Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

On 1/1/2020 at 6:20 AM, MyAmygdalaDoesn'tLikeThis said:

First time posting here and first time applying to programs....

I'm really nervous that I'm going to get an unscheduled pre-screening phone interview. I was hoping those of you who have gotten these could give me some insight to better prepare. What kinds of questions were asked, how long was the call, etc. I've applied to 12 programs so any advice on how to be ready to talk about any given program on the fly would also be helpful! Feel free to PM me if that's preferred!

It's my first round too and I haven't personally had any phone interviews yet. There is an interview advice thread that may be helpful, though (https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/121366-interview-advice/). This is what @SocialPsych2018 said:

On 12/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, SocialPsych2018 said:

I usually read 2-3 papers, 3-5 abstracts, like 10 article titles, and prepare answers to questions I anticipate being asked.

I'll include some broad/common ones here, as i don't want to give away everyone's specific questions. Anyone can DM me for more questions, though :)

1. Why do you want to go to (school)? Why do you want to work with me?
  2. Why do you want to go to grad school (in general?)
  3. What are your research interests, broadly? What topics interest you?
  4. What are you looking for in a lab/mentor? What type of mentoring style do you like?
  5. Tell me about some research you've conducted. (Be prepared to talk about everything from why the study came into existence, to methods, analyses, what came out of it [e.g., a publication, presentation, it's in progress, etc.])
  6. What research projects would you be interested in doing / what are your research/study ideas?
  7. What do you want to do after completing your PhD? (e.g., become a prof, go into clinical, industry, whatever)
  8. Do you have any questions for me? (make sure you have questions prepared!)

2 hours ago, applicant17 said:

If those who received interview invites from University of Missouri-St. Louis could message me their POI, I would be so grateful! Thanks and congratulations.

Same here ! If you can send your PI initials I'd be greatful

On 12/17/2019 at 9:12 AM, hermm said:

Yeah I definitely should have checked the website for before posting haha. JC and LK, but I'm not very optimistic about getting an interview. Would be awesome though! Who are you PIs (feel free to PM if you'd rather share that way)?

No worries! Awesome, I also applied to work with JC along with RS. I'm not very optimistic either, except for UN-Lincoln because I haven't received a rejection yet as others have. 

On 12/28/2019 at 2:36 PM, hermm said:

Could the person who got a preliminary interview from Alabama Tuscaloosa pm me their POI initials if you feel comfortable? I didn’t see a post on the thread or I would pm!

Me as well, please!

FYI that UC Berkeley just sent out an email saying all interview invites have been extended

Edit: Wasn't sure what to put on results page but saw that someone just did and now not sure how to delete my post

Edited by laniekid

On 12/31/2019 at 7:35 PM, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

School: University of Iowa

Type: PhD

Date of invite: December 31st 

Type of invite: Email

Interview date(s): Feb 6-8

If this is for a Clinical Psych PhD, could you message me your POI's name?

Hi friends! Can I make a TOTALLY FRIENDLY and WELL MEANING suggestion that if you are interested in hearing who someone else's POI is, just PM them directly instead of posting it? I liken this to when your mom texts you saying "call me" instead of just calling you. The end result is the same, just less work and notifications for everyone involved!  (pls don't @ me, just a girl tryna keep an eye out so I know when I can officially cross Yale off my list of possibilities lol) 

P.S. I know this doesn't work when the person only posts on the results page. 

Wishing everyone a smooth and calm waiting to hear season and the best of luck with their apps!! ?

Edited by penguinqueen

7 minutes ago, penguinqueen said:

Hi friends! Can I make a TOTALLY FRIENDLY and WELL MEANING suggestion that if you are interested in hearing who someone else's POI is, just PM them directly instead of posting it? I liken this to when your mom texts you saying "call me" instead of just calling you. The end result is the same, just less work and notifications for everyone involved!  (pls don't @ me, just a girl tryna keep an eye out so I know when I can officially cross Yale off my list of possibilities lol) 

Wishing everyone a smooth and calm waiting to hear season and the best of luck with their apps!! ?

Edited by 2020

6 minutes ago, 2020 said:

Totally friendly response hoping I have not been super thick this whole time: can you see the author of the post on the results page? I’ve been posting on here when I don’t know who the author is, otherwise I would dm them. 

Unfortunately not, which is why I edited to include a caveat to say that's not necessarily what I'm referring to! However, I also feel like people who only post on the results page and not on the forums might not ever check the forums, but I could be totally wrong about that and I definitely understand the post then! I just think if you know who to DM, just DM them haha. 

Edited by penguinqueen

6 minutes ago, penguinqueen said:

Unfortunately not, which is why I edited to include a caveat to say that's not necessarily what I'm referring to! However, I also feel like people who only post on the results page and not on the forums might not ever check the forums, but I could be totally wrong about that and I definitely understand the post then! I just think if you know who to DM, just DM them haha. 

This has already been brought up by someone else, and the consensus was essentially that people do DM when they post on this thread (usually) and ask for POI when they saw something on the results page. There are always going to be a select few people who don't follow this unfortunately which makes for a bunch of unrelated notifications. It's for sure a flawed system! Just like PhD applications ? 

18 hours ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

I’ve had the same problem, along with a request for GRE subject scores. I called admissions and was told the GPA summary can be a Word doc of all psych related courses you took, along with the grade you received. And then you email it to their admissions email (I think it’s gadocs@umb.edu). It’s not for the admissions committee, it’s more for the admissions department to have on file *shrugs*

Thanks, I finally got a reply and it definitely is a requirement, just in case anyone else is in the position I was in wondering if you have to do it still. That is the correct email to send it to, and you need to include your subject ID in the email.

Hoping it wasn't weird that I included philosophy, biology, and sociology courses... I was like "I guess they're RELATED".

School: University of Alabama Tuscaloosa

Type: Clinical PhD

Date of invite: Dec 10 2019

Type of invite: email from POI

Interview date(s): 1/24

Notes: Offered housing with grad student for interview. Had two preliminary phone screenings for 2 different faculty for forensics. I do know that JC is not ending up taking students this cycle. DM me with more questions.