Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, snorkles said:

Congrats! You're way ahead of the game. How was the housing search in Chicago? With the commute times and parking, I can't see how anywhere but Hyde Park would make sense. I'm looking to start the search in mid-July.

it was hard, but i luckily got hooked up with a friend of a friend looking too and she found us somewhere that i absolutely adore as well through a private owner. we'll actually be a ways north of campus area but still an easy commute via metra.  if you haven't checked out the maroon marketplace, that might be helpful if you're really eager to stay in hyde park. i had tried and it seemed most places didn't open up before july. 

i got the gig! 40 hrs a week starting tomorrow through september for a pop-up concept, and i explained my availability will of course change then but if we mutually work out there's potential room to stay on part time. i am SO excited.

Edited by jadeisokay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also very excited for the upcoming Fall too :) Actually getting more real as the days pass haha. I've gotten first signs of life from UC Irvine post-4/15. It won't be long til I get my institutional e-mail, housing assignment, and I just submitted my request to enroll for English seminars for the upcoming Fall. If everything falls through, I'll for sure know my schedule and living arrangements my mid-June or July.

Can't believe I can call myself an official graduate student. It's surreal.

Excited for all of you as the summer progresses. This really is only the beginning of a journey tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just signed my lease in New Haven! At the beginning of June, I'll be moving out to the Texas countryside for three months to perform Shakespeare plays all summer, and then I'll be making a very condensed move to the northeast, just in time for registration. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to register for all my classes and no one understands my wild excitement.  🤣 Especially when I looked at the bill and it kind of all washed over me what a financial investment is being made in me, my work, and my future.  It’s unreal.

Like @ArcaMajora I too can’t believe I actually get to call myself a graduate student.  I looked at my interview invite email from SMU again the other day and just cried and cried haha. How is this real life? What an incredible journey we’re all beginning ❤️

Edited by kendalldinniene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What classes are everyone taking in the Fall? In addition to the Intro to Graduate Studies that I am sure most of us have, I am taking a class on Eco-poetics and one called Global Chaucer which looks at international influences on Chaucer in the Middle Ages and his global significance since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Western and Postcolonial Marxist Cultural Theory, Literature and Philosophy from Locke to Kant, the Film department's required theory seminar (taught by Dudley Andrew!!) and one additional film course (the list isn't out yet). Although I should say that at Yale they have something called "Shopping" which is a two-week period at the start of the semester where you can sit in on classes before deciding whether to fully register. So who knows!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't gotten many new emails since April, so there's not much going on on my end... I have, however, probably memorized their website, graduate student handbook, and all the degree requirements for the next ~5 years, at this point... Yeah, I really need it to be August now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm taking Intro to Theory Across the Discipline of English, US Empire and Contemporary American Lit, and What Is Poetry. So excited about all of them honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

International students! How are you deciding which of your books you absolutely have to bring with you to grad school in the US? Too many of my books spark joy, and definitely not enough luggage space 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dilby said:

Although I should say that at Yale they have something called "Shopping" which is a two-week period at the start of the semester where you can sit in on classes before deciding whether to fully register. So who knows!

Harvard has the same, and it basically seems like an excuse to allow a ton of undergrads to show up for a week to classes they probably shouldn't be in lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure yet because we can't register for course until later in the summer, but right now I'm thinking about Contemporary Af-Am Fiction, Multiethnic American Fiction, and Feminist Theory. There's also a very interesting Black Lit and Culture course in the History department which would be great. Honestly, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to take all the courses I'm interested in and satisfy the requirements later or divide it equally. Is anyone else anxious about this? For instance, I have three requirements and there are some good courses I could take now that would satisfy them, but I also really want to take courses in my field. If I put them off, perhaps the required courses won't be as interesting (or they might be MORE interesting), and perhaps later there won't be any courses in my field (or there will be amazing ones and I'll have to pass to take another course). I'd love to get a 4 year course plan so I can make efficient choices.

2 hours ago, eddyrynes said:

International students! How are you deciding which of your books you absolutely have to bring with you to grad school in the US? Too many of my books spark joy, and definitely not enough luggage space 😭

Gonna wait until I know what books I'll need for my courses and take those, plus anything that seems like it might be useful for them. If there's room, I'll take some for general reading, especially if they're hard to find in libaries and such, or have notes I could use. I'm planning on just gradually taking more and more and asking people who come and visit to bring some when they come. Since there's still time until I have to work on thesis/comps, I can wait with my core texts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amusing that some of us are already set up for the fall semester & I just got an email today asking for my official transcripts so I can actually be a real Ph.D student now. lol. (They're busy, I know, it's totally fine. :P

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

I'm not sure yet because we can't register for course until later in the summer, but right now I'm thinking about Contemporary Af-Am Fiction, Multiethnic American Fiction, and Feminist Theory. There's also a very interesting Black Lit and Culture course in the History department which would be great. Honestly, I'm having a hard time deciding whether to take all the courses I'm interested in and satisfy the requirements later or divide it equally. Is anyone else anxious about this? For instance, I have three requirements and there are some good courses I could take now that would satisfy them, but I also really want to take courses in my field. If I put them off, perhaps the required courses won't be as interesting (or they might be MORE interesting), and perhaps later there won't be any courses in my field (or there will be amazing ones and I'll have to pass to take another course). I'd love to get a 4 year course plan so I can make efficient choices.

I'm thinking about this problem a lot too! Mostly about the pre-1800 and post-1800 reqs (I need two courses in each), coupled with the fact that I plan on pursuing two different certificates which both have different course requirements as well. Along with all of the regular required courses + stuff that just sounds interesting.... Basically I'm gonna need a lot of guidance from whomever my advisor is about which classes to take. 😂 

Me, trying to figure all this out in my brain:

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.thumb.jpg.0b3fb9f2c41493c26f963ea66e4895f4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

registration isn't for a while but i know i have a required intro to critical thought/theory course, whichever russian course i place into, then i need to poke a bit through the catalog and map out a happy point between a schedule that fits me and is stimulating/fulfilling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 8:40 AM, Bopie5 said:

I'm taking Intro to Theory Across the Discipline of English, US Empire and Contemporary American Lit, and What Is Poetry. So excited about all of them honestly.

What is Poetry??? That sounds like it’s going to be awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

What is Poetry??? That sounds like it’s going to be awesome!

RIGHT! I'm soooo excited about that one. Here's a bit of the course description from the Graduate program blog page:

"“I, too, dislike it.” That is how Marianne Moore begins “Poetry,” a poem that then attempts to define the thing it claims to dislike—a distaste that it assumes (“I, too, dislike it”) you share.
This course will, in some sense, follow Moore’s strategy: We’ll begin by confronting our resistance to poetry head-on, asking where such a distaste comes from, and then teasing out the implicit understandings (of poetry, language, our selves) that activate these forms of skepticism. Is there something called “poetic language” that is fundamentally different from “ordinary language”? Where does the idea that poetry, more than any other form of literature, is centrally concerned with (and representative of) consciousness come from? What kinds of poetry does such an idea allow, and what kinds of poetry does it marginalize or obscure? These are some of the questions that will animate our discussions."

It's interesting because I have zero distaste for poetry, but I'm soooo intrigued by the idea of teasing out the implicit assumptions we have about poetry. And Claudia Rankine is on the syllabus!!!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

RIGHT! I'm soooo excited about that one. Here's a bit of the course description from the Graduate program blog page:

"“I, too, dislike it.” That is how Marianne Moore begins “Poetry,” a poem that then attempts to define the thing it claims to dislike—a distaste that it assumes (“I, too, dislike it”) you share.
This course will, in some sense, follow Moore’s strategy: We’ll begin by confronting our resistance to poetry head-on, asking where such a distaste comes from, and then teasing out the implicit understandings (of poetry, language, our selves) that activate these forms of skepticism. Is there something called “poetic language” that is fundamentally different from “ordinary language”? Where does the idea that poetry, more than any other form of literature, is centrally concerned with (and representative of) consciousness come from? What kinds of poetry does such an idea allow, and what kinds of poetry does it marginalize or obscure? These are some of the questions that will animate our discussions."

It's interesting because I have zero distaste for poetry, but I'm soooo intrigued by the idea of teasing out the implicit assumptions we have about poetry. And Claudia Rankine is on the syllabus!!!
 

I have to admit, I’m pretty jealous I can’t take this course. The ideas brought up in that description are fascinating. I love the question about which forms of poetry are marginalized due to our ideas about what poetry is/should be. Enjoy every second!!! I know you will 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I have to admit, I’m pretty jealous I can’t take this course. The ideas brought up in that description are fascinating. I love the question about which forms of poetry are marginalized due to our ideas about what poetry is/should be. Enjoy every second!!! I know you will 😉

Wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world to do a syllabus/notes sharing deal on here, assuming that sort of thing is allowed (by universities, not sure if course contents are protected).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I have to admit, I’m pretty jealous I can’t take this course. The ideas brought up in that description are fascinating. I love the question about which forms of poetry are marginalized due to our ideas about what poetry is/should be. Enjoy every second!!! I know you will 😉

Right!? It's such a fascinating way to approach a poetry course, and I'm sure it's going to push me a lot as both a scholar of and writer of poetry! 

 

36 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world to do a syllabus/notes sharing deal on here, assuming that sort of thing is allowed (by universities, not sure if course contents are protected).

I LOVE this idea. If it's allowed, we should definitely look into it. And if explicit notes sharing isn't allowed, I'm sure it would be beneficial even to have each other's Required Texts lists? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.