotion. I've been looking forward to attending this program since my second year of uni, and not getting in is really crushing. However, I have received an acceptance to Western, and though it wasn't my top choice, it's still a graduate school that will help me get my foot in the door of working for NGOs and other health agencies. A friend of mind haphazardly said that some students don't go to grad school when they don't get into their top program and will apply again. I was a little taken aback that people did that, but now I'm in that boat. I wanted one particular school, I didn't get it, and now I am rethinking this entire process. 

This is unreasonable. I should go to a good grad school, and Western is a great university! Please tell me how unreasonable my thought process is. 

I think you should definitely go to Western even if it wasn't your choice. I understand it's heartbreaking if you don't get in your first choice but it's unreasonable to waste a year and go through the entire process again. Western is a great University and like you said it will get your foot in your dream job. Good luck.

Edited by AniSabi

2 hours ago, HealthMasters said:

Anyone hear much about Brock’s program? I know it’s fairly new. Any thoughts on the MPH programs of Brock vs Guelph vs McMaster? 

Thanks.

I am wondering the same thing, I have been accepted to Brock MPH but don't know much about their program at all. Any insight would be great! 

15 minutes ago, AniSabi said:

I think you should definitely go to Western even if it wasn't your choice. I understand it's heartbreaking if you don't get in your first choice but it's unreasonable to waste a year and go through the entire process again. Western is a great University and like you said it will get your foot in your dream job. Good luck.

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here. I think you have to look at your reasons for going to grad school. Is it solely to get into your desired job asap? If so, accepting Western seems like a sensible decision. Are finances a consideration? If so, maybe going through the most expensive program isn't the best idea. Are there particular courses at UofT that Western doesn't offer, or something about that program in particular that made it your first choice? If so, would you feel like you missed out on something/that you "settled" if you went to Western?

I took a year off between undergrad and grad school and got a job. It meant I had more money, more maturity and more experience when I did apply to grad studies. A year here and there is no big deal, especially if you do something useful with it.

In the end, I'm a firm believer in going with your gut. Doesn't matter what other people think, you are the one that has to live with the decision :-) 

If you're a nerd like me, you can also make a spreadsheet of pros and cons... Lol.

Edited by carters09

11 minutes ago, SMPH said:

I am wondering the same thing, I have been accepted to Brock MPH but don't know much about their program at all. Any insight would be great! 

This is only the second year it has run, I go to Brock currently in public health but honestly have not heard much about it 

22 minutes ago, cmh_MPH said:

This is only the second year it has run, I go to Brock currently in public health but honestly have not heard much about it 

Your in their bachelor of public health or master public health? 

6 minutes ago, SMPH said:

Your in their bachelor of public health or master public health? 

bachelor of public health, which I really enjoy, but not many of us who go to Brock know anything about the masters, this year is the first year its ever run. 

41 minutes ago, openarms said:

Waitlisted at SFU for the Population Health Stream! No email but saw it in the application status tab on the portal. I was expecting a rejection after not hearing for so long, so I'm happy! 

Congratulations!! I'm glad you heard back! Though I'm still still in the waiting game so I'm feeling less than optimistic...

42 minutes ago, carters09 said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here. I think you have to look at your reasons for going to grad school. Is it solely to get into your desired job asap? If so, accepting Western seems like a sensible decision. Are finances a consideration? If so, maybe going through the most expensive program isn't the best idea. Are there particular courses at UofT that Western doesn't offer, or something about that program in particular that made it your first choice? If so, would you feel like you missed out on something/that you "settled" if you went to Western?

I took a year off between undergrad and grad school and got a job. It meant I had more money, more maturity and more experience when I did apply to grad studies. A year here and there is no big deal, especially if you do something useful with it.

In the end, I'm a firm believer in going with your gut. Doesn't matter what other people think, you are the one that has to live with the decision :-) 

If you're a nerd like me, you can also make a spreadsheet of pros and cons... Lol.

42 minutes ago, carters09 said:

Lol on making the spreadsheet of pros and cons. I do the same.

Cost of Western is a valid point. You know your situation best. If I were you I would have gone with Western because for me getting into my dream job faster is more important than getting into my dream school. You also have to think why you applied to Western if  U of T health promotion was your first and only choice. Most probably Western was your alternative if incase you don't get into U of T, then why the confusion now.

But if down the road you think you will feel missed out by settling for Western than applying again next year might be worth it.

Edited by AniSabi

6 minutes ago, AniSabi said:

Lol on making the spreadsheet of pros and cons. I do the same.

Cost of Western is a valid point. You know your situation best. If I were you I would have gone with Western because for me getting into my dream job faster is more important than getting into my dream school.  But if you think down the road you would feel missed out by settling for Western than applying again next year might be worth it.

38 minutes ago, carters09 said:

Thank you, you two! I have created a spreadsheet, and I do think the Western program provides an equal opportunity. I took a year off to work and gain experience and it's fuelled me even more to get into the type of job that I want to be working. The more I look at Western's program, the more I realize that the two programs are on equal footing in regards to what you learn. U of T's program prepares you for the same job market that Western does. 

Thank you for not judging and giving me your input, I very much respect that :) 

10 minutes ago, fieldepi said:

I didn't receive anything either. :( 

1 hour ago, MDC15 said:

Congratulations!! I'm glad you heard back! Though I'm still still in the waiting game so I'm feeling less than optimistic...

Thank you! And good luck guys! Hope good news comes both of your ways very soon. 

Guelph finally sent their official offer and updated portal. I was sent an email to my main account as well as Guelph’s that a decision was made and to check webadvisor. I’ve got till April 27 to decide.

i won’t be accepting the offer so hopefully someone else who is waiting will be hearing good news soon ☺️

Best of luck everyone!!

12 hours ago, EaPC said:

I just received an offer from SFU (global health) via email and have 14 days to respond.

Hi, Congratulations for acceptance!

If you don't mind can you please tell your profile?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Lalamelon said:

Guelph finally sent their official offer and updated portal. I was sent an email to my main account as well as Guelph’s that a decision was made and to check webadvisor. I’ve got till April 27 to decide.

i won’t be accepting the offer so hopefully someone else who is waiting will be hearing good news soon ☺️

Best of luck everyone!!

Congratulations...can u pls share Ur stats.

9 hours ago, goalsforgradschool said:

Thank you, you two! I have created a spreadsheet, and I do think the Western program provides an equal opportunity. I took a year off to work and gain experience and it's fuelled me even more to get into the type of job that I want to be working. The more I look at Western's program, the more I realize that the two programs are on equal footing in regards to what you learn. U of T's program prepares you for the same job market that Western does. 

Thank you for not judging and giving me your input, I very much respect that :) 

What you're going through is very common! I also agree that what matters most is whether the program's focus/courses are aligned with what you are interested in, and the connections to different organizations that the school has that you are interested in working for. Multiple schools could fit that description for many students. Think also long term. In 10 years, would you really say that the school you went to made a big difference in getting the job that you would be working at the time? Probably not. The pros and cons list really helps, I did that. 

As someone else pointed out, the most important thing is that it is your decision to make, so don't let others (friends, family, profs, us here at the forum) try to convince you otherwise if your heart is telling you something else (not saying that's actually what's happening here). You seem pretty passionate about public health, I am sure whatever decision you make it will work out for you, and in a few years you will look back at this situation and laugh. Best of luck! 

On 4/4/2018 at 9:58 PM, dealornodeal said:

Hi all! Long-time lurker.

I was accepted to UBC MPH, U of T MPH (Epidemiology), as well as U of T's Institute of Medical Science (IMS) which is a thesis-based masters. I'm having a tough time coming to a decision, though I am leaning towards U of T's MPH Epi. If anyone has any insights to share into any of these programs (namely the MPH programs, I don't expect to anyone to have much info regarding U of T's IMS) I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Congrats to all those that have received acceptances, and good luck to all those still waiting! Hold tight :)

Anyone with questions about the MPH epi program at U of T can feel free to message me :) Or anyone having a dilemma about their grad school decisions, really. Would be happy to give my two cents. 

I was accepted to Guelph’s MAN program, UofT’s MPH in nutrition and dietetics, and a stand-alone dietetic internship.  Ultimately I chose UofT’s MPH.  Anyone with questions about UofT’s program, please feel free to message me.  I’ve worked in community nutrition and primary care since graduating from UofT, and it was the best choice for me at the time.  I’m happy to answer questions about the MPH at UofT, or about Guelph (I have two degrees from Guelph).

On 07/04/2018 at 4:36 AM, GAGGU1 said:

Hi, Congratulations for acceptance!

If you don't mind can you please tell your profile?

Thanks!

Thank you!

As for my profile..
Domestic applicant 
Education: B.Soc.Sc.
Work experience: RA at a public health research organization throughout my past 3 years of undergrad and also did qualitative fieldwork in a developing country. 
Volunteer experience: various - mostly with social justice organizations
Publications: 1
Grades: Not great...Probably around 85% in my last 2 years. After seeing most people on here with an average in the high 90s I didn't think I had a chance but I guess my experience really helped. 

Good luck to you!

13 minutes ago, EaPC said:

Thank you!

As for my profile..
Domestic applicant 
Work experience: RA at a public health research organization throughout my past 3 years of undergrad and also did qualitative fieldwork in a developing country. 
Grades: Not great...Probably around 85% in my last 2 years. After seeing most people on here with an average in the high 90s I didn't think I had a chance but I guess my experience really helped. 

Good luck to you!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations you have an amazing profile.  Were you emailed or called or updated portal?

40 minutes ago, EaPC said:

Thank you!

As for my profile..
Domestic applicant 

Good luck to you!

Wow! After reading your profile stats. I definitely will not be surprised if I dont get in at all. I am going to try again next year hopefully I have a chance next year.