Jump to content
Leo9

2018-2019 Application Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I haven't been able to find Ohio State overall acceptance rates, it seems like those aren't published. Northwestern hovers around 10% each year, and it seems that maybe about 20-30% of those are reported on gradcafe. 

Paging @BFB: would you be willing to disclose a ballpark number of how many PhD students you guys admit each year?  For science?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IcedCovfefe said:

Paging @BFB: would you be willing to disclose a ballpark number of how many PhD students you guys admit each year?  For science?

At the same time, even though I am so so curious, I sort of question what exactly the value of admissions rates are. My money is on Ohio State being somewhat higher than similar-ranked schools, because IIRC they don't waitlist and they don't reject based on "I think this kid will end up at Harvard." 

 

Unfortunately, there are always caveats that make these simple admission rates statistics impossible to compare to each other: 

1. The waitlist: Some schools rely heavily on the waitlist, others, like Ohio State, don't use the waitlist at all. Being waitlist heavy will mean you can have a smaller acceptance rate, even though you'll substantively end up with the exact same kind of class as a school with a much higher acceptance rate that doesn't abuse the waitlist.

2. Yield protection. In undergrad we may have heard of the term "Tufts syndrome," where very-good-but-not-the-best schools sometimes preemptively waitlist or reject top-tier applicants that they think will end up elsewhere. I've heard of so many people (including a professor of mine) who got into top 10s and top 15s but got rejected from mid-ranked (30-60) schools. Maybe the fit between the school and the people are bad, or maybe they figure it's not worth competing with Harvard. Similar to the waitlist problem. 

3. Popular schools that get more "immediate no" applicants. I'm talking the Harvard, Yale, schools near DC, and probably big sports schools like Michigan. These have big names and are popular places for people who probably have no business applying to a poli sci phd like to apply to (we're talking the "what's APSR?" and "I want to be president" types). This makes comparisons to schools like Rochester pretty hard, because very few people who know nothing about academic political science are going to apply to Rochester. 

 

There's some old data out there that compares GRE schools of cohorts among schools, and if we're looking at an easy selectivity-type ranking, that's probably the best thing to use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pillcopata said:

Definitely ~not~ thinking about how Berkeley/Duke/NYU/Princeton/UCDavis/UCSD could start reaching out at any moment. Anyone else not thinking about this at 8:43 a.m.?

Same ughhhhhhh. Mine of them came at the end of the week last year but honestly who knows when things are exactly coming at this point AAAAHHH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just expect Boston University and Boston College now. I love both of them a lot, and according to last year, they released the results in the last week. I wish though I had applied for more programs in T10-T20 such as Princeton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know about OSU funding package? I am accepted to its CP program and really grateful about it. But, I’m still very worried and anxiously waiting for other results, as I know nothing about the funding. If anyone have info on this, please share. (like the general amount of funding)

Edited by PolSci_2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PolSci_2020 said:

Does anyone know about OSU funding package? I am accepted to its CP program and really grateful about it. But, I’m still very worried and anxiously waiting for other results, as I know nothing about the funding. If anyone have info on this, please share. (like the general amount of funding)

I believe the DGS had said that the funding info will come out in late February, no idea about the amount. You should check PhD stipends, they have some info on it. I would take the results from that website as a general amount however, as it obviously changes from year to year and I am not sure if OSU has uniformed funding offers or if it is unique for each student. 

http://www.phdstipends.com/results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dwar said:

I believe the DGS had said that the funding info will come out in late February, no idea about the amount. You should check PhD stipends, they have some info on it. I would take the results from that website as a general amount however, as it obviously changes from year to year and I am not sure if OSU has uniformed funding offers or if it is unique for each student. 

http://www.phdstipends.com/results

Yes, I heard from POI that the funding info will come out in Feb. Thanks for the link!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PolSci_2020 said:

Yes, I heard from POI that the funding info will come out in Feb. Thanks for the link!

Sure thing!

I hope its good news when the funding info does come out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me: admission rates are really not comparable to each other and are not a worthwhile statistic 

Also me: hey everyone I found some cool data on Michigan's admit and yield rates https://tableau.dsc.umich.edu/t/UM-Public/views/RackhamDoctoralProgramStatistics/ProgramStatistics?:embed=y&:showAppBanner=false&:showShareOptions=true&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no&FOSDParameter=All+Rackham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Me: admission rates are really not comparable to each other and are not a worthwhile statistic 

Also me: hey everyone I found some cool data on Michigan's admit and yield rates https://tableau.dsc.umich.edu/t/UM-Public/views/RackhamDoctoralProgramStatistics/ProgramStatistics?:embed=y&:showAppBanner=false&:showShareOptions=true&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no&FOSDParameter=All+Rackham

Lol, life is full of tasty contradictions.

I'll add to the U of M admission statistic with a Northwestern one and their 8.4% acceptance rate. 

https://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documents/program-statistics/P40PH_adm_enr.pdf

https://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/academics/phd-program-statistics.html#P

 

Edited by Dwar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 6:56 AM, mliliu said:

Same here. But I sent an email to the admission office. So let's see what they say. But from last year's posts, I feel like later notifications tend to be rejections.

Have you heard anything back yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wait is starting to get me a bit.. I’m assuming Northwestern is a rejection at this point, but UCSD should hopefully be releasing decisions soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all. Saw the recent conversation about admission stats for OSU. Statistics wise, Princeton usually gets 500+ applications in a given year and admits ~40 people across 6 subfields (IR, CP, AP, Theory, Methods, Public Law) for an admission rate of 8% (less during years when it's higher). They aim for a cohort of 20ish but some are smaller (16) and some are larger (27) depending on the year. I suspect Harvard is similar, though they can have cohorts of 30. Just thought I'd pop this up here for perspective.

https://www.princeton.edu/politics/graduate/prospective/faqs/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not writing off Northwestern yet - I think there are more acceptances to go out and crossing my fingers it happens soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also - Northwestern is closed through Thursday due to extreme cold temps.  

"Provost Jonathan Holloway, President Morton Schapiro and Craig Johnson, the vice president for business and finance, said the University will continue operating “essential services,” including University Police, facilities management and dining halls, while the Evanston and Chicago campuses are closed. The closure will take place from Tuesday at 8 p.m. through noon on Thursday."

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/01/28/campus/downright-scary-northwestern-closes-campuses-ahead-of-extreme-weather/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, taraeh said:

Also - Northwestern is closed through Thursday due to extreme cold temps.  

"Provost Jonathan Holloway, President Morton Schapiro and Craig Johnson, the vice president for business and finance, said the University will continue operating “essential services,” including University Police, facilities management and dining halls, while the Evanston and Chicago campuses are closed. The closure will take place from Tuesday at 8 p.m. through noon on Thursday."

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/01/28/campus/downright-scary-northwestern-closes-campuses-ahead-of-extreme-weather/

Yaaaaaaa, cold is sweeping through the Great Lakes region. Michigan is a frozen hell-scape.

My school just canceled classes for tomorrow, guess the -30 windchill put it over the edge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.