Fall 2018 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

psych0

Hello all, may I ask how you would answer to sensitive questions such as "Will you come if I extend you an offer?/ How much interest do you have in coming to our program?" ?

I was asked for two times at this application cycle, and I think my answers were not good. I basically said something like "I am not sure at this time, but your program is high on my list" or "I find it difficult to decide at this point."  What would you say if you are in my position (granted that the program is not your top choice but you do not hear from your top choice yet)? I would really really appreciate any input!

On 1/3/2018 at 12:11 PM, Meteor&Star said:

School: Purdue University

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 1/3/2017

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): skype first

Would you mind sharing your POI?

On 12/26/2017 at 8:59 AM, starburst said:

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do we need to share POIs via PM vs just posting initials here? Is there a specific reason or are people just not comfortable sharing that information. 

It would be so much easier to share here!!

On 12/26/2017 at 8:59 AM, starburst said:

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do we need to share POIs via PM vs just posting initials here? Is there a specific reason or are people just not comfortable sharing that information. 

The volume of posts asking for POIs is a little bit of a deterrent for me, but I still did want to share some info. For NIU folks, I got an email from POI with an interview offer. However, attachments included a letter from DCT and info for travel arrangements. Whether or not all POIs made decisions/sent them yet I can't say, but the program did set their deadline for notifications for next week. Emails could still be going out this week :) 

https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

I posted this somewhere in the forum previously but here it is again, if it helps anyone.

Unrelated, but I've heard that interviews for UNCG could be going out as early as this week as well. Good luck everyone!

9 hours ago, Meteor&Star said:

Hello all, may I ask how you would answer to sensitive questions such as "Will you come if I extend you an offer?/ How much interest do you have in coming to our program?" ?

I was asked for two times at this application cycle, and I think my answers were not good. I basically said something like "I am not sure at this time, but your program is high on my list" or "I find it difficult to decide at this point."  What would you say if you are in my position (granted that the program is not your top choice but you do not hear from your top choice yet)? I would really really appreciate any input!

Here's my perspective as someone who got into my top choice last cycle (first time I applied, straight out of undergrad):

This is a super awkward question and I never actually encountered this question in the 7 interviews I attended. Of course, there is a way to discuss potential projects and ideas with your perspective mentors without them directly asking if you want to come/how much you want to come. If you don't actually know, you can be honest by saying that the program is high on your list but you want to evaluate everything and sit on it before making any decisions if you were to receive a formal offer. I personally think that's how I would respond... it's not a lie, but it doesn't give them false expectations.

That being said, if you get an interview at your dream program (like I did), tell them directly in your interview that their program is your top choice for BLAH BLAH BLAH reasons and that you would go if they extended an offer. Faculty wind up being screwed all the time because students don't accept and they miss getting a student. So, in my case, when I said that to my mentor, I basically assured her that if she wanted to extend me an offer that I would come in a heartbeat... and I did. 

I know this isn't the answer you may want to hear. That is a weird predicament your POI is putting you in by asking that question. But, I hope my response may help you... 

Best of luck!

On 12/30/2017 at 6:14 PM, Timemachines said:

For those that applied to u of Houston clinical, I heard from POI - proper interview invitations dont go out until mid january fyi!

Heck that's comforting. I'm sitting here checking my email every 5 minutes. 

For those of you who posted in the results survey about Curry Virginia, could you PM me your POIs please? Also, I'm wondering if they sent out the emails to all the invitees at the same time...holding out hope they'll email me later today...

26 minutes ago, HT20 said:

For those of you who posted in the results survey about Curry Virginia, could you PM me your POIs please? Also, I'm wondering if they sent out the emails to all the invitees at the same time...holding out hope they'll email me later today...

Could you guys please send me your POI’s for curry as well?

me too... trying to not lose hope!

good luck!! 

Has anyone heard from George Mason or know if all invites are out for Maryland - College Park?

Am wondering about George Mason as well.  I saw on the CUDCP calendar that the deadline is today, but haven't seen any posted results.  Fingers crossed!

On 1/8/2018 at 1:25 PM, yyjkkk said:

School: Southern Methodist

Type: PhD (Clinical)

Date of invite: 1/8/2018

Type of invite: Email from POI

Interview date(s): 1/2 to 2/2 

Can you please send me your POI initials? Much thanks and congrats!

21 hours ago, Kera1228 said:

Has anyone heard from the following schools?

• ECU
  • UAB-Birmingham
  • Univ. of Memphis
  • Penn State
  • VA Consortium
  • Pitt
  • Univ. NC Charlotte

I am completely freaking out seeing that other people have received invites from other schools

I was contacted by my POI a little over a week ago from Memphis. Just asked a few prelim questions.

I have seen a few posters for VCU and U of Arizona and SMU - does anyone know if these programs have extended all of their invites? I have yet to hear anything from them and check my email/portals religiously. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, sicm18 said:

I have seen a few posters for VCU and U of Arizona and SMU - does anyone know if these programs have extended all of their invites? I have yet to hear anything from them and check my email/portals religiously. Thanks!

hey there , u of arizona reached out fairly early around mid december, I'd definitely get in touch to ask if they've extended all invites