2020 Canadian SLP Thread

24 minutes ago, smellyrich said:

Last year I didn't hear anything from UofT until I got my rejection, which they email you and send you a nice letter in the mail about it haha

There wasn't a portal or anything though

Oh okay, well that's a bit reassuring haha. Thank you!! 

On 2/5/2020 at 12:37 PM, Origami_Princess said:

I'm surprised you didn't get in last year because Western typically accepts those with a subgpa ranging from 3.3-3.5/higher. Would you mind tell me what your stats were last year?

Hey! So like I said I remember by SGPA being about a 3.55, I had ~180 volunteer hours with adults/elderly population. I hadn't completed all of my prerequisites at the time, now all of my prereq courses sit at a grade of 81 or above. 

I would say I didn't get in because of a combination of gpa, volunteer hours/lack of multiple populations, and possibly a weak letter of intent. In hindsight my application wasn't strong as a whole and I hope my application this year is stronger.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, smellyrich said:

I'm at a 3.70 on ORPAS..

Last year, I kind of got screwed over.. I was completing my second degree and had only 19 classes, so they took my overall gpa from my first degree and added it as a 20th class instead of the last class or average of the last semester. Dropped it down to a 3.56. Didn't get in anywhere including McMasters, which I'm not applying to this year! Their minimum sgpa for the MMIs was 3.87.... crazy

Yeah it's tough... I would have to spend thousands and thousands in extra courses to erase the courses from years ago that are bringing my average down. I had a strong 4th and 5th year but just not enough to completely erase my third year from the total 20 courses. Super frustrating!

1 minute ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Yeah it's tough... I would have to spend thousands and thousands in extra courses to erase the courses from years ago that are bringing my average down. I had a strong 4th and 5th year but just not enough to completely erase my third year from the total 20 courses. Super frustrating!

I'm in the exact same boat - ORPAS doesn't differentiate between semesters, so they ended up dipping into my third year to finish off the 20 courses, I didn't realize that so what I thought was a 3.73 sgpa ended up being a 3.64, which is so disheartening. I had good grades in that year, but I had one awful grade which just plummeted my SubGPA. I guess there is a point where you can always take more courses but spend thousands of dollars trying to erase bad marks. 

45 minutes ago, GenerationSpeechie said:

I'm in the exact same boat - ORPAS doesn't differentiate between semesters, so they ended up dipping into my third year to finish off the 20 courses, I didn't realize that so what I thought was a 3.73 sgpa ended up being a 3.64, which is so disheartening. I had good grades in that year, but I had one awful grade which just plummeted my SubGPA. I guess there is a point where you can always take more courses but spend thousands of dollars trying to erase bad marks. 

Yes exactly! Last year the average for my third year counted for 9 out of 20 courses so it brought me down A LOT. So I postponed graduation and went to school for a 5th year so this application cycle it only counts for 3 out of 20 credits.. it still manages to have a substantial impact however :( I would have had to take at least 3 extra classes for it to disappear.

2 hours ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Hey! So like I said I remember by SGPA being about a 3.55, I had ~180 volunteer hours with adults/elderly population. I hadn't completed all of my prerequisites at the time, now all of my prereq courses sit at a grade of 81 or above. 

I would say I didn't get in because of a combination of gpa, volunteer hours/lack of multiple populations, and possibly a weak letter of intent. In hindsight my application wasn't strong as a whole and I hope my application this year is stronger.

Thanks for your response! 

Hey everyone, 

Sub-GPA is 3.75! I think I have an ok amount of volunteer experience in research, retirement homes, speech clinics, mental health inpatient units, soccer coach, peer leader volunteer, and teacher. I have worked with a whole spectrum of people and I have racked up over 200 hours of volunteering. I just wanted to say good luck to everyone. I have definitely been compulsively checking my email and ORPAS for the past week even though I know I won't be getting a response until March (interviews for mcmaster) and April (for western). I am having doubts of if I will even be getting in because I initially though my letter of intent was great but I just read it last nigh and I completely hated it. Not sure what to think because I have heard that a lot of people don't get in their first try but I am very excited for this new chapter in my life. Hope everyone gets in!! :) 

13 hours ago, danielaspeechSLP said:

Hey everyone, 

Sub-GPA is 3.75! I think I have an ok amount of volunteer experience in research, retirement homes, speech clinics, mental health inpatient units, soccer coach, peer leader volunteer, and teacher. I have worked with a whole spectrum of people and I have racked up over 200 hours of volunteering. I just wanted to say good luck to everyone. I have definitely been compulsively checking my email and ORPAS for the past week even though I know I won't be getting a response until March (interviews for mcmaster) and April (for western). I am having doubts of if I will even be getting in because I initially though my letter of intent was great but I just read it last nigh and I completely hated it. Not sure what to think because I have heard that a lot of people don't get in their first try but I am very excited for this new chapter in my life. Hope everyone gets in!! :) 

You have some amazing stuff!! Do you want to exchange letters? Get a feel for what other people are writing?

9 hours ago, slpthings said:

My McGill application is in review! Does anyone know when ppl heard back from McGill last year?

From what I remember if you got accepted they will call you personally sometime in the days leading up to April 1st, otherwise if you didn't get in you'll receive and email from them on that date.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, just_speechie said:

I'm a second year UofA student if anyone has any questions about the program here. Best of luck to you all!

Do you know how many out of province students they accept per year? Also I'm on the fence about my GRE scores, do you know how much attention they give those in the selection process?

For my Dal online application the documents that I mailed (resume and information form) and my GRE score still have not been received according to the application summary. I read that it may take weeks for them to say "received" but I'm getting worried they just haven't gotten there. Are other people having the same issue? Thanks! :) 

2 hours ago, LIVXO said:

For my Dal online application the documents that I mailed (resume and information form) and my GRE score still have not been received according to the application summary. I read that it may take weeks for them to say "received" but I'm getting worried they just haven't gotten there. Are other people having the same issue? Thanks! :) 

My resume + info form are showing as received, but my GRE is still a blank. I'm trying not to be too !!!!!! about it because like you said, I've also read that their portal is on the slow side, haha! 

Also, @corinthians1614 said "I asked them about my checklist items and they said that it's fine if it doesn't say received, so long as the main things, like the application fee have been submitted and the application itself. If anything is outstanding after they go through the applications, they would let the applicants know. " (sorry, unsure how to quote two posts haha)

2 hours ago, tulipz said:

My resume + info form are showing as received, but my GRE is still a blank. I'm trying not to be too !!!!!! about it because like you said, I've also read that their portal is on the slow side, haha! 

Also, @corinthians1614 said "I asked them about my checklist items and they said that it's fine if it doesn't say received, so long as the main things, like the application fee have been submitted and the application itself. If anything is outstanding after they go through the applications, they would let the applicants know. " (sorry, unsure how to quote two posts haha)

Ok thank you! Did you mail your resume and info form? Hopefully they'll call if something is outstanding, just makes me nervous because the deadline was almost a month ago!! Thanks for the help tho! :)  

25 minutes ago, LIVXO said:

Ok thank you! Did you mail your resume and info form? Hopefully they'll call if something is outstanding, just makes me nervous because the deadline was almost a month ago!! Thanks for the help tho! :)  

Yes I did! It feels almost archaic lol, I wonder if they're ever going to change their application process so you can upload the documents online. No worries! Fingers crossed :)

Hi everyone!

I wish you all the best of luck in your speech journeys! I applied to McGill, Toronto, McMaster, Western, and Ottawa. I was so eager to submit my applications already that I gave myself a deadline to have them all submitted before the actual school deadlines, so when it came to that night, I submitted my letters without being fully confident in them. I started editing them last minute then failed to read them over properly before I submitted. Now, every time I read them over, there are a million things I wish I could change!

I wanted to know if anyone else was in the same boat as me? Feeling okay about your letter before submitting it and then reading it over and feeling super bleh about it? I've been struggling with accepting the fact that it's submitted and am feeling super anxious about it.

9 hours ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Just curious and wanted to check and see if everyone else's U of A application still says 'Pre-Screening'? 

It has been pre-screening for at least a month for me. At this moment it is hard to believe that we might hear back before the end of the month.  ?

4 hours ago, speechy_123 said:

Hi everyone!

I wish you all the best of luck in your speech journeys! I applied to McGill, Toronto, McMaster, Western, and Ottawa. I was so eager to submit my applications already that I gave myself a deadline to have them all submitted before the actual school deadlines, so when it came to that night, I submitted my letters without being fully confident in them. I started editing them last minute then failed to read them over properly before I submitted. Now, every time I read them over, there are a million things I wish I could change!

I wanted to know if anyone else was in the same boat as me? Feeling okay about your letter before submitting it and then reading it over and feeling super bleh about it? I've been struggling with accepting the fact that it's submitted and am feeling super anxious about it.

Hi Speechy_123

I know how stressful this whole process is! This is the second time I'm doing it so trust me, I know haha! We are always our most critical when it comes to ourselves. If you'd like, someone to read it over or we can compare letters, it might make you feel a bit better. Or if you have any questions, let me know :)

On 2/10/2020 at 7:53 AM, LIVXO said:

Hi! Mine also still don't say received, but I emailed them and they told me they would contact me if anything was missing. Hope that helps!