Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

7 minutes ago, denovomojo said:

Not sure if anyone has experience with this but I have now been declined from some programs post-interview this recruitment cycle.  Barring some type of screw up/issue from interview day, which from the feedback I received is not the case, what are the chances of getting another interview at the same school if you reapply the following year?  

I worked out a plan with my current PI where I would split time with another team in order to return with better technical experience in my area of interest (neuroimaging), add another good letter of rec, and have a few more publications.  So I'd like to think I would only return a better candidate, but did that ship sail at the programs I interviewed with this cycle? 

Personal experience so take it with a grain of salt. 

I applied to counseling and clinical programs last year and this. I interviewed with 3 programs last year. Didn’t get in to two and one the POI lost funding to another faculty. During the off season, I obtained a new RA position, obtained a better LOR and had a manuscript published. I was a completely different student and got multiple offers that proved that. However, those same 3 schools did not even interview me despite my improvements. 

if I was to do my application over again, I should have not applied again to those programs. Because I interviewed there, my stats and improvements didn’t matter. they didn’t choose me based on fit and prob felt   
“no point to interview him again”

That’s just my situation. 

Would anyone be willing to give their perspective on obtaining a masters in psychology or clinical psychology prior to pursuing a PhD? Being waitlisted essentially everywhere, and then getting the option to forward my applications to the masters programs where I’ve been rejected has me thinking. My backup has always been to pursue a masters in something other than clinical psychology or psychology, but is it more beneficial? I’m sure it varies from person to person and program to program, but any advice is appreciated!

6 hours ago, Asdfghjkl123 said:

Would anyone be willing to give their perspective on obtaining a masters in psychology or clinical psychology prior to pursuing a PhD? Being waitlisted essentially everywhere, and then getting the option to forward my applications to the masters programs where I’ve been rejected has me thinking. My backup has always been to pursue a masters in something other than clinical psychology or psychology, but is it more beneficial? I’m sure it varies from person to person and program to program, but any advice is appreciated!

I got MA in Forensic Psychology prior to pursuing PhD. Definitely enjoyed my program a lot and connected with several fantastic faculty members. This connection led to publications, RAing, TAing, and more. So I think it strengthened my application overall. On the other hand, this is not an applied degree, and I virtually cannot do anything with it. If I were to do it again, I would get a MA in Forensic Mental Health Counseling at the same school – that way you can at least have some income while waiting between rounds of Ph.D. application. Also, if you apply to Counseling Psychology Ph.D. programs, some waive a significant number of credits if you have Master's in Counseling/Counseling Psychology. Just my two cents.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, chinodegato said:

School: University of La Verne

Type: Clinical Psychology PsyD

Date of invite: 1/22/2020

Type of invite: email from psychology department manager 

Interview date(s): February 8, February 14, and February 21

Have they sent you a decision yet? I haven't heard from them and interviewed there as well. Thanks!

Has anyone else besides the poster on the results page received a rejection email from Suffolk? I haven't heard anything either way and was wondering if perhaps it was a mass email.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:05 AM, Asdfghjkl123 said:

I attended an MA/EdS program School Psychology Program before pursuing my PhD. Even with my EdS, it was three years before I was accepted into a program (this year). But the experiences that I was able to gain, the people I was able to connect with, and the relationships that I was able to build and learn from--all of these things were priceless and have helped me become the professional I am today.

To the people who got into or got rejected from the Teacher's College Masters program, did you apply to the PhD and opt to be considered for the masters as well? I'm in that situation and haven't heard back about anything yet. I'm sure I didn't get into the PhD since I didn't get an interview, but I'm wondering if I still have a shot at the Masters. 

1 minute ago, waitingforever said:

To the people who got into or got rejected from the Teacher's College Masters program, did you apply to the PhD and opt to be considered for the masters as well? I'm in that situation and haven't heard back about anything yet. I'm sure I didn't get into the PhD since I didn't get an interview, but I'm wondering if I still have a shot at the Masters. 

I am also in this position wondering the same thing, I saw some people have posted acceptances into the master's program on the results page. 

Hi everyone, 

Not sure if this would fit in this thread but I interviewed with a program about a month ago and I haven't received a rejection or acceptance. I know that some people received acceptances and other rejections. I'm not sure if I'm on a waitlist but when I reached out to the committee they said decisions would be mailed out mid-march/end of march. I emailed the POI I interviewed with about two weeks ago but I did not hear back from her. Do you think it would suitable to send another email to the POI or should I just assume a rejection and leave it be? 

Thanks,

Stressed Grad Student 

So I was accepted off the waitlist for St. John’s program and I was wondering if anyone had any genuine insight beyond “the research is what you make it”? After I returned from my interview day there, a current PhD student (not at St. John’s herself) who knows others there told me they hate it there and that the program basically lies about funding and internship opportunities and leaves students floundering after first year to find their own money and jobs, despite saying that for the first 2-3 years funding is guaranteed?? When I got waitlisted, I thought that was for the best b/c that report was concerning and I didn’t love the idea of living in nyc/queens/brooklyn for the rest of my young adult life. I figure if I’m going to suffer through a PhD program (as they have been characterized) then I rather do that somewhere I feel at home. So this is a long winded way of asking does anyone know what the fuck is up with the clinical psych PhD program at St. John’s? B/c now I feel like I really ought to consider this since maybe I won’t get anything next time I reapply to a smaller group of schools. Thanks for reading

31 minutes ago, ns15 said:

So I was accepted off the waitlist for St. John’s program and I was wondering if anyone had any genuine insight beyond “the research is what you make it”? After I returned from my interview day there, a current PhD student (not at St. John’s herself) who knows others there told me they hate it there and that the program basically lies about funding and internship opportunities and leaves students floundering after first year to find their own money and jobs, despite saying that for the first 2-3 years funding is guaranteed?? When I got waitlisted, I thought that was for the best b/c that report was concerning and I didn’t love the idea of living in nyc/queens/brooklyn for the rest of my young adult life. I figure if I’m going to suffer through a PhD program (as they have been characterized) then I rather do that somewhere I feel at home. So this is a long winded way of asking does anyone know what the fuck is up with the clinical psych PhD program at St. John’s? B/c now I feel like I really ought to consider this since maybe I won’t get anything next time I reapply to a smaller group of schools. Thanks for reading

I'm not familiar with the program at St. John's, but I think you should definitely try to get into contact with students currently in the program (or who have graduated from the program). I believe they will be able to best help you in terms of the quality of the program instead of listening to "rumours" from people not in the program. 

Also, did you talk to any current graduate students in the program during your interview day? Perhaps try to get into contact with them via phone/email? Or email the program director and ask if they can provide you contact information for current grad students as you need more information before you make your decision. 

I know entering a PhD program is a really big commitment and its super important to know what you're getting yourself into. 

Edited by KB23
typo

11 minutes ago, KB23 said:

I'm not familiar with the program at St. John's, but I think you should definitely try to get into contact with students currently in the program (or who have graduated from the program). I believe they will be able to best help you in terms of the quality of the program instead of listening to "rumours" from people not in the program. 

Also, did you talk to any current graduate students in the program during your interview day? Perhaps try to get into contact with them via phone/email? Or email the program director and ask if they can provide you contact information for current grad students as you need more information before you make your decision. 

I know entering a PhD program is a really big commitment and its super important to know what you're getting yourself into. 

Thank you for your response! I think you’re definitely right about speaking to current students or recent graduates, but I’m worried the current students might report the conversation back to the DCT. 

Most of the interview day was actually spent speaking with current students and I do have their contact information. It was mostly first years, so maybe it wasn’t an issue they faced yet (if it’s a legitimate problem there). They all were also all from the nyc area or had been living there for years, so maybe funding wasn’t a main concern? They were very enthusiastic about the program, but I also figured that was standard for these interview days (it was my first) and that they wouldn’t divulge that type of information. But that’s besides the point, my main concern is that if I were to reach out, they would discuss our conversation with the admin. 

And you’re not wrong! Thank you for that 

6 hours ago, ns15 said:

Thank you for your response! I think you’re definitely right about speaking to current students or recent graduates, but I’m worried the current students might report the conversation back to the DCT. 

Most of the interview day was actually spent speaking with current students and I do have their contact information. It was mostly first years, so maybe it wasn’t an issue they faced yet (if it’s a legitimate problem there). They all were also all from the nyc area or had been living there for years, so maybe funding wasn’t a main concern? They were very enthusiastic about the program, but I also figured that was standard for these interview days (it was my first) and that they wouldn’t divulge that type of information. But that’s besides the point, my main concern is that if I were to reach out, they would discuss our conversation with the admin. 

And you’re not wrong! Thank you for that 

Since you were accepted to the program I don't think you should be concerned if they did report back. I've had some very candid conversations with current graduate students at universities I was accepted to and even told them other offers I had or was considering and why I was hesitant to attend their program. Students are super honest because they get it. It's hard to make these decisions. So I think if you have questions ask them. You're accepted and they can't revoke it just because you're concerned about some aspects of the program. 

On 3/10/2020 at 8:36 AM, waitingforever said:

I applied to the PhD program at Teachers college and received my rejection letter today. In my letter, they also mentioned identifying me as a potential candidate for their master’s program. However, I needed to fill out a form to be considered. Not sure how to feel. 

On 3/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, denovomojo said:

Not sure if anyone has experience with this but I have now been declined from some programs post-interview this recruitment cycle.  Barring some type of screw up/issue from interview day, which from the feedback I received is not the case, what are the chances of getting another interview at the same school if you reapply the following year?  

I worked out a plan with my current PI where I would split time with another team in order to return with better technical experience in my area of interest (neuroimaging), add another good letter of rec, and have a few more publications.  So I'd like to think I would only return a better candidate, but did that ship sail at the programs I interviewed with this cycle? 

I had this dilemma this application cycle. I chose to not re-apply to most programs where I applied the year before, because I wanted to add some new ones in the mix. I did re-apply to one, which was a favorite, and I didn't get an interview. My situation did change (regarding research experience, a bit higher GRE scores) but it did not seem to matter.

The thing is, I re-applied after one year. So maybe programs see this as too little time. If you were to reapply after more time, I believe programs would look at your application differently (assuming you have added new/interesting things to your experience). 

This is only my experience though. 

Also, if you are on good terms with the POIs were you interviewed, can you ask them their opinion? 

5 hours ago, realfish said:

I applied to the PhD program at Teachers college and received my rejection letter today. In my letter, they also mentioned identifying me as a potential candidate for their master’s program. However, I needed to fill out a form to be considered. Not sure how to feel. 

This happened to me yesterday as well.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:46 AM, denovomojo said:

This might be a school-specific issue. Similarly to other people who have answered this, I applied to 8 clinical PhD programs last year and 11 this year - six of the same as last year and five new ones. Two of the programs I interviewed at last year actually did invite me for another interview this year, and I got accepted to one (it was my undergrad institution where I had a lot of prior connections, though). However, at another program I interviewed at last year, the PI expressed the strong desire to admit me as a second student but he couldn't secure the funding for two, so I was ultimately rejected. I had high hopes of being selected for an interview again this year, but no dice. 

In sum, my experience has been that often schools with very selective applicant pools (e.g., they only invite 3 students/PI for interviews) may not invite you for another interview no matter how your stats improved, but having connections with your PI might override this!

Has anyone called their programs admissions department post interview to find out if all invitations have been extended? 

It's been a few weeks and I have seen some acceptances since then but the most recent acceptance I heard of was about two weeks ago. I would like to make a decision between this program and another but I would hate to red flag myself by calling and asking. 

1 hour ago, JMV1598 said:

Has anyone called their programs admissions department post interview to find out if all invitations have been extended? 

It's been a few weeks and I have seen some acceptances since then but the most recent acceptance I heard of was about two weeks ago. I would like to make a decision between this program and another but I would hate to red flag myself by calling and asking. 

Your not going to get red-flagged for asking a question lol

On 3/3/2020 at 10:46 AM, denovomojo said:

I know 3 different people who interviewed at a program (high-level programs), were waitlisted, didn't get in, re-applied 1-2 years later and are now students at the place they had initially been rejected from. 

People have different experiences with re-applying, and I think it entirely depends on why you were not offered admission to that university. If someone interviews and the PI realizes maybe the school isn't a good program for the student's career goals, or the PI realizes the student isn't a great research match/fit, or maybe even that the student's personality didn't mesh with their own or the culture of their lab, etc - applying a second time probably will not improve your chances, and you probably will not receive an interview. But if, for example, there were a few students that the PI wanted to take and someone just barely squeaked out ahead of you, and it was a tough decision -- I imagine they would be thrilled to have another opportunity to interview you and offer you admission (especially if additional experience has been gained). 

I also work at a university in research (I'm going to be a 1st phd student near year at a diff school), and have talked to faculty where I work who have said re-applying just shows how interested you are, and reiterated that it really depends on why the student wasn't accepted (it is was lack of fit, or having someone slightly more competitive take the spot even though they really liked the candidate). And that's really what influences whether you get invited back. 

If it's a school you genuinely enjoyed interviewing at and it was a PI you truly want to work with, and it's a program you would like to attend, why not re-apply? Sorry this turned into a novel - I just don't see the harm in re-applying if you really liked the school and it's a top choice (unless it would cause financial strain, etc., which is totally understandable)!

Edited by yellowbluegreen

14 hours ago, realfish said:

Same thing happened with me last night! I've been rejected from all PhD programs so far, so I'm really hoping I get into their master's program!