Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

Just now, sendmeadvice said:

@higaisha I know a current graduate student at Harvard and my postdoc advisor did her PhD there. This is for cognitive psychology, not clinical, but from my understanding, it may be the same. Anyway, the individual has to agree to take you on, but I think they have very little sway when the admissions committee actually sits down to decide. The postdoc was telling me that applicants are ranked by the committee and then based on the number of slots there is available, the ranking determines who will be admitted. The postdoc did not have a good GRE and was actually applying to a lab where she was an RA, but the PI did not know whether she would be admitted or not. And, it wasn't that he wouldn't tell her. He actually did not know what the committee would decide. I don't know how much the process has changed, and I also do not know whether it is the same process for clinical. 

Thank you sooo much, this clears up the process and makes sense given no one knew if they had a spot or not lol. Clinical is in the same department, and spots are doled out for Psychology in general, so I don't think there are area quotas...reasonable to believe this applies there too. 

Had desperately hoped it wasn't an admission panel assessing applications, so now I know I'm shit out of luck with my awful numbers! LOL, was banking my odds on my POI basically nabbing me on fit/etc alone. 

4 minutes ago, sendmeadvice said:

@higaisha I know a current graduate student at Harvard and my postdoc advisor did her PhD there. This is for cognitive psychology, not clinical, but from my understanding, it may be the same. Anyway, the individual has to agree to take you on, but I think they have very little sway when the admissions committee actually sits down to decide. The postdoc was telling me that applicants are ranked by the committee and then based on the number of slots there is available, the ranking determines who will be admitted. The postdoc did not have a good GRE and was actually applying to a lab where she was an RA, but the PI did not know whether she would be admitted or not. And, it wasn't that he wouldn't tell her. He actually did not know what the committee would decide. I don't know how much the process has changed, and I also do not know whether it is the same process for clinical. 

The admissions process for the Clinical Psychology program at The University of Pennsylvania works the same way. I think it might be an Ivy League thing...

1 hour ago, sendmeadvice said:

When you say she didn't have a good GRE...what does that mean exactly?

@ResilientDreams Although she didn't tell me a score, I think it was dismal, not just unimpressive. She said that the quant and writing were fine, but it was the verbal. She is not a native English speaker, and from her description, I think she kind of refused to learn the useless English words tested in the verbal section. 

I would also like to caveat that she was in no way a typical applicant, so I would take her particular experience with a grain of salt. 

Edited by sendmeadvice

14 minutes ago, sendmeadvice said:

@ResilientDreams Although she didn't tell me a score, I think it was dismal, not just unimpressive. She said that the quant and writing were fine, but it was the verbal. She is not a native English speaker, and from her description, I think she kind of refused to learn the useless English words tested in the verbal section. 

I would also like to caveat that she was in no way a typical applicant, so I would take her particular experience with a grain of salt. 

Of course! I was just wondering. :)

Although the results page can be very useful, please don't get hung up on people's postings on there. Steer clear of the results page if it's only making you more anxious. 

Using this advice for myself, but I thought I would share with you all. It can be a dangerous place for your sanity.

As for admission committees. My intel (transferring to an ivy through the normal applications) is that my advisor can demand to take me in, regardless of the ad comm (given that he has no students now as well). So POI's may/may have not some sort of 'veto' in the say. 

Given that fit is so important, I know that here at my current school POIs do also have quite a say in it. I also know that somewhere in Canada I applied all the applications will basically be given to the POI and the ad comm has far less say in it. 

From my understanding of admissions of my clinical psych PhD program: basically, if you’ll be funded (in a secure fashion) for 5+ years on research grant money, the advisor can do basically whatever they wish (committee still must approve). Teaching or clinical fellowships are usually required to be approved by the full committee, but slots are given each year to profs based on some priority system (who hasn’t taken a student in a while, new PIs, etc.).

23 hours ago, psychapplicant500 said:

Skype interview with University of Miami, received an email from POI.

What do skype interviews mean? Is this in place of in-person, or is this a preliminary interview to determine whether or not they would like to meet in person?

Who is your POI that contacted you from Miami?

Hi y'all! Quick app question:

I took two online masters classes in forensic psychology this fall and got my final grades last night; I did quite well. I sent the transcripts without final grades to my schools, but should I also now send transcripts with grades to my schools as well? Not sure if the grades would help me given I don't have a psychology background, or if they'll even be looked at.

6 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Who keeps re-reading their Purpose Statement(s) over and over again....? Plz tell me it's not just me... LOL

I purposefully put them in a folder not to look at

7 minutes ago, Kylar said:

Hi y'all! Quick app question:

I took two online masters classes in forensic psychology this fall and got my final grades last night; I did quite well. I sent the transcripts without final grades to my schools, but should I also now send transcripts with grades to my schools as well? Not sure if the grades would help me given I don't have a psychology background, or if they'll even be looked at.

It wouldn't hurt! Lots of application systems have a place to upload final grades.

Just now, socpsy said:

I purposefully put them in a folder not to look at

7 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Who keeps re-reading their Purpose Statement(s) over and over again....? Plz tell me it's not just me... LOL

I substantially revised my outline for the last school I applied to (10 out of 12 had pretty similar requirements); of course this new revision was substantially better than what I'd sent to earlier schools. Funny how that works.

I've been opening up some in-progress Matlab code and tweaking it every time I get the urge to look back at my applications.

On a different note, Temple never opened my official transcript PDF. They do have my unofficial transcript. Should I email them about it?

4 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

On a different note, Temple never opened my official transcript PDF. They do have my unofficial transcript. Should I email them about it?

Did they require an official transcript PDF/does it still show as unreceived in the app portal? If so I'd definitely email.

11 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

I substantially revised my outline for the last school I applied to (10 out of 12 had pretty similar requirements); of course this new revision was substantially better than what I'd sent to earlier schools. Funny how that works.

I've been opening up some in-progress Matlab code and tweaking it every time I get the urge to look back at my applications.

Don't be afraid to email them about it! (politely of course) there are loads of applications and things can get lost in the pile

Can someone tell me what to expect during a preliminary/phone interview? I haven't gotten invited to one just yet but I'd like to know what type of questions I should start preparing for while I anxiously await for an invite. ?