SSHRC Doctoral 2019-2020

displaynamesarehard

6 minutes ago, socphd20 said:

Did your notification mention the number of applications and awards? 

Yes, same information as the other person earlier in the thread. Looks like they funded 40%ish of the applicants this year, which is a lot. 

Edited by polsciguy88

1 minute ago, gradstudentka said:

Checked the portal this morning after I saw people posting here that it was updated with no email. Got the SSHRC and in total shock!!! The letter was posted in my extranet account at 10AM (and I got instructions for how to log in yesterday at around 2). I'm a direct applicant studying in the U.S, committee 2 (I think). I was rejected last year but think the difference this year was that I had more fellowships under my belt and a much tighter proposal. Also, I noticed on their award results website that students rarely get it in their second years of the PhD, but more often in the 1 or 3rd year. This makes sense because by the 1 year they expect less grounded "here's what I'm doing and how I'll do it," and by the 3rd year, you tend to have that. Whereas the 2nd year is a sort of floating year when your project is shaky but you've been studying for a while...

Anyways, congratulations to those who got it, and good luck to everyone else! This is a huge weight off, even though it amounts to roughly one year of funding the U.S. after the exchange rate/cost of living is factored in. Probably will be in shock for the next few days :) 

Congratulations!

Checked the portal this morning after I saw people posting here that it was updated with no email. Got the SSHRC and in total shock!!! The letter was posted in my extranet account at 10AM (and I got instructions for how to log in yesterday at around 2). I'm a direct applicant studying in the U.S, committee 2 (I think). I was rejected last year but think the difference this year was that I had more fellowships under my belt and a much tighter proposal. Also, I noticed on their award results website that students rarely get it in their second years of the PhD, but more often in the 1 or 3rd year. This makes sense because by the 1 year they expect less grounded "here's what I'm doing and how I'll do it," and by the 3rd year, you tend to have that. Whereas the 2nd year is a sort of floating year when your project is shaky but you've been studying for a while...

Anyways, congratulations to those who got it, and good luck to everyone else! This is a huge weight off, even though it amounts to roughly one year of funding the U.S. after the exchange rate/cost of living is factored in. Probably will be in shock for the next few days :) 

My US institution matches the difference between the normal stipend and external funding as long as it meets a certain threshold. You should see if yours does the same.

3 minutes ago, Sco said:

It lets me generate a password with my email address, but is telling me that access is denied.

Sigh. Going to go to Canadian Tire and pick up a battery charger. Maybe start sanding rails soon. I should be writing but if I stay near my computer I keep checking emails and here ?

Interesting, I should definitely look into that @polysciguy88. I think they recommend banking your current fellowship/putting it on hold. But this would be much better...also, in terms of how many were awarded, here's what my letter said: "Among the 2584 applications reviewed by selection committees, SSHRC is able to offer 1056 awards, given the funds available. Your score in the competition was 15.40/ 20." 

Edited by gradstudentka

I think it's also because the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS-D favors people who apply going into year 2.

4 minutes ago, gradstudentka said:

Congratulations!!!!!!

Do you folks think there are any concerns with attempting to sign in before being assigned an account by email? I'm committee 5, and seeing some presumable committee 5 winners here post is finally starting to make me a bit anxious! Also the fact that it's Thursday afternoon and still no sign-in email is making me feel like some of us won't hear until late Friday.

Just now, ButterTurtle said:

I am so happy for those who have received a SSHRC! A serious accomplishment. 

But I also can't help but feel like every person who has heard has gotten it, thus giving me this deep sinking feeling :( No login info still (Sask).

Some people who have been updated didn't get it so I wouldn't worry.

But I also can't help but feel like every person who has heard has gotten it, thus giving me this deep sinking feeling :( No login info still (Sask).

I don't think that is the case. Someone on this thread said they had a login yesterday and it did not automatically mean acceptance.

There appears to be a VAST majority who has not gotten a login yet. It appears that it is simply like this because results are being staggered in waves to avoid system overload.

I'm also Sask, and neither me nor my friend (also Sask) have gotten log in info, either. We're both English, committee 1 - Maybe it is going by application number and application number has something to do with area?? Ugh *grasps at straws*. 

Just now, bluesnow said:

I don't think that is the case. Someone on this thread said they had a login yesterday and it did not automatically mean acceptance.

There appears to be a VAST majority who has not gotten a login yet. It appears that it is simply like this because results are being staggered in waves to avoid system overload.

yeah I wouldnt worry yet, my partner won a vanier, so one would reasonabley expect him to win a SSHRC (tho things do happen?) and he hasnt received any emails yet

Just now, bluesnow said:

Just now, socisocisoci said:

yeah I wouldnt worry yet, my partner won a vanier, so one would reasonabley expect him to win a SSHRC (tho things do happen?) and he hasnt received any emails yet

Good points. Also some people who got log in info and didn't receive one might not feel like sharing (and fair enough, I'll prob be too busy moping to share my rejection straight away, haha).

Also in case it helps anyone: last four digits of my application number are in the 28s, my friend is close to that number (also hasn't heard). Probably is not a help, but... I don't know. Any info feels relevant to me right now LOL. 

I think those of us still waiting are just the very unlucky ones that happen to fall in the second half of these waves of results? It's so hard not to be discouraged but we've waited this long together already!

6 minutes ago, ButterTurtle said:

Also there's some selection bias as people who got it are more likely to come back here than people who didn't get it :)

Just now, sjalava said:

I think those of us still waiting are just the very unlucky ones that happen to fall in the second half of these waves of results? It's so hard not to be discouraged but we've waited this long together already!

my last four numbers are in the 30's - and this makes some sense?

Just now, Threesisters said:

my last four numbers are in the 30's - and this makes some sense?

OH - so we have confirmed 28s, 29s, and 30s who have no info yet. Maybe we've found the system?!? ?

12 minutes ago, elodie said:

Do you folks think there are any concerns with attempting to sign in before being assigned an account by email? I'm committee 5, and seeing some presumable committee 5 winners here post is finally starting to make me a bit anxious! Also the fact that it's Thursday afternoon and still no sign-in email is making me feel like some of us won't hear until late Friday.

I'm in committee 5 and I received sign-in information yesterday, but still no results