2018 Speech Pathology Graduate Applicants

Started Spring 2018 two weeks ago, and grad school is already brutal.  Good luck, everyone!  There's a program for everyone. Don't lose hope. You WILL get in!

Where are you applying? 7 Schools Applied: Carlos Albizu University, University of West Georgia , Valdosta State University, University of Tennessee, East Tennessee State University, University of Mississippi, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Where are you from?  Miami, FL (Born and raised as well)

What are your concerns? GRE SCORES!

Cummulative GPA: 3.6+

Experience: Bilingual/ SLPA

Good Faith and Luck to everyone that has applied for Fall term 2018! I have been rejected by grad schools last year and yes it is very expensive to apply. :/

Let's hope and continue applying!

Edited by Mich_Speech

Y'all!!!! I heard back from ASU! My first acceptance into a grad program! :D

Haven't heard anything yet about funding (including their Bilingual program) but imma wait and see! I was shocked to hear back so early!

14 hours ago, snoves said:

Y'all!!!! I heard back from ASU! My first acceptance into a grad program! :D

Haven't heard anything yet about funding (including their Bilingual program) but imma wait and see! I was shocked to hear back so early!

Congratulations! I hope you get the funding - every little bit helps!

4 hours ago, SLPin2020 said:

Congratulations! I hope you get the funding - every little bit helps!

Thank you! I really do too. I know i would enjoy it but I'm just not willing to go out of state unless I get funding (or I don't get into any CSUs...). It sucks that money has to be a part of the descision :/

On November 25, 2017 at 10:37 AM, broca's aphasia said:

Which programs are you applying to?  University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Dallas, University of Arizona, University of Washington (MedSLP preferred but applying to both), Portland State University, Rush University, Temple University, Case Western Reserve University, New York Medical College, MGH

Where are you from? Texas!

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  Cumulative GPA!  I switched majors 2 years into school and came from a science heavy background.  My cumulative GPA is a mere 3.5.  Everything else is good: Major GPA is a 3.9, last 60 credits GPA is a 3.85, GRE is 156 Q, 159 V and 5.5 AW.  I have a lot of research and therapy experience thanks to a great undergrad education, and even experience working in schools and hospitals.  It's just that stupid cumulative GPA.

Hello, I noticed you are applying to Temple! I am about to submit my application but am confused about their writing sample. Do they want you to submit a general personal statement AND responses to the 2 prompts? It's not clear on CSDCAS, but on their website it seems they want both... Thanks! 

Where are you applying? Molloy College, Hofstra University, LIU Post, Brooklyn College, St. John's University, and Sacred Heart University

Where are you from? Long Island, New York

What are your concerns? I previously attended Farmingdale State College for two years. While I was here, I pursued prerequisite courses for a physical therapy program,  which included anatomy and physiology, chemistry, and biology. Theses courses took a toll on my GPA at Farmingdale State College. When I graduated with my associates in liberal arts and sciences, my GPA was about a 3.5. I then went to Molloy College for 3 years, which was where i completed my coursework in speech pathology, and achieved an overall GPA of 3.91. I am a little nervous that graduate programs will look at my past and see that I had a 3.5 at Farmingdale College. I know my GRE scores are pretty average, but I work and volunteer a lot, so I am hoping this helps!

SLP Major Average GPA: 3.93, overall: 3.91 (at current college)  previous college: 3.5  

GRE: V: 151 Q: 150 A: 4.0

Edited by allisonicks

7 minutes ago, Dianamite said:

Just curious to hear what others think about this. Am I at a disadvantage for admission if I submit my FAFSA before applying? Or should I submit after being accepted? 

It doesn't matter at all! At least it didnt for me. I submitted mine in the beginning of February before I heard back from any schools. 

10 minutes ago, Murr57 said:

It doesn't matter at all! At least it didnt for me. I submitted mine in the beginning of February before I heard back from any schools. 

Sorry, I'm new to this platform...Yeah, but how do you know for sure. All else equal, wouldn't a school rather accept someone who doesn't need financial aid???

I don't think so... they're not the ones giving me the loans! I listed the 10 schools I applied to when I filled out my FASFA. I ended up getting in to 6 of the 10. I don't think they care about your financial status, I mean if you're a perfect 4.0 student I dont think theyd deny you because you need financial aid. @Dianamite

Edited by Murr57

On 1/26/2018 at 4:40 PM, donutfearfutureslphere said:

I'd ignore the harsh commenters - I know someone with your stats who got into Northwestern's program. Your GRE scores are really good, and your gpa is not bad, a lot of programs look at everything.

What stats are you referring to? I applied to Northwestern and so want to see where my chances line up

Which programs are you applying to? Midwestern U (Downers Grove), Northwestern U, Rush U, Western Illinois U, University of Illinois, and Indiana U (Bloomington)

Where are you from? Illinois!

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I'm a post-bac student (currently in Northwestern's post-bac program) so I don't have as much class experiences as other applicants. Also, my GRE scores are very very very average unfortunately (152 V), but I'm hoping my interview at Midwestern went well! 

I'm wondering if anyone has any friends or themselves have gotten into these schools and what were the stats?

On 1/18/2018 at 9:17 PM, futureSLPhopefullylol said:

Just curious, why do you say it's brutal?!

Off the bat, it's way different from undergrad -- the focus isn't getting an A anymore, but to submerge yourself in the content and absorb everything. Sooooo much reading, and assignments are piling on, but it's AWESOME. It's a lot of work, but it's SO fascinating!  You get to really dive into this field; I'm loving it so far, despite being really busy. I'm only a month into the program, so I'm sure it gets harder from here. The work is totally doable -- it's just a lot.

Which programs are you applying to?: University of Georgia, Western Michigan University, Hofstra, Mercy College, Molloy, Touro College, Nazareth College, St. John's University, CUNY Queens, Kean University, and Clarion University.

Where are you from?: Long Island, NY

What are your biggest concerns about applications?: My biggest concerns about applications fall into the CSDCAS realm. Working with CSDCAS to apply was a struggle because their site was confusing for me and they left out a lot of details when I called asking specific questions and now I fear that it is shown in my application. I'm really concerned with my GPA because I got two C+'s during my undergraduate career in non speech major courses such as math and science. Like I'm sure others feel, I am concerned with how I look "on paper" as opposed to how they would view me if someone form the department sat down and met with me.

My GRE scores are not competitive unfortunately (I'm a very bad test taker thanks to nerves): V 142 Q 140 writing 3.5

My GPA seems average (compared to peers in my current undergraduate program) but maybe a little low for the competitive major? GPA: 3.252 Major GPA:3.422

I currently have applied to 10/11 schools I listed above and have received an interview with Mercy College mid/late February. 

Which programs are you applying to? University of Iowa, University of Washington (Post-Bac), Chapman University (Post-Bac)

Where are you from? SF Bay Area, California

What are your biggest concerns about applications? I'm afraid that I won't get in.  A few of the programs I'm applying to seem particularly competitive, and I'm afraid that I may simply not stand out among all the applicants.  

Which programs are you applying to? The University of Montana, Idaho State University, Northern Colorado University, Pacific University (Interview 2/16/18), University of Wyoming, University of Oregon, and Northern Arizona University.

Where are you from? Montana

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is that I have a low undergraduate GPA (2.68). However, with that being said, I was unaware that I have a learning disability and was diagnosed at the age 24 with severe dyslexia.  Last year, I made the decision to go back to school, with the appropriate accommodations, to complete a post-bac leveling program. Thankfully, I was able to bring up my GPA and completed the courses with 3.98 GPA. I have also been an SLP-A for the past five years and I'm hoping my experience will help with my application.  However, I am still concerned my undergrad GPA will overshadow my post-bac GPA and my work experience. 

39 minutes ago, aelwood14 said:

Which programs are you applying to? The University of Montana, Idaho State University, Northern Colorado University, Pacific University (Interview 2/16/18), University of Wyoming, University of Oregon, and Northern Arizona University.

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My biggest concern is that I have a low undergraduate GPA (2.68). However, with that being said, I was unaware that I have a learning disability and was diagnosed at the age 24 with severe dyslexia.  Last year, I made the decision to go back to school, with the appropriate accommodations, to complete a post-bac leveling program. Thankfully, I was able to bring up my GPA and completed the courses with 3.98 GPA. I have also been an SLP-A for the past five years and I'm hoping my experience will help with my application.  However, I am still concerned my undergrad GPA will overshadow my post-bac GPA and my work experience. 

@aelwood14 I have similar concerns! I started off my undergrad as a music major 10 years ago, and I was miserable; always getting sick all the time, I was in an abusive relationship, and I suffered with a mental health disorder- so all that ended with me in the hospital and my GPA went wayyyy down during that time. Now I have maintained a solid GPA in both my Associate's degree and my bachelor's that I'm completing now and I am currently in an SLPA internship. But the CSDCAS website requires all prior transcripts and they cumulate your GPA from ALL schools attended which I fear looks really bad! So I'm hoping that schools see how hard I've worked in the last 5 years, and don't judge me based on my transcripts from 10 years ago.

Best of luck to you- I hope it works out for both of us! You have wonderful experience, and I'm sure the grad programs will really value that :) 

22 hours ago, Samrose96 said:

Which programs are you applying to?: University of Georgia, Western Michigan University, Hofstra, Mercy College, Molloy, Touro College, Nazareth College, St. John's University, CUNY Queens, Kean University, and Clarion University.

Where are you from?: Long Island, NY

What are your biggest concerns about applications?: My biggest concerns about applications fall into the CSDCAS realm. Working with CSDCAS to apply was a struggle because their site was confusing for me and they left out a lot of details when I called asking specific questions and now I fear that it is shown in my application. I'm really concerned with my GPA because I got two C+'s during my undergraduate career in non speech major courses such as math and science. Like I'm sure others feel, I am concerned with how I look "on paper" as opposed to how they would view me if someone form the department sat down and met with me.

My GRE scores are not competitive unfortunately (I'm a very bad test taker thanks to nerves): V 142 Q 140 writing 3.5

My GPA seems average (compared to peers in my current undergraduate program) but maybe a little low for the competitive major? GPA: 3.252 Major GPA:3.422

I currently have applied to 10/11 schools I listed above and have received an interview with Mercy College mid/late February. 

I can relate to pretty much everything you said.  CSDCAS is a nightmare.  We have very similar GRE scores and GPAs.  I applied to twelve schools and I am just hoping that I get one acceptance.  I also have an interview at Mercy so maybe I will see you there.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, aelwood14 said:

You’re gonna be great! Great stats! 

I also applied to U of Montana.. let me know if you hear anything! 

Which programs are you applying to? The University of Montana (Distance), Idaho State University (Distance), Northern Colorado University (Distance), Midwestern University (Glendale)

Where are you from? Arizona

What are your biggest concerns about applications? My GPA is a 3.25 so it's low, and my quant GRE score is not competitive. I am hoping my experience as an SLPA, my LORs, and my SOP helps me out! I have a feeling I won't get into any schools this time around :( But I am going to keep trying and keep working to make myself more competitive!