Fall 2018 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

psych0

1 hour ago, starburst said:

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do we need to share POIs via PM vs just posting initials here? Is there a specific reason or are people just not comfortable sharing that information. 

I can't share what anyone's actual reasons might be, but I can tell you why I would assume for only stating them through private message (or for being purposefully vague when discussing your own stats). There is a [good] chance that POIs are aware of these forums and might even watch them. If you give enough identifying information on here, it probably becomes easy to figure out exactly which applicant you are. There is no way to know what sort of implicit or explicit association that POI has with this forum, the fact that you have shared information about being contacted, or anything else you have said or done on the forum. There is then the chance that this could impact your chances of getting into the program. The initials thing I am not totally sure about, honestly.

2 hours ago, starburst said:

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do we need to share POIs via PM vs just posting initials here? Is there a specific reason or are people just not comfortable sharing that information. 

From my experience, people ask for POI because they want to know if all the invites have been sent out for their specific POI... this is especially for the case for programs where the POIs or someone in their lab is the main point of contact for specific applicants to that lab. POI initials are much less relevant for mass emails. 

Hope this helps!

47 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

From my experience, people ask for POI because they want to know if all the invites have been sent out for their specific POI... this is especially for the case for programs where the POIs or someone in their lab is the main point of contact for specific applicants to that lab. POI initials are much less relevant for mass emails. 

Hope this helps!

that makes sense! it seems that people were just reluctant to share information, and i wasn't sure quite way. although one of the other explanations provided actually makes a lot of sense. :) thank you!

1 hour ago, PsyZei said:

I can't share what anyone's actual reasons might be, but I can tell you why I would assume for only stating them through private message (or for being purposefully vague when discussing your own stats). There is a [good] chance that POIs are aware of these forums and might even watch them. If you give enough identifying information on here, it probably becomes easy to figure out exactly which applicant you are. There is no way to know what sort of implicit or explicit association that POI has with this forum, the fact that you have shared information about being contacted, or anything else you have said or done on the forum. There is then the chance that this could impact your chances of getting into the program. The initials thing I am not totally sure about, honestly.

This makes a lot of sense! I just feel like not sharing initials really adds a lot of unnecessary stress for other people looking at the results page (myself included lol). For any given program there's anywhere from 4-10 different PIs inviting 5-15 students each for interviews, so just stating the program's name doesn't give much information. Also something tells me that most PIs don't check gradcafe regularly? Could be wrong, who knows. I try not to freak myself out about it too much.

2 minutes ago, starburst said:

This makes a lot of sense! I just feel like not sharing initials really adds a lot of unnecessary stress for other people looking at the results page (myself included lol). For any given program there's anywhere from 4-10 different PIs inviting 5-15 students each for interviews, so just stating the program's name doesn't give much information. Also something tells me that most PIs don't check gradcafe regularly? Could be wrong, who knows. I try not to freak myself out about it too much.

I agree, I don't think there is much reason not to share initials through the survey format. That format doesn't directly connect anyone to their forum avatar. I honestly doubt many POIs check regularly, but I bet many know about gradcafe. I think the not sharing in the forum is more a safe than sorry/discretion and valor type thing.

14 minutes ago, Psych2018 said:

Can the person who received an invite from University of Iowa message me which POI?

I would appreciate this information, as well. :D

13 minutes ago, starburst said:

I have a feeling that all of the invites for Temple have been sent out. The interview dates are usually somewhere between January 12th and 16th. :(

I believe inteviews are 1/19 and 1/22 this year...I really hope they've not all been sent but I am concerned as well. Would be very helpful to know which PIs have sent decisions! :)  

29 minutes ago, starburst said:

I have a feeling that all of the invites for Temple have been sent out. The interview dates are usually somewhere between January 12th and 16th. :(

Yes, interviews are a bit later this year. I’ve noticed in previous years that invitations were sometimes extended after the winter break. They also sent out the email about how the process would continue after the break. Hopefully we all still have a shot :) I haven’t seen anyone mention or PM me that my POI has extended invitations yet, so there’s still hope. If someone else was invited and hasn’t messaged me the POI, I would appreciate it! Deep breaths, and good luck!