2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants

Leafway

4 minutes ago, J-Shot said:

For anyone looking for a backup plan - McMaster just created a new MSc Psychotherapy program through the faculty of health sciences which looks excellent and are still accepting applicants until next week.  Since it is the first year there will probably be fewer applicants:

https://psychotherapy.mcmaster.ca/

Thought I would share just in case...

Any idea when the deadline for this is? It says applications will open in January 2020 but I can't see a deadline... maybe I haven't looked hard enough

4 hours ago, PSY20 said:

Any idea when the deadline for this is? It says applications will open in January 2020 but I can't see a deadline... maybe I haven't looked hard enough

I think I saw that the deadline was at the end of next week.  But I would email to make sure:

psychoth@mcmaster.ca

Good luck!

4 hours ago, J-Shot said:

For anyone looking for a backup plan - McMaster just created a new MSc Psychotherapy program through the faculty of health sciences which looks excellent and are still accepting applicants until next week.  Since it is the first year there will probably be fewer applicants:

https://psychotherapy.mcmaster.ca/

Thought I would share just in case...

Hey guys! I really know nothing about what a psychotherapist job entails. I imagine it to be similar to a clinical psychologist in many ways but was wondering what some key differences are? 
It’s odd this has never been brought to my attention, I don’t know anyone who is a psychotherapist or who wanted to go to school to become one. Any info would be great ?

3 hours ago, Aspiring_Grey_Area said:

UBC rejections just went out 

Sorry for the bland post - I was kind of disappointed and didn't think straight when writing this. I received a generic template email along the lines of "we regret to inform you that your application was unsuccessful....best of luck in your endeavours etc etc.". This was for UBC-V. Msg me for POI initials if you want. 

1 hour ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Hey guys! I really know nothing about what a psychotherapist job entails. I imagine it to be similar to a clinical psychologist in many ways but was wondering what some key differences are? 
It’s odd this has never been brought to my attention, I don’t know anyone who is a psychotherapist or who wanted to go to school to become one. Any info would be great ?

They play mostly a therapist role in a sense. They can do similar talk therapies such as CBT. They however do not diagnose and or assess and primarily would in private practice. 

2 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

Hello.

I am a registered psychotherapist (qualifying). Psychotherapists basically provide therapy. However, we are not qualified to provide diagnoses. And if we do assessments/diagnostic interviews we have to be supervised by a psychologist. Also most psychotherapists have a master's degree.

OISE has a Master of Education in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy that provide its graduates with the minimum requirements to register with CRPO (College of Registered Psychotherapists). I wasn't aware McMaster's had a new program and that's super cool! I think Guelph also has a Family/Marriage Counselling Master's degree as well. 

1 hour ago, Aspiring_Grey_Area said:

Sorry for the bland post - I was kind of disappointed and didn't think straight when writing this. I received a generic template email along the lines of "we regret to inform you that your application was unsuccessful....best of luck in your endeavours etc etc.". This was for UBC-V. Msg me for POI initials if you want. 

Sorry you received disappointing news ❤️ But based on your signature, you have 8 other chances, I hope something goes well for you!

4 hours ago, Aspiring_Grey_Area said:

I'm sorry :(

This is my second time applying to UBC, but I didn't (yet) get this email. I didn't get the chance to interview so I guess it's not the best of news either. 

Maybe they straight up forgot about me this year lol

Hang in there! One way or another we'll get through this application season.

Should I follow up after two weeks of waiting after two Skype interviews? I had two Skype interviews with my POI at Queens, the second of which was two weeks ago now. She said that the next step would be an interview with the departmental committee, and that those interviews would likely be held some time at the beginning of February. I haven't heard anything at all yet, either from her or the committee, so I'm assuming probably I was rejected, but wouldn't you think that after two Skype calls she would've just told me over email herself by now? To make matters more confusing, I've been emailing back and forth with one of her grad students, who has no idea what is going on - she didn't even know the departmental interview was a thing. Any suggestions? Should I email my POI for an update?

17 minutes ago, teenygreeny said:

Should I follow up after two weeks of waiting after two Skype interviews? I had two Skype interviews with my POI at Queens, the second of which was two weeks ago now. She said that the next step would be an interview with the departmental committee, and that those interviews would likely be held some time at the beginning of February. I haven't heard anything at all yet, either from her or the committee, so I'm assuming probably I was rejected, but wouldn't you think that after two Skype calls she would've just told me over email herself by now? To make matters more confusing, I've been emailing back and forth with one of her grad students, who has no idea what is going on - she didn't even know the departmental interview was a thing. Any suggestions? Should I email my POI for an update?

The clinical committee interview is something that they just started doing this cycle. I just received an email a couple of minutes ago for the clinical committee interview and they gave me two 20 min slots to choose from. I assuming that since the interview involves two clinical faculty, they are sending out the invites in waves given that the faculty probably have limited availability that match with one another. It doesn't hurt to ask but I would maybe give it a few more days

9 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

This is my second time applying to UBC, but I didn't (yet) get this email. I didn't get the chance to interview so I guess it's not the best of news either. 

Same thing happened when I first applied to UBC. I think they have like a B-list system. That year, I don't think I received a rejection until like late Feb despite not interviewing

8 minutes ago, foood said:

The clinical committee interview is something that they just started doing this cycle. I just received an email a couple of minutes ago for the clinical committee interview and they gave me two 20 min slots to choose from. I assuming that since the interview involves two clinical faculty, they are sending out the invites in waves given that the faculty probably have limited availability that match with one another. It doesn't hurt to ask but I would maybe give it a few more days

Oh wow, thank you for this very helpful response! Good to hear that you literally just received word. Maybe there's still hope yet - I'll hold on for another couple days then. Do you think that if I'm rejected, my POI would inform me soon?

13 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

16 hours ago, sparrow123 said:

Sorry you received disappointing news ❤️ But based on your signature, you have 8 other chances, I hope something goes well for you!

Thank you both for the kind words. I appreciate it more than you know :) 

46 minutes ago, xtrahotlatte said:

I still haven’t heard. DM me your POI! 

Haven't heard anything from SCCP at OISE either.  Are we sure they do interviews?

4 minutes ago, VanessaB said:

Haven't heard anything from SCCP at OISE either.  Are we sure they do interviews?

They generally do. Last year, one of my friend’s POI interviewed her end of Jan. She was waitlisted and then accepted in March. Another friend, however, was waitlisted without ever being interviewed but then never got accepted. I think it depends on the prof!