MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

8 hours ago, philtrchc said:

What are the chances to get off Columbia's waitlist based on the past few years? Does anybody know?

I literally have no idea. In the email I got today, looks like there is a short list and we may or may not ever be contacted. I’m going to move forward with Pratt- which I’m excited about! Still NY and they offered me a great merit scholarship- coming with a family, so that was nice. 

6 minutes ago, artistajh said:

I literally have no idea. In the email I got today, looks like there is a short list and we may or may not ever be contacted. I’m going to move forward with Pratt- which I’m excited about! Still NY and they offered me a great merit scholarship- coming with a family, so that was nice. 

Hey Artistajh,

Just curious, for Pratt, when was your interview and when did you receive your acceptance?  

Thanks!

Got the waitlist email from Columbia today too. All done with apps.

Yale (painting) - accepted

Hunter (combined media)- accepted

Columbia (new genres) - waitlisted

Prob will withdraw Hunter. Not a lot of time left to act for Columbia. So if I don't hear anything in the next week I'll withdraw from waitlist.

Edited by hoax

Since everyone is updating:

Columbia: rejected post interview, sadly

Rutgers: le reject

NYU: ???

Hunter: accepted

UPenn: accepted (not enough funding tho)

Think I'm going to Hunter!! Gonna do some more due diligence but staying in new york, school for 3 years pt sounds great. It was always in my top 3 :)

1 hour ago, calgone22 said:

Hi all, 

Since I was only accepted to MICA, I'll def be going there, but am trying to decide between two programs - Mount Royal (multidisciplinary) and Photo and Electronic Media. Supposedly Mount Royal currently has a better reputation, but I got more money from PEM (50%, which is their biggest scholarship). I got 30% from Mount Royal. I've been talking to EVERYONE I can and thought maybe I'd post to this here trusty forum to see if anyone has any thoughts? :wub::wub::wub:

Also, did anyone on this forum get accepted to UCLA New Genres? I don't recall seeing any acceptances. If someone was, I would love to look at their website! 

Thank you!!!

I'm going to MICA for PEM, got 36% scholarship. Why do you say MR has a better rep? I've been hearing very good things about PEM. I'd just say do whatever you feel is the stronger bet - you got more of a scholarship, which is a plus - do you see your work being most cultivated by PEM or by MR? That should be one of the biggest considerations . If you're more focused in that area, I'd say PEM. Both are at MICA, after all, which will still be a great school regardless.

Edited by TinaSlay

7 hours ago, DigitalGlacier said:

Congratulations on your acceptances! 

I think that that may be the case with the waitlist but we don’t know for sure. I interviewed on feb 26th. Also, last year I was notified of my place on the waitlist on Monday March 27, which would correspond to this upcoming Monday. 

All that said I know some ppl last year had heard about waitlist like ten days before I heard so take that for whatever it’s worth  

Waitlisted for Columbia too. What program did you interview for? 

1 hour ago, meowww said:

Thank you so much. Actually I was worried about their too small class and city:huh:

I've heard VCU is a fantastic school for MFA programs. Richmond is also a pretty nice city, and not too small - 200,000. Plus, it's close to other major areas.

Final results for me:

Boston U: Accepted with scholarship

Pratt: Accepted with larger scholarship

RISD: Waitlisted :(. Apparently I'm in the top spots, so fingers crossed.

I'll probably end up going to Pratt. I was really excited about the school after the interview, so I think it's the best fit. RISD would be amazing too (especially for living expenses), but oh well. 

It's been a roller coaster. Glad I got to ride it with everyone here! Good luck to you all. If anyone is set on going to Pratt, feel free to hit me up. My gf and I are going to need a place to live, and I think roommates will probably be necessary. We're pretty chill, so lemme know!

1 hour ago, VitaminPme said:

Hey Artistajh,

Just curious, for Pratt, when was your interview and when did you receive your acceptance?  

Thanks!

My interview with Pratt was March 8th and I received a phone call acceptance the following week on the 13th with an official email this past Tuesday. They are offering a 30K scholarship and I'm excited to move forward! I'll deal with the idea of shifting to Columbia if that opportunity presents itself, but I'm not holding my breath to get selected off of a wait list. 

Final Tally:

RISD : Accepted with 17500/year

Columbia: Rejected without interview lol

UCLA: Rejected

SVA: Accepted

NYU: Accepted

SAIC: Accepted with near full-ride (gotta pay 2500~ a year)

CalArts: Accepted with 22k/year

Well thats it and It looks like I'm headed to SAIC  They also gave me an additional 8k in work-study so with a side hustle I'll be able to pay for rent & food. Shouldn't come out with much debt.

Overall, pretty happy with how it turned out!

40 minutes ago, artistajh said:

My interview with Pratt was March 8th and I received a phone call acceptance the following week on the 13th with an official email this past Tuesday. They are offering a 30K scholarship and I'm excited to move forward! I'll deal with the idea of shifting to Columbia if that opportunity presents itself, but I'm not holding my breath to get selected off of a wait list. 

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your acceptance!  I interviewed the week after you, and haven't heard anything.  Probably won't attend without a scholarship offer. 

I guess you never know how things will shake out.

7 hours ago, meowww said:

MFA Graphic Design 

Yale : waitlisted 

RISD : ghosted (maybe rejected)

RCA :  accepted

MICA : accepted with $14000 each year

VCU : accepted with full funding for a year and assistantship

SVA : rejected

OTIS : accepted with $24000

That's all I got right now, 

YALE was my one and only choice but I guess there is no hope for the wait list...

I am still thinking about where should I go... maybe RCA? or... one more year?

What do you think guys? Need some advice :(

Hi did you apply for RISD GD 2yr/ 3yr ? Also congratulations on all the awesome offers.

13 hours ago, meowww said:

MFA Graphic Design 

Yale : waitlisted 

RISD : ghosted (maybe rejected)

RCA :  accepted

MICA : accepted with $14000 each year

VCU : accepted with full funding for a year and assistantship

SVA : rejected

OTIS : accepted with $24000

That's all I got right now, 

YALE was my one and only choice but I guess there is no hope for the wait list...

I am still thinking about where should I go... maybe RCA? or... one more year?

What do you think guys? Need some advice :(

Do you mean RCA in London? DONT go there. I only hear bad things about their GD MFA

Edited by ni33th

Hello!

i just found out about this whole website and it seems really cool! Also the community here seems really nice. 

Currently im still in waiting hell on 2/3 colleges I applied to so it would be super helpful if anyone could say anything about the two I’m waiting on!

Hunter: rejected

UMass: nothing yet

Emerson: nothing yet

Edited by Atta.Apricot

On 3/8/2018 at 10:45 AM, cklos said:

For what program, though? MassArt already had their big interview day and this was in the last email from the grad coordinator: “Graduate admissions decisions should go out the first full week of March.”

Hey, sorry to tag this one, I can't find your later post. I see from your signature that you were accepted! Congrats. Did you hear about funding? My interview is next week.

5 hours ago, Atta.Apricot said:

Hello!

i just found out about this whole website and it seems really cool! Also the community here seems really nice. 

Currently im still in waiting hell on 2/3 colleges I applied to so it would be super helpful if anyone could say anything about the two I’m waiting on!

Hunter: rejected

UMass: nothing yet

Emerson: nothing yet

I also applied for Umass but at Dartmouth. I heard nothing.

But I already decided to go to MICA so yeah...

Yayyyyyy, got into George Mason and American this morning!! B) Pretty sure I'm going to go to GMU, even though it's a smaller program. I liked the diversity of the faculty and really clicked with the painting professor, felt a good connection and liked what she thought about my work. Plus facilities are amazing, and logistically it's closest. Not sure on funding yet, but at any rate it'll be the cheapest of any I've been accepted to plus GTAs and GPAs are available.

So updated:

GMU: Accepted

American: Accepted

MICA MFAST: Accepted with 28k scholarship (7k/year = 1/3 tuition covered per year) 

GWU: Rejected, boo

VCU: Still haven't heard...

update for anyone who applied to risd graphic design... I just called and asked for application status, and the office said decisions aren't done yet from the program and we will know by early next week. 

That just seems terribly late...is this normal at all?

---

edit; decisions did come. nvm lmao.

Edited by soymilk