Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

1 minute ago, gillis_55 said:

Received a rejection for McGill Clinical CGS-M just now. Apparently this is the day for rejections ? I didn't interview so I wouldn't have been able to accept it anyhow, but would've been nice to put on the CV

They announce CGS-M results prior to the April 1 deadline?! 

Just now, Mickey26 said:

They announce CGS-M results prior to the April 1 deadline?! 

No I don't think so - this email just said that they weren't forwarding my application to be considered at the departmental level. I assume the final decisions are still issued on April 1st. 

Guest notsethrogen
2 hours ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

To those waiting to hear from McGill Counselling PhD, apparently acceptances were sent out yesterday (I know of 3 of my colleagues who received official acceptance offers).

Do you know anything about McGill's experimental program?

Not clinical related, but does anybody know anything about U of Alberta’s counselling (MEd) program? I haven’t heard a peep which is surprising since Calgary’s counselling psych. offers have all been sent out. 

5 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

No I don't think so - this email just said that they weren't forwarding my application to be considered at the departmental level. I assume the final decisions are still issued on April 1st. 

I wonder if this timeline is university specific. Probably is, huh? As long as the final result is there by April 1. But good to know they might not leave you hanging once they know you're out of the competition. 

13 minutes ago, nerdy_metalhead said:

I wonder if this timeline is university specific. Probably is, huh? As long as the final result is there by April 1. But good to know they might not leave you hanging once they know you're out of the competition. 

I have never heard of a school telling candidates who they advance because ultimately the federal department makes the final rank on April 1st. But that is great if they did to give you a little more insight!

Add me to the list of those rejected from Queen's. I'm heartbroken as this was my first choice :( I interviewed in January, attended the open house this past weekend, and had a super positive reception from my professor and several other members of the program. My application was even promoted to acceptance by my professor based off of my credentials and work experience, but because I'm an American and there are super strict rules on international students in Ontario, there was no funding available for me. Just when I thought I could escape the turbulence of the US and move on to a sexuality research haven...

19 hours ago, clinicalpsyapplicant said:

Have people been waitlisted/accepted to the counseling and clinical psychology program at OISE?

I just spoke to the coordinator of the program and he said that results have not been sent out yet. Good luck!!

1 hour ago, gillis_55 said:

Received a rejection for McGill Clinical CGS-M just now. Apparently this is the day for rejections ? I didn't interview so I wouldn't have been able to accept it anyhow, but would've been nice to put on the CV

I guess I'll take no news as good news... I hope so anyway since McGill is my top choice ?

37 minutes ago, Mickey_ said:

I just spoke to the coordinator of the program and he said that results have not been sent out yet. Good luck!!

(For OISE CCP) I do know that at least 1 acceptance has been sent out (not to me). Feel free to message me for the POI.

Just heard from the secretary at York who said that faculty are making decisions this week and I will know my status by Friday. Not that it will matter since I already have accepted another offer and know that one of the POIs at York has extended an offer that was accepted and the others are not taking students. BUT maybe this info will be helpful to others still waiting to hear!

4 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

Anyone hear form McGill clinical post-interview?

I just did, from my POI. He took another student who had more experience with his lab’s research tools (optogenetics, calcium imaging etc). So I guess that’s that for me lol

To those that applied to Lakehead - I received an email from the program coordinator stating that they are still in the process of making admission decisions. Lakehead doesn't have a formal interview process so if you haven't heard you might still be under consideration. If anyone has specific questions about this program, I'd be happy to answer. Good luck to those still waiting to hear! 

28 minutes ago, ZingyNeuron said:

I just did, from my POI. He took another student who had more experience with his lab’s research tools (optogenetics, calcium imaging etc). So I guess that’s that for me lol

Ugh I’m so sorry :( 

Guest notsethrogen
2 hours ago, disney said:

To those that applied to Lakehead - I received an email from the program coordinator stating that they are still in the process of making admission decisions. Lakehead doesn't have a formal interview process so if you haven't heard you might still be under consideration. If anyone has specific questions about this program, I'd be happy to answer. Good luck to those still waiting to hear! 

Seems like there is significant variation at Lakehead.  My peer got accepted there on Feb. 14.

I wanna get CGS-M just so I can rub it in the faces of the schools I got rejected at while also crying because they still won't take me (3/3 LOL--wish I could have moved one of my choices over to the one school I actually have a chance at). 

Guest notsethrogen
48 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Just checked UOZone and got “refused” LOL, couldn’t even spare me the rejection email ? Congrats to all who were accepted!!

Same, but whatever man... who wants to live in a city that has a hockey team as bad as the Ottawa Senators anyway?

1 hour ago, psych12344 said:

Has anyone heard of an MA, MEd or MSc in counselling psych be accepted to a PhD in clinical psych? 

Yup! It definitely can happen if you have a master's thesis that is clinically related; although it is rare I would say. 

I've been talking to some student who were accepted directly into PhD , and a couple of them came from counselling. I myself am coming from an MSc in Psychiatry and am going directly into PhD for clinical. The one stipulation is that there has to be spots available for PhD which you can't always bank on-- for example, in my case, a PhD student left the clinical program for personal reasons so a spot opened up; otherwise they may reserve all PhD spots for current clinical students at the master's level). 

If you are admitted directly into PhD the way it works is you may be spared some electives if you have graduate level courses from your masters, but you will be with the MA1 cohort doing all the core courses (it's possible some of them will overlap with counselling and you will be exempt). As such, you'll likely do 5 years for your PhD instead of 4 as you're catching up (although some crazy cats manage in less)-- ultimately you're still saving time and do not have to redo a master's thesis. 

It definitely varies by school in terms of their willingness but what I'm describing is the case for a couple of schools I was accepted to (one in Toronto and one in Montreal). 

Hope that helps! Feel free to message me

Edited by psychpun