Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 hour ago, Whoops0000 said:

My GPA 3.56, GRE 144/158/3.0 (my verbal and AW just can't make it although I tried retaking the test). Have really low confidence due to the GREs. Applying to some of the clinical and some of the psych-neuroscience programs.  

The V and AWA is simply too low compared to what these competitive programs accept (Especially if they are fully-funded). You're able to view this in their Students Outcomes data. If I was you, I would look into Plan B and focus on re-taking this exam. You can raise these scores. Other doctoral student forums provide excellent resources for re-taking it. You may be great candidate, but those scores will most likely prevent your application from getting reviewed and considered :(

23 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

People are getting interview offers already? My apps aren't even complete because my third recommender isn't going to submit until tomorrow. 

Exactly what I'm thinking right now. Shook!?

2 hours ago, PsychGalLRR said:

Has anyone else heard from the University of Georgia? If so would you mind sharing your POI? Just over here freaking out that mine has already contacted people and it must be a rejection. Yes I know that sounds irrational but here we are, anxiety at level 10! lol

Hey! I received an email from the department at UGA. It's only a prelim interview, so I wouldn't put too much stock into being out of the running just yet. All of my rec letters aren't even yet.

I almost did not submit a required document for one of my schools. I also still need to call one of my schools to check if they recieved all my document because it tells me on their website that they haven't. On a better not,  I have submitted all my applications that were due Dec 1st and my final recommender submitted his letter too. I am very close to surviving this application season. Sending everyone positive vibes!

My GRE scores are missing at almost every school and one of my recommenders hasn't submitted any of his letters. I'm running on adrenaline here.

Just realized I entered the wrong second-choice faculty advisor at UT Austin. Think I'm probably out of the running on that one...

4 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

My GRE scores are missing at almost every school and one of my recommenders hasn't submitted any of his letters. I'm running on adrenaline here.

Just realized I entered the wrong second-choice faculty advisor at UT Austin. Think I'm probably out of the running on that one...

Do you know if it matters if the school doesn't receive the official GRE report by the application due date even there was an unofficial report submitted with your app?

Just now, londonbnd said:

Do you know if it matters if the school doesn't receive the official GRE report by the application due date even there was an unofficial report submitted with your app?

Some schools don't allow any kind of unofficial (e.g., PDF) report submission, so for those schools all I have is the self-report.

58 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

People are getting interview offers already? My apps aren't even complete because my third recommender isn't going to submit until tomorrow. 

yayyy someone to commiserate. 2 of my 3 LORs will be in only on 1st dec hahah i'm not crying you are hahaha

1 hour ago, Kylar said:

Have people actually lied there in the last? That's pretty shitty given how crazy we all are lol

Sadly they do (this is my fourth time applying to a grad program). I guarantee there's going to be someone who posts a fake acceptance to a top school on like December 2nd.

1 hour ago, Kylar said:

Have people actually lied there in the last? That's pretty shitty given how crazy we all are lol

Also people might inflate their stats so they don't feel as self conscious...I promise everything I will post will be 100% accurate lol. 

Yeah... after reading this thread I've been wondering whether I should have retaken the GRE to up my math score, but I stand by my assessment that I probably wouldn't have been able to improve much...if I get shut out this round I will retake for next cycle. 

10 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Sadly they do (this is my fourth time applying to a grad program). I guarantee there's going to be someone who posts a fake acceptance to a top school on like December 2nd.

I worked in a lab, as an undergraduate (previous app rounds ago) where someone posted they received an invite from my then-advisor/lab director. Then more invites popped out of nowhere. 

Um... She wasn’t even interviewing anyone that application round. LOL. It was so strange/odd. I don’t know why people do this... but they do. ?

28 minutes ago, PsychGalLRR said:

For all those wondering, the person said the email they got for the Skype interview from the University of Georgia was from their PI with the initials JM!

Well.... that doesn't make me feel any better lol. Thanks for the update though, definitely better than not knowing

4 hours ago, londonbnd said:

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting rejected from every school they've applied to? I'm applying to nine IO programs (all phd) with mediocre GRE score (V&Q, not AWA) but high GPA, great LOR, and 2 years of research but I'm nervous my GRE will get me rejected. ? 

Yes. This is more common than it isn't. I know of 4 people personally who this has happened to.

2 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Yeah... after reading this thread I've been wondering whether I should have retaken the GRE to up my math score, but I stand by my assessment that I probably wouldn't have been able to improve much...if I get shut out this round I will retake for next cycle. 

I also believe if I'm rejected by all the programs I applied to I'll retake GRE for next cycle as I did so badly on the writing section. But personally I think your math is fine. The psych department at Indiana University posted that they only require the Math and Verbal to be above 50% and I believe IU is already a very competitive program (psychology rank 17 on US news) . I have no idea why but schools never post their cut-off scores for the AWA section, which makes me even more worried. 

25 minutes ago, Yiyu Liu said:

I also believe if I'm rejected by all the programs I applied to I'll retake GRE for next cycle as I did so badly on the writing section. But personally I think your math is fine. The psych department at Indiana University posted that they only require the Math and Verbal to be above 50% and I believe IU is already a very competitive program (psychology rank 17 on US news) . I have no idea why but schools never post their cut-off scores for the AWA section, which makes me even more worried. 

Phew, that makes me feel a lot better.

The newest thing I'm obsessing about is whether I sent in all the necessary materials with regards to my study abroad transcript...I'm working on an app due December 15th and they're having me run it through a foreign credits calculator to calculate my GPA, which is something I definitely did NOT do for the apps I already submitted, nor do I remember being asked to do it...

For some background, my study abroad credits are listed on my undergrad transcript, but they're just in there as transfer credits that are not factored into my GPA. I included a scanned version of my study abroad transcript for all my schools, but I didn't convert it to a 4.0 scale...should I have done that? I don't remember being told to...should I email all the programs and ask?

Ugh. I didn't even enjoy my time abroad all that much.

Applied to 7 out of my 10 applications due for December 1st. I tried to submit my 8th tonight, Texas Tech, and apparently they aren't taking clinical psych PhD applicants for the fall! I wish I knew that BEFORE I spent money sending over GRE's and transcripts.