13 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

I've seen a lot of people posting about how they're worried because they haven't heard anything yet – of the 14 programs I applied to, only one usually notifies in January. The rest notify in February (spread throughout the entire month) and even in March. It's far too early for anyone to start panicking!

I totally agree, but it is definitely hard seeing people get notifications (accepted, waitlisted and even rejected) and not hearing anything at all yet.

In a past thread, someone mentioned trying to remember that each school's decision is independent of the other, and that these results aren't a judgement on your intellect and ability. I find these ideas comforting during this time.

Just received an email from a school I had applied to regarding my residency and how to petition for in-state as I’ll be working full time. The thing is...I never applied for residency and I haven’t received work (positive or negative) from this particular school. 

Should I take this to be a positive move? At the very least, I’ve made it to the next round of decision making? 

My anxious brain is looking for clues everywhere!

Has anyone else heard from UT Austin RTF? I had a *quite* informal phone interview on Thursday. It caught me off guard because it was  casual and mostly a time for me to ask questions about the program. Very little discussion of research. Has anybody else had this experience with interviewing? It was unnerving to prepare and then realize you’re supposed to be having a completely different type of conversation!

17 hours ago, MightAsWell said:

Has anyone else heard from UT Austin RTF? I had a *quite* informal phone interview on Thursday. It caught me off guard because it was  casual and mostly a time for me to ask questions about the program. Very little discussion of research. Has anybody else had this experience with interviewing? It was unnerving to prepare and then realize you’re supposed to be having a completely different type of conversation!

I also had the same experience with Austin. The conversation was quite informal but my profs said it's a new thing that Phd programs are doing now.  

And the same with UC-Irvine the other day. My interview was only about 20-30 minutes. I guess today we have to "win" the interview by implying our interests through the questions. 

On the other hand, I'm international student, so most of the time my interviews were just about to test if my English is comprehensible LOL. 

15 minutes ago, 43pennsylvanian said:

I also had the same experience with Austin. The conversation was quite informal but my profs said it's a new thing that Phd programs are doing now.  

And the same with UC-Irvine the other day. My interview was only about 20-30 minutes. I guess today we have to "win" the interview by implying our interests through the questions. 

On the other hand, I'm international student, so most of the time my interviews were just about to test if my English is comprehensible LOL. 

Does Irvine always interview?? I’ve had radio silence from them... ?

2 hours ago, 43pennsylvanian said:

I think it varies by programs. I applied to the Visual Studies program, should have specified. 

Which program did you apply to? 

Ohh yes I see. I applied for English. Had no idea if they interview so got a little spooked there...

this process is lowkey traumatizing 

2 hours ago, jm6394 said:

is there an unofficial list anywhere of programs that typically give interviews? trying to figure out if I have something or nothing to worry about just yet

For what it’s worth, I scoured the results page (shamelessly, multiple cycles back) and found that of my 11 schools, only 2, Columbia and Stanford, interview—and inconsistently at that. As torturous as it is, I think for the majority of English programs we can run with the assumption that  it’ll be silent until the emails/phone calls roll in

6 hours ago, FlamePoint said:

For what it’s worth, I scoured the results page (shamelessly, multiple cycles back) and found that of my 11 schools, only 2, Columbia and Stanford, interview—and inconsistently at that. As torturous as it is, I think for the majority of English programs we can run with the assumption that  it’ll be silent until the emails/phone calls roll in

I think also Chicago. Harvard? 

Edit:Oh from your schools. Apologies, misread

Edited by Emailchecker

Monday, Monday, Monday! Opening of business is rolling around in the next 10 minutes for US Eastern time, and I sure am feeling that "the decisions are coming" anxiety! 

Here's hoping for a week of good news for all of us :)

1 minute ago, Wimsey said:

This process makes me feel as if I am back in undergrad, desperately wondering if my crush will ever text me back.

Just a heads up that some schools do call as well (often ahead of the official email). So, in short, we're now all reduced to being teenagers waiting by the phone for our crushes (or schools) to call. 

Looks like Duke English is starting their Monday morning off productively. Just received an official rejection. Wasn't too surprised, since I'm a film person and I didn't tailor my SoP too much to fit in better;  I mostly just applied to work with Toril Moi, anyway.

9 minutes ago, cruel optimism said:

Just a heads up that some schools do call as well (often ahead of the official email). So, in short, we're now all reduced to being teenagers waiting by the phone for our crushes (or schools) to call. 

I told my office (five of us, most of whom are applying to grad school this cycle or the next in a variety of fields) that if I get a call ahead we're all getting a round of beer even if it's at 10am. 

3 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Just got rejected from Duke. Not a fun feeling, but the idea of starting the cycle off with a rejection stings the most. 

Duke rejects unite! I kind of had a feeling I wouldn't make it when I didn't hear anything last week, so it's not a huge surprise. We will make it through!