Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

On 12/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Reply right away and indicate your strong interest in their program and excitement in being invited but say you’re still in the process of coordinating your schedule and will let them know as soon as possible. Thank them at the beginning and end of the email, etc. 

Thank you. This reply worked well & POI had a positive response.  

I have a telephone interview on 1/3/2020 with a PI from University of Kansas for the Clinical Psychology PhD. I'm assuming this is for her to decide on whether to invite me for a face-to-face interview weekend. Good luck, everyone!

If anybody has received interview invitations for the following Clinical Psychology PhD programs please let me know:

Washington State University

University of Utah

Idaho State University

Suffolk University

University of Maine

University of Wyoming

University of Iowa

University of Alabama at Birmingham

Marquette University

Idaho State University

Thanks! :) 

First time posting here and first time applying to programs....

I'm really nervous that I'm going to get an unscheduled pre-screening phone interview. I was hoping those of you who have gotten these could give me some insight to better prepare. What kinds of questions were asked, how long was the call, etc. I've applied to 12 programs so any advice on how to be ready to talk about any given program on the fly would also be helpful! Feel free to PM me if that's preferred!

52 minutes ago, MyAmygdalaDoesn'tLikeThis said:

I'm really nervous that I'm going to get an unscheduled pre-screening phone interview. I was hoping those of you who have gotten these could give me some insight to better prepare. What kinds of questions were asked, how long was the call, etc. I've applied to 12 programs so any advice on how to be ready to talk about any given program on the fly would also be helpful! Feel free to PM me if that's preferred!

Does anyone actually get an unscheduled pre-screening phone call? I have two coming up, but they've both been scheduled. I'd be nervous too to get an unscheduled one. I would help you if I could. I don't know yet what questions will be asked. Best of luck in your applications! And happy new year!

1 hour ago, MyAmygdalaDoesn'tLikeThis said:

I read somewhere that if you’re caught off guard, you should express enthusiasm but say you have an appointment coming up/another commitment and ask if you can schedule a time to chat. It’s never happened to me, so YMMV. You could also just let it go to voicemail and then call back when you’ve had a few minutes to prepare. Applicants have busy lives, and more so than ever people don’t pick up calls from numbers they don’t recognize. Preparing some baseline answers to those tough questions is a good idea, but you probably don’t need to feel obligated to take or continue the surprise call right then and there. 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:57 PM, fixology said:

Seriously, I even googled it and couldn’t find it listed on the UMB website at all! It worked out okay for us in the end but that was an unexpected surprise, haha. So odd they didn’t seem to have any mention of it anywhere else, considering we already included our transcripts and GPA in the main app and course summary in the supplemental app! 

WAIT

So I keep receiving the "GPA summary" request, and finally last week my POI said she could see that my application was listed as complete and that she is looking forward to reviewing it. Could she be mistaken, do I need to email a separate word document with this? I emailed the admissions email and got no response. So weird because like you mentioned, there is already a course summary!

37 minutes ago, PsychHopeful2020 said:

WAIT

So I keep receiving the "GPA summary" request, and finally last week my POI said she could see that my application was listed as complete and that she is looking forward to reviewing it. Could she be mistaken, do I need to email a separate word document with this? I emailed the admissions email and got no response. So weird because like you mentioned, there is already a course summary!

Who’s your POI? 

5 hours ago, ekilgallon said:

To the person who posted on the results page that said they got an interview from University of Massachusetts, Amherst could you message me your POI? Congratulations on your interview!

Me too, please!

8 hours ago, MyAmygdalaDoesn'tLikeThis said:

Can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but I've heard that it's a good idea to just let calls from unknown numbers go to voicemail. If a POI is calling, they will most likely leave you a voicemail if you don't answer. Then you know who called and can call back when you're ready to chat! 

10 minutes ago, lolhelp said:

Can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but I've heard that it's a good idea to just let calls from unknown numbers go to voicemail. If a POI is calling, they will most likely leave you a voicemail if you don't answer. Then you know who called and can call back when you're ready to chat! 

I missed a call from a POI & they followed with an email right after. I don’t think I’ll be answering my phone  this month. I’m not great when unprepared. 

On 12/13/2019 at 11:56 PM, valgal95 said:

Got an email from the Director! 

School: UT Austin

Type: Counseling Psychology PhD

Date of invite: December 13th 

Type of invite: On campus

Interview date(s): February 7th 

•  

Congrats! Was the director the PI you applied for? 

On 12/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, QPOCPHD said:

School: University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)

Type: Counseling Psychology PhD

Date of invite: 12/18/19

Type of invite: email from Program Coordinator 

Interview date(s): on-campus 1/17/20

Congrats on your interview! Could you please DM me your PI? 

22 hours ago, PsychHopeful2020 said:

WAIT

I’ve had the same problem, along with a request for GRE subject scores. I called admissions and was told the GPA summary can be a Word doc of all psych related courses you took, along with the grade you received. And then you email it to their admissions email (I think it’s gadocs@umb.edu). It’s not for the admissions committee, it’s more for the admissions department to have on file *shrugs*