Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 hour ago, psychtobeme said:

Conscientiousness or neuroticism....who knows!

now we gotta talk about neo-ffi hahah i've been checking the portals everyday to make sure all my stuff are paired up and have emailed schools. i keep worrying that they'll think i'm a nuisance for adding to the flood of emails theyll be getting. but i'd rather that then an incomplete application

7 minutes ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Currently attempting to pray all my recommenders into submitting their LORs on time.?

Also trying very hard make sure my body does not revolt on me. Combining full time work with applications is a dooooozy. ?

Same here.. I've been sleeping terribly since I submitted my applications and I need a nap so bad right now.

1 minute ago, psychtobeme said:

I keep fantasizing that maybe they will start looking at applications on Monday and I will get a call by Friday *wishful thinking*.

Ha, no way. They have to go through a department admissions committee first, and then the individual faculty have to look through their pile.

11 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Ha, no way. They have to go through a department admissions committee first, and then the individual faculty have to look through their pile.

Two years ago I submitted an application on the 1st of January and got a call on the 4th! You never know! But yes, most likely not going to happen.

Just now, psychtobeme said:

Two years ago I submitted an application on the 1st of January and got a call on the 4th! You never know! But yes, most likely not going to happen.

Haha, I doubt I'm such a great applicant that they're going to call me right away. ? 

Hey everyone quick question: would you still apply to a program if you were a few points off of their GRE minimum?

Also, do you think programs weigh the GRE more than your GPA? (For IO PhD programs specifically)

Thanks for the help and good luck everyone!

15 minutes ago, londonbnd said:

Hey everyone quick question: would you still apply to a program if you were a few points off of their GRE minimum?

Also, do you think programs weigh the GRE more than your GPA? (For IO PhD programs specifically)

Regarding the GPA, I might if my research experience, PS, and research fit were enough to compensate for it.

I feel like GRE and GPA are weighed differently between schools, but perhaps that's just me?

Edited by EileanDonan

Strange....

I've been obsessively checking the schools I submitted apps to that had 11/26 deadlines (lol) and Berkeley just changed their deadline to 12/3 at 7:00am PST according to their website? The deadline was previously listed as 11/26 at 7:59pm PST up until yesterday...

4 hours ago, londonbnd said:

Thanks for the help and good luck everyone!

I don't know of many schools that give a hard minimum, but if you're a bit off the average then yes I would certainly still apply if you have a strong fit along with your other credentials. If there is a true minimum that they require then I would be hesitant to apply since they may just filter out any applicants below that threshold. Every program is different, though.

Just now, SJK01 said:

Strange....

I've been obsessively checking the schools I submitted apps to that had 11/26 deadlines (lol) and Berkeley just changed their deadline to 12/3 at 7:00am PST according to their website? The deadline was previously listed as 11/26 at 7:59pm PST up until yesterday...

Berkeley sent me an email saying that there was a system error that delayed their process. Deadline is 12/3 at 7am Pacific.

Just now, SJK01 said:

Omg. Why didn't I get this email? That's slightly terrifying.. 

Did you already submit? I started the app and decided not to apply so they may have only emailed people who haven't submitted yet!

Just now, socpsy said:

Did you already submit? I started the app and decided not to apply so they may have only emailed people who haven't submitted yet!

Whew okay that's a relief. Yeah, I submitted on 11/20 and everything looks normal in the portal on my end so I'm hoping that's the case. Thanks for the info :) 

1 minute ago, SJK01 said:

Whew okay that's a relief. Yeah, I submitted on 11/20 and everything looks normal in the portal on my end so I'm hoping that's the case. Thanks for the info :) 

No worries! I think we're all here to mitigate as much anxiety as possible. :)

Good luck!!

I've been lurking here for a while but figured I'd chime in with the programs I applied to! I haven't seen many mentions of them. They are all Clinical Child Psych PhD programs.

- University of Oregon, University of Washington, Washington State University, CU Denver (Clinical Health Psych)

My list is definitely geographically specific, and I'm nervous seeing that most applicants applied at 10 - 15 ? anticipating I'll need to apply next year as well!

Any other infant mental health folks out there?!

Edited by justacigar

32 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I've been lurking here for a while but figured I'd chime in with the programs I applied to! I haven't seen many mentions of them. They are all Clinical Child Psych PhD programs.

- University of Oregon, University of Washington, Washington State University, CU Denver (Clinical Health Psych)

My list is definitely geographically specific, and I'm nervous seeing that most applicants applied at 10 - 15 ? anticipating I'll need to apply next year as well!

Any other infant mental health folks out there?!

Not specifically infant mental health, but I'm also interested in clinical child psych. I applied to UW too! Who is the POI you applied to there?

Best of luck!!

I turned in my applications early thinking it would make me feel better... but the wait is agonizing hahaha. I just found out that one of my universities still hasn’t received two of my transcripts which I sent November 10 and 14 and my GRE scores which I requested for on November 2nd....... so I’m pretty worried. 

Ps I hope everyone is doing well in this crazy journey! We got this!