1 hour ago, effietheant said:

I have friends who aren't on gradcafe who are also going through this process. One found out last week that she got into Maryland, though not 100% sure on her program though I think it's English. Another friend just told me he heard from Boston College today with an acceptance. 

So to add to these two implied rejections, I have my first official rejection from Rice. It is what it is.

Given I haven't gotten a WUSTL email from DGS, can I add it to my pile of implied rejections (or at least implied non-acceptances if I'm lucky enough to get a spot on the wait list)?

EDIT: Also, I've seen Cambridge rejections on results board for the MPhil. Does Cambridge not send them all out at once? I know they are on a "rolling admissions" system but I heard from some people that all that means for Cambridge is that they may contact you early if your application really wows them (don't know if that's true or not).

Edited by SomeoneAcceptMe

3 hours ago, kef5 said:

Do you guys think we're likely to hear from Berkeley this week? Perhaps the next?

I sure hope those UCs + Stanford get to work soon! The two I applied to are my top programs!

27 minutes ago, dilby said:

I sure hope those UCs + Stanford get to work soon! The two I applied to are my top programs!

Same. Please show me some love UCSB!

Is anyone else like concerned about where they'll be when they receive news on their decisions? I'm currently working weekends and am a bit concerned about getting any kind of news while I'm at my job. 

10 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

Is anyone else like concerned about where they'll be when they receive news on their decisions? I'm currently working weekends and am a bit concerned about getting any kind of news while I'm at my job. 

YES.  I have played out so many random scenarios in my mind. 

32 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

My therapist suggested I wait to open emails until I'm at home but I don't know if I can follow that advice. 

34 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

Both of the programs I have been accepted to called while I was at work. I wasn't able to answer at the moment, but seeing calls/voicemails from the cities where these schools are was amazing! I called back a few hours later in both cases. I have been trying not to open my emails at work. I am afraid that bad news might sour the rest of my day. 

35 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

I was at the vet when I found out about one program. I then had to try and have a very serious conversation with the vet who I’m sure thought something was wrong with me since I kept grinning. I was trying not to but I couldn’t help it. (the dog is okay, also)

48 minutes ago, stressbot3000 said:

My therapist suggested I wait to open emails until I'm at home but I don't know if I can follow that advice. 

So did mine. She also said I should only check once per day. I said, "get real ?". 

3 hours ago, mwils15 said:

With the time zone I'm in currently, I'm most likely to get the decision emails in the middle of the night at like 2 in the morning. It is a truly terrible burden when I'm trying to get myself to fall asleep and makes for mornings filled with stress and anticipation. Might be a blessing in disguise though because during most of my day I know there's no chance that an email will come in so I don't feel the need to constantly check.

Random but does anyone have any theoretical resources on the intersections of ecocrit and postcolonial crit, specifically focusing around:

--decentralizing an anthropocentric viewpoint

--relation of ecocrit to thinking around the Great Chain of Being/Shakespeare; and/or an ecocritical reading of how people in the Neoclassical period treated personal environments like gardens and landscapes

--relation of ecocrit to persons considered socially dead (following Orlando Patterson's thinking on people considered less than human by the rest of society and therefore excluded from social structures) and whether socially dead persons become a part of the "environment" or ecosystem so to speak

--ecocritical readings of The Tempest

--or other similar thinkings???

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Random but does anyone have any theoretical resources on the intersections of ecocrit and postcolonial crit, specifically focusing around:

--relation of ecocrit to thinking around the Great Chain of Being/Shakespeare; and/or an ecocritical reading of how people in the Neoclassical period treated personal environments like gardens and landscapes

--relation of ecocrit to persons considered socially dead (following Orlando Patterson's thinking on people considered less than human by the rest of society and therefore excluded from social structures) and whether socially dead persons become a part of the "environment" or ecosystem so to speak

Monique Allewaert's "Ariel's Ecology," or at least the introduction, is a resource for an ecocrit reading of The Tempest.

5 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Maybe check Rob Nixon’s Slov Violence: Environmentalism of the Poor; great read, and he definitely cites tons of other sources that are more focussed on intersection b/t ecocrit and postcolonial lit and theory. His book is probably more concerned with transnational perspectives and trajectories, but he has been doing postcolonial theory for a while, so you’ll get some of that, too.

Edited by j.alicea

6 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I think you'd have a lot of luck checking out critics of georgics and ecocriticism. There's a good amount of discussion similar to what you're getting at here, especially with the juxtaposition of tame, tended gardens to so-called natural gardens. In addition, I would look to animal studies scholarship for moving beyond anthropocentric viewpoints. In any case, I've listed quite a few potential sources below. Maybe one will be helpful. I also second the Nixon suggestion, it's a must-read. 

Eve Tuck & K. Wayne Yang, “Decolonization is Not a Metaphor”

Kyle White, “Indigenous Change Studies: Indigenizing Futures, Decolonizing the Anthropocene”

Nicholas Mirzoeff, “It’s Not the Anthropocene, It’s the White Supremacy Scene. Or, The Geological Color Line”

Heather Davis and Zoe Todd, “On the Importance of a Date or Decolonizing the Anthropocene”

Jason Moore, Anthropocene or Capitalocene? Nature, History, and the Crisis of Capitalism

David Shane Lowery, “Welcome to the Eugenicene”

Jeffrey S. Theis: Writing the Forest in Early Modern England

Timothy Sweet, American Georgics

Margaret Ronda, “Work and Wait Unwearying: Dunbar’s Georgics”

Steven Mentz, “After Sustainability” (a favorite of mine)

Robert Bullard, Dumping in Dixie

Eileen Maura McGurty, “From NIMBY to Civil Rights: The Origins of the EJ Movement”

Grober, Ulrich: Sustainability: A Cultural History

Jeremy Caradonna, Sustainability: A History

Ursula Heise, Imagining Extinction 

Edited by Sav

Does anyone else have nightmares about getting accepted to school and then showing up in the Fall and they say they've rescinded their offer? I had one about Princeton last night. Exhausting. ?

7 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Haven't read it yet but Kathryn Yusoff's new book A Million Black Anthropocenes or None looks really cool. Also Geontologies by Elizabeth Povinelli.

Edited by sad_diamond