Fall 2020 Clinical/Counseling Interview Invites

justacigar

10 minutes ago, PsychHuman said:

When those of you who have gotten a phone call from your POI with an informal offer, do you just get a cold call and then it's this very exciting news you didn't expect, or have they emailed you first to set up an arranged phone call?

I was cold called for my offer but I had heard that if I was going to get an offer then I would receive a call around that date/time.

My POI actually called three times in a row--my ringer wasn't on and I guess he didn't want to leave a message! Glad I caught it the last time!

3 minutes ago, Modulus said:

I was cold called for my offer but I had heard that if I was going to get an offer then I would receive a call around that date/time.

My POI actually called three times in a row--my ringer wasn't on and I guess he didn't want to leave a message! Glad I caught it the last time!

That is very fortunate you caught it! Thanks for letting me know!

40 minutes ago, PsychHuman said:

When those of you who have gotten a phone call from your POI with an informal offer, do you just get a cold call and then it's this very exciting news you didn't expect, or have they emailed you first to set up an arranged phone call?

I got cold called in the morning. Told me he was waiting for 3 hours to call during an appropriate time lmao. It be clear. At the end of the interview, he made it clear he was calling “everyone” about his decision on that Monday and he did that

3 minutes ago, Itzik said:

I got cold called in the morning. Told me he was waiting for 3 hours to call during an appropriate time lmao. It be clear. At the end of the interview, he made it clear he was calling “everyone” about his decision on that Monday and he did that

Lol nice! Well congrats then!

2 hours ago, PsychHuman said:

I got sorta cold called, my POI told me we would find out on a specific day and then she called me with the good news in the afternoon. That whole morning I was bugging out ?

4 hours ago, PsychHuman said:

Cold call for two of mine, but I was in sessions for both- so I just emailed and set up a good time for me to call them and talk. One was email only saying they would be sending an official offer soon.

42 minutes ago, PsyZei said:

Cold call for two of mine, but I was in sessions for both- so I just emailed and set up a good time for me to call them and talk. One was email only saying they would be sending an official offer soon.

How long did you have to wait after your interview?

5 hours ago, PsychHuman said:

I got VERY cold called. The POI said decisions would be made in the next 10 days via email but I received a call the day after my interview! 

Edited by Justice4All

5 hours ago, PsychHuman said:

I did receive an email from my POI asking to set up a time to call (at 10 pm! and he called right after when I said I was free, too!!) but he explained it as a special circumstance since he was overseas. He mentioned he would have cold called if it was during work hours.

48 minutes ago, PsychHuman said:

How long did you have to wait after your interview?

6 days with the first (interviewed Wednesday heard Tuesday), 3 days with the second (interviewed Friday heard Monday), and 4 days with the third (interviewed Friday heard Tuesday).

I'm coming in from a Clinical MFT masters to Clinical CFT PhDs and related Human Ecology Degrees (Global Family Health and Well-being with a MFT POI)- so my experiences may not be indicative of the norms in non Systemic Therapy Clinical/Counseling programs.

1 minute ago, PsyZei said:

6 days with the first (interviewed Wednesday heard Tuesday), 3 days with the second (interviewed Friday heard Monday), and 4 days with the third (interviewed Friday heard Tuesday).

I'm coming in from a Clinical MFT masters to Clinical CFT PhDs and related Human Ecology Degrees (Global Family Health and Well-being with a MFT POI)- so my experiences may not be indicative of the norms in non Systemic Therapy Clinical/Counseling programs.

Gotcha. Well congrats on all the acceptances! Those are all really quick turnarounds.

If anyone is willing to read, I need some advice.

I got this generic email from CUA offering admission to their M.A. program in psychological science since I was rejected for their PhD program and I was wondering if anyone here had any input b/c I don’t really have any ~mentors~ to discuss this with.
This is my first time applying and of the 16 I applied to I had 1 interview with a PhD program and 1 with a PsyD. Besides random chance and the abundance of highly qualified applicants, I think the problem lies with me and the ultimate weakness of my app. For the past year and a half I have been working in a preclinical neuroscience lab vaguely related to my research interests, while my 2 previous RA jobs hardly provided any clinical research experience beyond lit reviews. So I was desperate for research experience, but given the lack of acceptances I was thinking I need to find another RA or a case manager type position in my city where I could work with the population of my interest at the very least. But now I’m wondering would this masters be a better move? I rather not spend money to get experience, but I’m not sure what would be best. I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, lmk if I should make my own thread or something. Thanks again!

Edited by ns15

1 hour ago, ns15 said:

If anyone is willing to read, I need some advice.

I got this generic email from CUA offering admission to their M.A. program in psychological science since I was rejected for their PhD program and I was wondering if anyone here had any input b/c I don’t really have any ~mentors~ to discuss this with.
This is my first time applying and of the 16 I applied to I had 1 interview with a PhD program and 1 with a PsyD. Besides random chance and the abundance of highly qualified applicants, I think the problem lies with me and the ultimate weakness of my app. For the past year and a half I have been working in a preclinical neuroscience lab vaguely related to my research interests, while my 2 previous RA jobs hardly provided any clinical research experience beyond lit reviews. So I was desperate for research experience, but given the lack of acceptances I was thinking I need to find another RA or a case manager type position in my city where I could work with the population of my interest at the very least. But now I’m wondering would this masters be a better move? I rather not spend money to get experience, but I’m not sure what would be best. I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, lmk if I should make my own thread or something. Thanks again!

I had this decision in a previous cycle. I chose paid research position and I would choose it again 1000x over.  PM for more info.