Jump to content

2019 Acceptances


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

that's me!! just made an account to respond to this because i'm still so floored. my focus is american studies/poetics and specifically i'm interested in tracking linguistic change in radical/avant grade poetry movements! i'm also a comp instructor so i want to explore how white language privilege affects the creative writing workshop classroom, which is something i expressed in my SOP.

let me just say i am completely floored by this acceptance. this is the main school i truly did not expect to hear from, and the rejection from the MFA 4 years ago still hurts, so this is some real vindication. 

Congrats!!!  Also your name made me chortle, so thank you for that ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@snorkles do you already have an MA? The only reason ask is because their MA and PhD programs are integrated. Because their website instructs those with just a BA to indicate the MA as their degree choice, I’m wondering if the adcomm delineates between those coming straight from undergrad and those who have completed master’s degrees when notifying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

@snorkles do you already have an MA? The only reason ask is because their MA and PhD programs are integrated. Because their website instructs those with just a BA to indicate the MA as their degree choice, I’m wondering if the adcomm delineates between those coming straight from undergrad and those who have completed master’s degrees when notifying.

No MA for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fortschritt22 said:

Just got my acceptance letter to Indiana and I'm shaking. I almost didn't apply because they required the subject test. So incredibly grateful. 

Congrats! Aha, I forgot they required the subject exam. My score was AWFUL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, beirut said:

Hi! I’m a lurker but just wanted to say that I’m also in at Illinois for the PhD! I’m so so excited!

YAy! Hi! I am not sure I will be able to make that offical visit time unfortunately, but I hope to visit sometime in March. What is your field?

Also, do you know if everyone receives a first year fellowship? It seems a little unceremonious so I assume it might be something other people get as well.

Congrats!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Anyone want to claim the Colorado Boulder acceptance and give a little more info on the cohort size bit you included on the Results Board?  Congratulations, by the way! :)

That was me! I’m excited— thanks. They said they took 4 funded PhDs this year, not sure about the rest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

YAy! Hi! I am not sure I will be able to make that offical visit time unfortunately, but I hope to visit sometime in March. What is your field?

Also, do you know if everyone receives a first year fellowship? It seems a little unceremonious so I assume it might be something other people get as well.

Congrats!!!

I’m not sure about making that visit time either, but I’ll definitely schedule something in March if I can! My focus period is 20th-century American with an emphasis in African American literature and Southern studies.

I was wondering the same thing about the fellowship—I got it too, and also got the vibe that it was pretty common. Maybe it’s their standard offer? Either way, I’m absolutely ecstatic!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, beirut said:

 

I was wondering the same thing about the fellowship—I got it too, and also got the vibe that it was pretty common. Maybe it’s their standard offer? Either way, I’m absolutely ecstatic!!

Absolutely! That seems like an extremely livable stipend especially with the increase after year one. Very generous!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, beirut said:

I’m not sure about making that visit time either, but I’ll definitely schedule something in March if I can! My focus period is 20th-century American with an emphasis in African American literature and Southern studies.

I was wondering the same thing about the fellowship—I got it too, and also got the vibe that it was pretty common. Maybe it’s their standard offer? Either way, I’m absolutely ecstatic!!

The standard offer from Illinois is a fellowship plus teaching one course per semester during the first year. The stipend increase during the second year is in exchange for teaching two courses per semester. I'm not sure if teaching two courses is guaranteed. An enhanced offer includes an increased stipend plus no teaching for up to 3 years. I think there's usually a nomination process for the latter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

Absolutely! That seems like an extremely livable stipend especially with the increase after year one. Very generous!

One of my mentors went there and she really encouraged me to look at Midwest schools for great funding packages. She thought exactly the same!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

Lmao 4?! Glad I can add another school to my implied rejection list. At least Boulder wasn’t a top choice for me!

Well, they did say “fully funded” so there’s still hope for partial funding maybe? Online portal is updated I think! 

Update: saw your other post, congrats on being waitlisted! I’ll let you know as soon as I decide on a program if I don’t accept the spot. 

Edited by swarthmawr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

Lmao 4?! Glad I can add another school to my implied rejection list. At least Boulder wasn’t a top choice for me!

I think it's also good to note that smaller cohorts are not uncommon. Graduate Programs are becoming increasingly sensitive to the market and most are attempting to provide their graduates with as many resources as they can. Chicago and Johns Hopkins were traditionally huge programs with cohorts of 20+. In recent years, Johns Hopkins has chosen to accept between 0 and 6 candidates for each cohort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.