3 hours ago, carters09 said:

I live in Victoria and work fairly closely with some UVic public health/HSD people, and I deliberately applied elsewhere! I'm doing the MPH online too (not thesis-based though).

My reasoning was that by keeping up my UVic connections at the same time as doing my MPH courses at a different university, I might be able to get a broader range of experiences and perspectives.

However, I already work for the health authority so haven't had to worry about program reputation or CPHA ranking because the MPH for me will not be the determining factor in getting a job - so I can't comment from that angle.

Hey thank you! I appreciate your feedback and that definitely makes sense. 

20 hours ago, Mph17 said:

Hi all, long time lurker (since Jan 2017) and recent poster. I applied to a total of 6 schools and have heard back with acceptances to 2 and rejections to 2. I've made a pros and cons list for each of the schools I was accepted to (UVic and USask) and there are a ton of similarities and overlaps that I'm having a tough time picking one over the other. I was wondering if there was anyone who would be able to give me their two cents on either of these schools - either if you went there yourself, know someone that did, or have heard anything about the Public Health programs at either of these schools. 

I applied for the online option for each school, and am hoping to pursue a thesis option as well. The timeline for each, the cost, etc seem similar ish so I'm really lost. I live in Victoria, and did my undergrad at UVic, so that might be a benefit. I was also specifically wondering if the ranking of these schools (for Public Health) differed? Obviously they are not UT or Western, but between UVic and USask, do you guys know or think one Public Health program is more reputable than the other or has a better ranking under the Canadian Public Health Association? 

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated, thank you in advance if you can offer any help :) 

This thread has been really helpul and encouraging for me both times I applied, so I wish everyone all the best as they're prepping for this next phase! 

Hey, that's a tough choice because you're right they are both a bit similar. I would take a long look at the courses they offer. I imagine U of S would be slightly more expensive just because you'd have to travel there for 2 weeks in Aug. If all is equal from your perspective with courses and such, I would strongly consider the future connection aspect. Will making professional connections in Sascatchewan really gain you a significant advantage if you are planning on living in Victoria? If it were me, I would work on making new connections in Victoria and building on existing ones because those are the ones that may be more likely to help you in your future career. If you are considering reputation, I think U of S is fine now but they did have some issues/complaints with the MPH program in the past. 

58 minutes ago, MPH1820 said:

Hey, that's a tough choice because you're right they are both a bit similar. I would take a long look at the courses they offer. I imagine U of S would be slightly more expensive just because you'd have to travel there for 2 weeks in Aug. If all is equal from your perspective with courses and such, I would strongly consider the future connection aspect. Will making professional connections in Sascatchewan really gain you a significant advantage if you are planning on living in Victoria? If it were me, I would work on making new connections in Victoria and building on existing ones because those are the ones that may be more likely to help you in your future career. If you are considering reputation, I think U of S is fine now but they did have some issues/complaints with the MPH program in the past. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out, and you've made some really good points that I should consider. I really appreciate it :)

What were the issues /complaints with the MPH program at Sask in the past? 

1 hour ago, Mph17 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out, and you've made some really good points that I should consider. I really appreciate it :)

What were the issues /complaints with the MPH program at Sask in the past? 

I really don't know much about it. I just read an article that was published in a Saskatoon paper. It listed prior complaints that had been made against the School of Public Health. This was back in 2015 though. You should be able to google the article, that's how I found it when I was researching schools. 

Edited by MPH1820

On 4/18/2018 at 6:50 PM, Inkblaze said:

I’ve been accepted to SFU Population Health and to McGill MScPH. I’ve currently accepted both offers but if I’m accepted off the UBC MPH waitlist I will likely choose to accept it and then withdraw from my other offers. If I don’t get into UBC I guess I’ll decide between moving out east, or attending SFU. Personally I think the program at SFU looks amazing but having done my undergrad there I would prefer a change of scenery.

Any word on UBC? I got my acceptance two weeks ago. I didnt actually even apply at SFU  or McGill but when I saw your post I checked out their programs. They both look amazing. McGill has some interesting opportunities and sometimes I think UBC is over-hyped (even if I did accept my offer :P)

On 4/25/2018 at 8:35 AM, goalsforgradschool said:

I accepted UWO for a few reasons. I applied to 6 schools (U of T, McMaster, UWO, Queens, Waterloo, McGill) and so far have been waitlisted for Waterloo and Queens and refused at the rest. I expected this to happen since it's my first time applying to grad school, and in all honesty I don't want to apply again next year in hopes of getting into the rest of the schools. I got into a program that is good and I should attend. 

It's a program like everyone else. Only difference is that it's a year. Save for McMaster and Waterloo (MScPH), the rest are also non thesis, course based that also provide a practicum placement.

The one concern I had was the ability to publish research. I hoped to be able to join a research team as an RA within those two years and the condensed nature seemed daunting. I reached out to a current student in the program and she helped to answer any questions that I might have, and that was great! 

After creating a pros and cons list, it was pretty clear that if you have a goal and a means to achieve it, then go for it! I am thinking that after the completion of the program, I have an extra year to work and to plan and see if I would want to pursue further schooling. 

I know the cost is very large ($32000), but once I broke down the cost from 2 years to 1, including living costs of other cities and London, Ontario, I am framing it as paying a lump sum for a degree that is supposed to be 2 years but has been brought down to one (it's letting me sleep at night lol).

Lastly, a wonderful colleague of mine said that you only need one place to say yes, and it's the student that makes the program, not the other way around.

So here I am, ready to drag my butt across Canada in hopes of putting my foot in the door of the public health work force and research out in Ontario.

Those are great reasons! I'm also going to be accepting UWO! Let's be friends! hahaha

No but in all seriousness, I think thinking about it as a 2 year program condensed to one, and then you'll only have to be somewhere else for a year is a huge reason for me as well. Plus I took a look at the current program, and honestly the class looks so diverse and that's super important when thinking about public health as well, so that's a huge draw for me too.

1 hour ago, vancouverrunner said:

Any word on UBC? I got my acceptance two weeks ago. I didnt actually even apply at SFU  or McGill but when I saw your post I checked out their programs. They both look amazing. McGill has some interesting opportunities and sometimes I think UBC is over-hyped (even if I did accept my offer :P)

Oh you did congrats! That’s awesome. I haven’t heard anything more so far from UBC. I agree that all the programs look really good so I’m in a good position but UBC would allow me to stay at home and also go to a new university so I’m still crossing my fingers! 

Hey everyone!

Congrats to those of you who have heard back and been accepted, good luck to those who have not, putting yourself out there is important and there's always next year.

I've applied to a few schools, most of which were reach schools I've been rejected from. But I haven't hear anything whatsoever from two schools, Guelph and Lakehead. Guelph said they'd get back to applicants in April so I sent the admissions office an email asking for any update because as of now the portal hasn't been updated since February. Same with Lakehead. I'm just looking for some idea of what to expect, I don't mind rejection, I just need to know :'( 

Thank!

I received my official letter from U of Alberta- Health Promotion yesterday and I will be accepting the offer. I was also accepted into Western, but because of the high tuition fee for international students i will be declining. Good luck to everyone and if someone is also going to Alberta this year, let's talk!

Edited by Rhcesar

7 minutes ago, nursegirl said:

@Mph17 darn. sorry to hear that. was that via email? or did you check your application status?

I think they are saying they turned down their offer.

47 minutes ago, neonlily said:

I think they are saying they turned down their offer.

Yea lol. Should have been clearer, my bad. I turned down the offer so it should open up a spot for someone else. 

Today was the deadline to respond, so a new wave of emails should go out soon. 

2 hours ago, Mph17 said:

Yea lol. Should have been clearer, my bad. I turned down the offer so it should open up a spot for someone else. 

Today was the deadline to respond, so a new wave of emails should go out soon. 

Yes:) I turned Sask down also, so hopefully someone else gets good news!

What are your thoughts on Waterloo's program and UVic? I've been accepted to both but am curious on what others think of the programs being that they are relatively new. I'm on the wait list for U of A - really hoping I get into UofA. Anyone else still waiting? 

Also, if you aren't planning on going to u of a, please decline so waitlist applicants can get contacted!! ? much love!