Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

2 minutes ago, aokanlawon said:

One of my schools say I have a bunch of incomplete items which I have already submitted. I was hoping to call the school today but no one picked up. Does anyone know if schools are open during the weekend for me to call them.

If it's on the US east coast; then, since it's past 5 pm, it's probably closed. Also, I would guess that the office will be closed over the weekend.

2 minutes ago, aokanlawon said:

One of my schools say I have a bunch of incomplete items which I have already submitted. I was hoping to call the school today but no one picked up. Does anyone know if schools are open during the weekend for me to call them.

Most programs are slammed at the moment trying to time-stamp materials as they are coming in. For most programs, there is a 5-10 business day grace period after the December 1st deadline to sort through materials and forward them to the departments. 

I personally would not want to be the one calling/annoying the department. Trust the process. If nothing is reflecting by next Wednesday morning, then it would be appropriate to send a polite e-mail (not call).

Uploading my last materials tonight. Can't submit my Interfolio application for Temple, as the SOP is still "pending"; wishing I'd done this four hours ago. D'oh. (I did submit all other materials and my application through the Temple site is in.)

1 hour ago, aokanlawon said:

I also have one school missing GRE scores and one missing transcripts although I know I submitted both months ago. I contacted the admissions department and they both checked and don't have it, so I had to re-send it. A little worried that they won't consider my app since not everything was received in time (even though it wasn't my fault). Anyone have experience with anything like this?

8 minutes ago, psychhealth101 said:

I also have one school missing GRE scores and one missing transcripts although I know I submitted both months ago. I contacted the admissions department and they both checked and don't have it, so I had to re-send it. A little worried that they won't consider my app since not everything was received in time (even though it wasn't my fault). Anyone have experience with anything like this?

I'm not sure how accurate this information is but I was told that most schools are lenient and give a grace period for GRE score submissions because these are not sent by the applicant and there can be mixups with ETS/admissions office. Again, I'm not sure how accurate this is but this is what I was told by a professor and a few others applying.

23 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

Uploading my last materials tonight. Can't submit my Interfolio application for Temple, as the SOP is still "pending"; wishing I'd done this four hours ago. D'oh. (I did submit all other materials and my application through the Temple site is in.)

I am applying to Temple also. :)

33 minutes ago, psychhealth101 said:

It might still show up in time. You never know. I had two schools that took FOREVER to send transcripts (I think it was two months). The school I was applying to said that hadn't been received. Then they magically appeared on my application on the due date. I don't know what happened, but yours might still show up.

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. I called UNC at Chapel Hill's Clinical Psych department to see if I could get a confirmation that my GRE scores were sent since the applicant portal showed me they were incomplete (despite what ETS shows me online). The graduate admissions coordinator reassured me that it was fine if the score comes through after the Dec. 1st deadline! She told me not to worry!  She said with a high volume of applicants at the moment it will take the system a while before it goes through. Hope that helps anyone who is also applying to UNC :)

Just realized I accidentally misidentified a program as clinical psychology when it is really a clinical health psychology. Argh! I think that might be a kiss of death on my SOP! I hate that even proofreading doesn't seem to catch every mistake ?

1 hour ago, psychhealth101 said:

I am currently trying my best not to panic. I think you should be fine though as long as you spoke to them and they told you to send it

15 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Just realized I accidentally misidentified a program as clinical psychology when it is really a clinical health psychology. Argh! I think that might be a kiss of death on my SOP! I hate that even proofreading doesn't seem to catch every mistake ?

Don’t worry, mistakes happen. Technically not even incorrect as health psych is a type of clinical psych. Truthfully probably don’t want to go to a site that would reject based on that. Plus a lot of people read through SOP so quickly that they probably won’t notice. You’ll be fine.

1 minute ago, vmPFC187 said:

Don’t worry, mistakes happen. Technically not even incorrect as health psych is a type of clinical psych. Truthfully probably don’t want to go to a site that would reject based on that. Plus a lot of people read through SOP so quickly that they probably won’t notice. You’ll be fine.

Thank you for the reassurance! I swear the more I look at my submitted materials the more anxious I get. I should probably stop ?

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

I can guarantee you that you're much more likely to notice small errors than they are. They care more about your ideas than something this minor. :)

9 hours ago, Psygeek said:

I did skype because i was abroad. They never invited me to campus, it was directly a skype invite

Oh ok great that’s why I was wondering because I am currently living abroad and I am not sure I’ll be able to fly to the states at during that time. So the programs were pretty understanding about your situation then?

26 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

How many of you have programs that send out interview invites this month? There's about ~3 programs sending out invites from the 15th-21st for me... I'm officially a complete wreck.

Here we go December!!!!!!!!!

I know one of mine does for sure and I am freaking out as well! Which programs did you apply to? I feel like time is moving so slowly because I am too eager to see what is going to happen in these coming months. 

51 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

How many of you have programs that send out interview invites this month? There's about ~3 programs sending out invites from the 15th-21st for me... I'm officially a complete wreck.

Here we go December!!!!!!!!!

I know one of my programs holds interviews on January 19th for their clinical program, so I'm assuming they would be sending out invites this month! And it's my top choice. But, on the bright side, I'll know very early if I didn't get in.