2019 Acceptances

11 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

OOF good thing I already had zero expectation of getting inĀ ?

Edit: Just reread the e-mail that I received in an earlier year. 1-5 is the range that I was given on the number of applicants they accept!

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Edit: Just reread the e-mail that I received in an earlier year. 1-5 is the range that I was given on the number of applicants they accept!

Makes sense considering with the way they fund it's such an astronomical amount of $ over the lifetime time of the cohort.Ā  Good information to know though, especially for future cycles!

5 hours ago, mxiongturquoise said:

Congrats!Ā  I know I should not pin much hope on this top dream program when I did not receive the interview.Ā  Having completed my MA at Chicago and taken tons of classes in Comp Lit, I think it'd be ideal to do scholarly work as well as live there.Ā  Hope you'll say yes ;)

Thank you! It's nice to have an insider's knowledge of the Department:) I still waiting on other schools but there's a big chance that I would choose Chicago!

Hope you the best of luck with your application:)

1 hour ago, dilby said:

A dear friend of mine was just admitted to Johns Hopkins! He's an early modernist focusing on melancholyĀ and performance criticism, and has written quite a lot on metatheatre. Hope this info helps you all!

Congrats to your friend!

56 minutes ago, briwriteshere said:

Accepted at Johns Hopkins and I am freaking out!!!!Ā ?

Ā 

You're slaying this app cycle!

9 hours ago, tacocat211 said:

Just realized there was a Penn. State acceptance on the board from Feb. 1? Anyone?? I thought Penn. State was a much later decision. Anyone claim this? Or has anyone else heard anything? or is this a rogue..

Ā 

9 hours ago, The Wordsworthian said:

I saw that too and posted here asking if anyone would claim it, but no one did. Ā I have since been checking my application portal frequently, but nothing has changed other than a pending status. Ā 

Hello! I'm the Penn State acceptance from Feb 5 and a long-timeĀ lurker. I was worried when I saw the Feb 1 acceptance and cast Penn State off as an implied rejection.Ā Checked the portal before and after I received notice of the acceptance (via phone call then an official email) and didn't note any changes. Perhaps they'reĀ informing candidates one-by-one as they secure funding/ POIs are reaching out to candidates in their own time?

I really was quite down on myself after the speculated rejection from Penn State and theĀ (now confirmed) rejection from Stanford, but I guess all that worrying had absolutely no influence over either outcome so the melodrama I subjected my friends to this weekend seems silly now.

Can confirm that Chicago has probably made most of its decisions. I just got an informal email from a POI telling me about this fellowship they're offering me and I confusedly asked whether that meant I was accepted! She said yes and added that she was surprised that the administrative gears were turning so slowly.

Anyway, I'm beyond excited and hope everyone will be released from this agony soon!!

9 minutes ago, FiguresIII said:

Can confirm that Chicago has probably made most of its decisions. I just got an informal email from a POI telling me about this fellowship they're offering me and I confusedly asked whether that meant I was accepted! She said yes and added that she was surprised that the administrative gears were turning so slowly.

Anyway, I'm beyond excited and hope everyone will be released from this agony soon!!

Congrats!!! That is so exciting!

13 hours ago, simile said:

Ā 

Hello! I'm the Penn State acceptance from Feb 5 and a long-timeĀ lurker. I was worried when I saw the Feb 1 acceptance and cast Penn State off as an implied rejection.Ā Checked the portal before and after I received notice of the acceptance (via phone call then an official email) and didn't note any changes. Perhaps they'reĀ informing candidates one-by-one as they secure funding/ POIs are reaching out to candidates in their own time?

I really was quite down on myself after the speculated rejection from Penn State and theĀ (now confirmed) rejection from Stanford, but I guess all that worrying had absolutely no influence over either outcome so the melodrama I subjected my friends to this weekend seems silly now.

Hi! First off, congratulations! I'm glad to hear that Penn is sending stuff out. I was curious about your concentration/area of interest?

I noticed someone asking about UNC Greensboro's program on the Results page so figured I would go ahead and post. I was accepted to their English PhD program on Fri. 2/1 via an email from the DGS. The email included info about funding, and I've since had a follow-up call with the DGS. I'm focusing on 20th and 21st century American lit and ecocriticism/environmental lit.Ā 

This is my first (and I'm going to assume only) acceptance, and it came after 4 rejections and several more implied rejections. I am very excited!Ā 

Has anyone else gotten an offer from UNC Greensboro? Would love to chat if so.Ā 

7 minutes ago, CatBowl said:

I noticed someone asking about UNC Greensboro's program on the Results page so figured I would go ahead and post. I was accepted to their English PhD program on Fri. 2/1 via an email from the DGS. The email included info about funding, and I've since had a follow-up call with the DGS. I'm focusing on 20th and 21st century American lit and ecocriticism/environmental lit.Ā 

This is my first (and I'm going to assume only) acceptance, and it came after 4 rejections and several more implied rejections. I am very excited!Ā 

Has anyone else gotten an offer from UNC Greensboro? Would love to chat if so.Ā 

I have! Iā€™m focusing on 20th century American lit with an emphasis in southern studies and African American literature. Was very excited about the acceptance as well!

@CatBowlĀ congrats to you too!! I applied to 10 programs total. Iā€™ve been accepted to UNCG and Illinois so far andĀ gottenĀ implied rejections from Colorado and Chicago, but thereā€™sĀ still such a long way to go waiting for the other schoolsā€”UGH.Ā 

I genuinely have no idea whether or not Iā€™ll end up at UNCG. I applied there specifically because of Scott Romine, so working with him would definitely be hard to pass up. But Illinois is a really great school and I have no idea if Iā€™ll get in somewhere else (Iā€™ve also applied to Michigan, Penn, Kansas, LSU, Florida State, and Florida), so Iā€™m already overwhelmed. Iā€™m totally with you on wishing I could just have all the info and be able to decide! But Iā€™ll definitely be visiting UNCG at some pointā€”maybe even this month if I can swing it!

@tacocat211Ā @The WordsworthianĀ Thank you!Ā I applied to the English PhD program fresh out of undergrad as an Early Modernist with particular interest in Milton :)

Still waiting on a few more decisions butĀ I'm extremely thankful to have heard back from Penn State relatively (abnormally?) early, especially asĀ I feel I may haveĀ overreached/ am out of my depth given the number of well-read, accomplished, and lovelyĀ applicantsĀ this cycle.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:18 PM, beirut said:

@CatBowlĀ congrats to you too!! I applied to 10 programs total. Iā€™ve been accepted to UNCG and Illinois so far andĀ gottenĀ implied rejections from Colorado and Chicago, but thereā€™sĀ still such a long way to go waiting for the other schoolsā€”UGH.Ā 

Thanks, and congrats on your Illinois acceptance too! I applied to UNCG specifically for Karen Kilcup so I feel the same way. I also think Greensboro may be a perfect size for me, so I keep finding myself daydreaming about moving there. I think I will probably visit too, just to make sure it is the right fit. I've gotten implied rejections from Emory, Vanderbilt, and CU Boulder, and official rejections from Duke, UT Austin, and Notre Dame (whew ā€“ haven't posted that anywhere yet). Hopefully we will hear back from everyone by the end of Feb so we have time to visit/make a decision. Good luck to you, and if you think about it, let me know where you end up deciding!Ā 

OK I know IĀ already got accepted into the school but IĀ just got an email from one of the Big Names that I mentioned as a POI & I just needed to tell the internetĀ for a second bcĀ I might actually pass out tbhĀ